Coronavirus

Yeah, fever and muscle pain yesterday evening and through part of the night, but I'm okay now.

Our Czech co-worker in Plzen has recovered, but he told us they're going into even stricter lockdown now as Czechia is seeing another surge in cases, possibly even worse than the last one.

Stay safe @JudasMyGuide!

Thank you for the kind thoughts. Yep, the situation is terrible, we are still riding the second wave from Autumn. Our government is criminally inept and nobody trusts them anymore, unfortunately that also means much more deniers and conspirators emerge. Now they're trying a sort-of lockdown, but a lot of people don't really care and the rules are once again chaotically thought-out and poorly implemented. Last time I checked the Parliament declined to prolong the state of emergency, because the government wasn't able to come up with any plan (apart from "order something on Monday and something completely different on Wednesday" - also, the state of emergency makes it easier to accept and go around the regulations for public offers, which of course our Prime Minister, whose more or less a hidden-in-plain-sight robber baron who has been misusing his influence to his benefit for the past seven years and has been investigated and accused by the EU as such*) but now we're back there, because people drop like flies.

The Germans now said they can't look at it and they are offering us beds, meds, everything. And most people are really grateful, but there are some Russian-aligned conspirators etc. who ask what will they want in return and that "nothing good ever came from Germany" and so on.
There's a lot of conspiracy talk about how medical professionals are being paid to pretend the hospitals are full and so on.

And a lot of people (including me) are blaming the government - after the brutal lockdown last March/April, when it eased, they did nothing to prepare for any possible resurgence. When the opposition wanted to talk about this, it was all

1614673308079.png

and they didn't order people to wear face masks again until we were halfway through Autumn already, because it was unpopular already then and the parties in the government cared more about regional elections. We were pretty much fine ("Best in Covid") and they did nothing to increase the number of beds or medical personnel or anything. And then, when we were slowly falling into this downward spiral, the strict regulations towards all citizens came and went, on Tuesday they ordered something "for the next two weeks" and two days later they looked at the numbers from Monday and changed everything. And then they opened pretty much everything because of the Christmas shopping season.

And also cue riots against masks and shit like that.

Me and wife are being careful and have only actually met with our godfathers - who have a really strict regime like us and my in-laws (and not even the former lately). More or less for the past year. With two kids in a small flat. It's insane. And now, because the borders of regions have been shut I can't even really take them for a car-ride, which was one of the few escapes from the elder one teething and the younger having colics, it's yet funnier again.

A friend of ours - same age as us - recently had a severe case of the British version. He was this close to ventilation and the only reason they didn't hospitalize him was that he still had some residual breathing and that the drugs his wife give him was already the maximum they could give him there. Was coughing up blood and brown sputum. Extremely high fevers for about 8-9 days. A week after that he still couldn't breathe enough to be able to do anything more than go to a toiled twice a day. Thank God it looks like they're all going to be alright.

Not complaining. I try to take what I am given and there were much worse plagues and pandemics in the history of mankind. But the country is in a really dark place right now and I am sad for it.

* Actually, in the previous waves of restrictions whether a certain type of shop will or won't be closed actually did depen on whether someone on the government had a personal interest in that.

Last edited:
In Germany, there has so far been a complete failure with vaccinations. At the end of last year, plenty of government-sponsored vaccination centres were established and put on standby until there was green light for the vaccines. And then until the vaccines were starting to be delivered. And now, the process is suffering from excessive regulations. So far, you only get to be vaccinated in one of the vaccination centres, not at your doctor's practice or in a hospital and the government has not yet given any signal that this would change. At first there was the plan to have different tiers of vaccinations based on age, risk groups and profession, but these tiers have already been modified. AstraZeneca has a poor public image due to some negative reporting in the press, all of which wasn't true. A lot of people refuse to take it, but there's no real freedom of choice because of the limited amount of doses available for every vaccine, so some people just refuse to get vaccinated. Add to this that I'm in one of the most incompetently run states of the country, where the government requires excessive contractual regulations for staff working in vaccination centres, while being slow both with approval and with payment, which has already led to some companies withdrawing their staff. There are also other legal problems with how the government is handling this. Quite honestly, I'm currently not expecting to be vaccinated before autumn, if at all this year.

I would like to never hear about German efficiency again.

