Coronavirus

Getting vaccine shot 1 of 2 tomorrow. I 100% hate needles. A primary reason I have never gotten a tattoo. Will suck it up for this though
I´m not a needle fan either.
No tattoos on my body (although there are more reasons for that than just the needle thing)

Apparently you get a free tattoo with the Pfizer one. Or was it a sticker? I can't remember. ;)

I would absolutely love to get a shot, I'd take it right away and I'd binge on AstraZeneca if necessary. However, in my city of 3.7 million people, there are only six official vaccination centres. Vaccinations are tiered by age and relevance groups, and registrations are only possible after receiving an official invite. My dad (74) received one last week, mum (70) hasn't yet. My dad registered and will have his first shot in mid-April, the second one in May.

Fuck. This.

People over 95 are receiving the vaccine. Doctors, nurses and health workers, dentists, teachers, police, firefighters,… all these people are receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine. My parents (85) didn't have received the phone call yet. There are problems with the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine supplies so the Health system are keeping the second shot and it looks that when the oldest people received the second shot. People over 90 will be called. By other hand I think they are waiting to Astrazeneca send hundred of thousands to vaccine massively to the mid-age people like me.

Getting vaccine shot 1 of 2 tomorrow. I 100% hate needles. A primary reason I have never gotten a tattoo. Will suck it up for this though

I hate needles too.

When I was growing up in the 80s, heroin use was rife in people who were slightly older than me. I guess not liking needles and seeing how damaged addicts ended up being as a result of substance abuse put me off trying drugs.

People over 95 are receiving the vaccine. Doctors, nurses and health workers, dentists, teachers, police, firefighters,… all these people are receiving the AstraZeneca vaccine. My parents (85) didn't have received the phone call yet. There are problems with the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine supplies so the Health system are keeping the second shot and it looks that when the oldest people received the second shot. People over 90 will be called. By other hand I think they are waiting to Astrazeneca send hundred of thousands to vaccine massively to the mid-age people like me.
I'd heard it had been very slow. Do you think they may be also planning ahead so they don't offer first dose until they know they have the supplies to offer the second dose within the recommended time?

Doing some simple math, I am number 191,195 on the county vaccine list, there are about 887K people that live in the county. So a fair amount vaccinated so far via the county vaccination program. I do not think that counts the early vaccinations for hospitals/fire/police/nursing homes. So by the end of today, over 200K people vaccinated (with at least the first dose)

I'd heard it had been very slow. Do you think they may be also planning ahead so they don't offer first dose until they know they have the supplies to offer the second dose within the recommended time?

That is my understanding of what they are doing. For example, if a GP surgery receives 300 doses, they administer 150 and offer the second dose within the recommended time to those who got the first dose.

Assuming this was my post you're replying to - that's at least part of it, yes. But there's a major communication breakdown if I have no idea when I can expect to be vaccinated.

Assuming this was my post you're replying to - that's at least part of it, yes. But there's a major communication breakdown if I have no idea when I can expect to be vaccinated.

They might prefer to wait until they can tell you for certain when you will be getting your jab rather than overpromise and bullshit. :)

My parents' elderly neighbour is finally getting her second dose (Pfizer vaccine)this week. Her 12 weeks would be up next week. Meanwhile someone I know who was offered a 'spare' first dose by her surgery last week but couldn't get there, now has Covid :(

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
This mostly shows how important it is to hammer the facts in. Vaccines are longed for and hailed as the salvation and people have been utterly craving social contact. This reaction is just, very human because they now finally feel safe. That's why information campaigns are so important. The message has to be hammered in, repeatedly and over time.

^Absolutely this. Despite people claiming to be so free thinking, the attitude change when news coverage emphasis changes slightly to focus on deaths and hospitals being crowded, or public health adverts become more hard hitting, is amazing. People went from accusing all those showing caution as being miserable grinches and interfering do gooders, to calling out those breaking the rules and offering to help those unable to go out for shopping. Of course as soon as the news starts interviewing shopkeepers and the owners of pub chains, people decide the danger is past now and everyone should just accept that there will be deaths and do as they please.

Back