Coronavirus

Maybe it'll work better when framed in terms of transmission of bugs, staff absences and health and safety. Execs would consider stale air a cosmetic issue and only of significance in places where the top brass work. So many offices are terrible for fresh air circulation, especially small ones in converted shops and houses.
In one of my previous jobs (a company whose name most people would recognise) they used to refer to this as "sick building syndrome" - they recognised that it was a thing but it didn't occur to anyone that there was anything to do except put up with it.

Regarding executives and their opinions on stale air, the majority simply didn't notice it and insisted I was making a fuss about nothing. I can only assume that they must have been sub/pre-human lifeforms whose brains were not sufficiently evolved to require oxygen to function - one step up from primeval pondslime, say. (That or the jobs they did simply didn't require them to engage their brains ...)

Last edited:
Air so stale, old wives tale
Air so stale, an old wives tale
Air so stale, old wives tale
Air so stale, an old wives tale

Repeat

Outro,

(Stale air!)
Baby it's no crazy old hag's tale
it'll bring an actual pain
Cause the air is now so stale
(Stale air!)

If we won't ventilate like this
We'll be purple like Thanos' fist
Won't you change the air so stale?
(Stale air!)

143410280_1332482317110728_7616970823140567358_n.jpg

Good news: vaccination is gaining speed after a slow start, and new cases figures are on a steady decline all over the country.

Bad news: An increasing proportion of new cases are of the British variant and cases of the South African one are starting to appear.

I read that 10 M in UK has received the first dose of the vaccine. It's great. Congratulations for that.
Is the AstraZeneca the only vaccine the UK citizens are receiving or you are receiving Moderna and Pfizer?

And yes, the bad news are the British, the Brazilian and the South African variants are everywhere right now.
Yesterday one Brazilian person tested positive in Madrid with the Brazilian variant, and my question is, what happen with the rest of the passengers of that plane? maybe they has been tested negative but in a few days could be infected and the network of people that has been in contact with them could be huge. The borders controls are random so this is a big problem to control the spreading over the world.

I read that 10 M in UK has received the first dose of the vaccine. It's great. Congratulations for that.
Is the AstraZeneca the only vaccine the UK citizens are receiving or you are receiving Moderna and Pfizer?

And yes, the bad news are the British, the Brazilian and the South African variants are everywhere right now.
Yesterday one Brazilian person tested positive in Madrid with the Brazilian variant, and my question is, what happen with the rest of the passengers of that plane? maybe they has been tested negative but in a few days could be infected and the network of people that has been in contact with them could be huge. The borders controls are random so this is a big problem to control the spreading over the world.

I believe people in the UK are getting the Pfizer or the AstraZeneca vaccines. In spite of their incompetence dealing with the pandemic, the UK government has managed to give a first dose to a significant percentage of those most at risk.

Border controls seem to be a joke everywhere.

The Pfizer jab seems to be petering out now and it's mainly the AZ one that's being given. My parents had their first shot today. Waiting for them to restart so I can see if they're running Windows 10 yet. :p

The first shot figures are great, 11.4 million, the second shot....only half a million so far. If they keep on at this rate, c. 500000 first shots a day but only about 4000 second shots a day, I don't see how people are going to get their second shot within even 12 weeks. There's a team working on behalf of the Government on a study to find if a 'mix and match' of two different vaccines will work. I still smell a cockup waiting to happen.

The outcome of our office outbreak has been interesting. Management do stick to the law and guidance like glue, and although there's been some rule breaking by staff, it's more or less observed quite well. However, the distanced desks, masks for walking around the office, and handwashing, were simply not enough to stop Covid spreading. There's basically no doubt that people were catching it in the workplace, not from elsewhere. They're adopting additional measures suggested by a HSE inspector, including a lot of opening windows because ventilation is dire in the building, especially the area where the outbreak was. We'll see how long that lasts, though, people will be absolutely freezing with the windows open.

The first shot figures are great, 11.4 million, the second shot....only half a million so far. If they keep on at this rate, c. 500000 first shots a day but only about 4000 second shots a day, I don't see how people are going to get their second shot within even 12 weeks. There's a team working on behalf of the Government on a study to find if a 'mix and match' of two different vaccines will work. I still smell a cockup waiting to happen.
I think this is why things started slow in Norway. They wanted to make sure everyone who receives the first shot will also receive the 2nd within the certified time frame.

Waiting longer is an experiment and if successful, your government can be very happy. But if it turns out a longer wait means immunity fades quicker ... more trouble could be coming in the spring. Time will tell.

Regardless of policy chosen, supply is going to be the limiting factor on the largest scale (i.e. continental and global). Widespread travel between countries won't take place before a significant amount of people have been vaccinated across all affected countries. And full normality, if such a thing ever existed, won't return until the same can be said for every country in the world.

Indeed! The travel company lobby had no leg to stand on when other countries slammed down the doors to limit the spread of the UK variant. They can promise all they like about everything being back to normal in summer, but other countries might just have some say on that. The economy can't operate in isolation of the rest of the global economy, either. If that's subdued, it affects the UK economy too.

My concern with vaccination isn't only delaying the second shot up to 12 weeks, and potential delays way beyond 12 weeks, it's whether most people get their second dose at all. Should death rates and cases drop away - which might be due to social and household habits in the warmer spring weather rather than immunity - I can see them deciding it doesn't matter any more. I wouldn't put it past them shelving the vaccination programme entirely after the top priority groups have at least one dose.

My concern with vaccination isn't only delaying the second shot up to 12 weeks, and potential delays way beyond 12 weeks, it's whether most people get their second dose at all. Should death rates and cases drop away - which might be due to social and household habits in the warmer spring weather rather than immunity - I can see them deciding it doesn't matter any more. I wouldn't put it past them shelving the vaccination programme entirely after the top priority groups have at least one dose.
That's the government's job to hunt people down. I'm not going anywhere until I've had both jabs AND waited at least a month for that sweet, sweet full immunity.

And it's the Government that I think won't follow up and provide the second dose. People who've gone for their first jab will very likely be up for their second, a lot are surprisingly enthusiastic about it.

Back