In Germany, there has so far been a complete failure with vaccinations. At the end of last year, plenty of government-sponsored vaccination centres were established and put on standby until there was green light for the vaccines. And then until the vaccines were starting to be delivered. And now, the process is suffering from excessive regulations. So far, you only get to be vaccinated in one of the vaccination centres, not at your doctor's practice or in a hospital and the government has not yet given any signal that this would change. At first there was the plan to have different tiers of vaccinations based on age, risk groups and profession, but these tiers have already been modified. AstraZeneca has a poor public image due to some negative reporting in the press, all of which wasn't true. A lot of people refuse to take it, but there's no real freedom of choice because of the limited amount of doses available for every vaccine, so some people just refuse to get vaccinated. Add to this that I'm in one of the most incompetently run states of the country, where the government requires excessive contractual regulations for staff working in vaccination centres, while being slow both with approval and with payment, which has already led to some companies withdrawing their staff. There are also other legal problems with how the government is handling this. Quite honestly, I'm currently not expecting to be vaccinated before autumn, if at all this year.

I would like to never hear about German efficiency again.

Sounds like a big mess!

It is also interesting to see how some European countries are now back-pedalling regarding the AstraZeneca vaccine after they have witnessed that the political games played by some (e.g. Macron) are backfiring massively with the population now refusing to get vaccinated.

Understandable, have a great day.

Seriously though that does suck, but hopefully things start getting better soon. I know that's mostly a pipe dream but hope and positivity have worked so far in helping me get through the pandemic. Especially in the US, where half the population doesn't even believe it's serious.

Soon we'll have like 1/6 of the population vaccinated, but we still have an enormous daily number of cases (like 4000 today), mostly because clubs and restaurants are still not closed (they just work shorter hours), and ski centers and such are filled to the brim with people who aren't socially distancing.

Soon we'll have like 1/6 of the population vaccinated, but we still have an enormous daily number of cases (like 4000 today), mostly because clubs and restaurants are still not closed (they just work shorter hours), and ski centers and such are filled to the brim with people who aren't socially distancing.

For what is worth, some of the leading Spanish media are using Serbia as an example of what the EU should have done in terms of vaccines.

Thank you for the kind thoughts. Yep, the situation is terrible, we are still riding the second wave from Autumn. Our government is criminally inept and nobody trusts them anymore, unfortunately that also means much more deniers and conspirators emerge. Now they're trying a sort-of lockdown, but a lot of people don't really care and the rules are once again chaotically thought-out and poorly implemented. Last time I checked the Parliament declined to prolong the state of emergency, because the government wasn't able to come up with any plan (apart from "order something on Monday and something completely different on Wednesday" - also, the state of emergency makes it easier to accept and go around the regulations for public offers, which of course our Prime Minister, whose more or less a hidden-in-plain-sight robber baron who has been misusing his influence to his benefit for the past seven years and has been investigated and accused by the EU as such*) but now we're back there, because people drop like flies.

The Germans now said they can't look at it and they are offering us beds, meds, everything. And most people are really grateful, but there are some Russian-aligned conspirators etc. who ask what will they want in return and that "nothing good ever came from Germany" and so on.
There's a lot of conspiracy talk about how medical professionals are being paid to pretend the hospitals are full and so on.

And a lot of people (including me) are blaming the government - after the brutal lockdown last March/April, when it eased, they did nothing to prepare for any possible resurgence. When the opposition wanted to talk about this, it was all

View attachment 13940

and they didn't order people to wear face masks again until we were halfway through Autumn already, because it was unpopular already then and the parties in the government cared more about regional elections. We were pretty much fine ("Best in Covid") and they did nothing to increase the number of beds or medical personnel or anything. And then, when we were slowly falling into this downward spiral, the strict regulations towards all citizens came and went, on Tuesday they ordered something "for the next two weeks" and two days later they looked at the numbers from Monday and changed everything. And then they opened pretty much everything because of the Christmas shopping season.

And also cue riots against masks and shit like that.

Me and wife are being careful and have only actually met with our godfathers - who have a really strict regime like us and my in-laws (and not even the former lately). More or less for the past year. With two kids in a small flat. It's insane. And now, because the borders of regions have been shut I can't even really take them for a car-ride, which was one of the few escapes from the elder one teething and the younger having colics, it's yet funnier again.

A friend of ours - same age as us - recently had a severe case of the British version. He was this close to ventilation and the only reason they didn't hospitalize him was that he still had some residual breathing and that the drugs his wife give him was already the maximum they could give him there. Was coughing up blood and brown sputum. Extremely high fevers for about 8-9 days. A week after that he still couldn't breathe enough to be able to do anything more than go to a toiled twice a day. Thank God it looks like they're all going to be alright.

Not complaining. I try to take what I am given and there were much worse plagues and pandemics in the history of mankind. But the country is in a really dark place right now and I am sad for it.

* Actually, in the previous waves of restrictions whether a certain type of shop will or won't be closed actually did depen on whether someone on the government had a personal interest in that.

So sorry to hear this. Czechia and Portugal are two examples of countries that did really well in the first wave a year ago but that now seem to be suffering a lot. :(

Texas And Mississippi To Allow Concert Venues To Reopen At Full Capacity; Masks No Longer Required

Back