Coronavirus

And people are behaving like idiots here, even as the second wave seem to have arrived in several cities so far. The COVID fatique has taken over. Not being subjected to actual full fledged lockdown requires personal responsibility. It's a luxuary at this point. Act like in the spring instead of pretending it's over. A lot of every day steps can be taken without even having to compromise on much, but even this is too much to ask for. People on the bus? Don't get on it. Don't stand in ques with less than 2 meter apart. Wash hands a shitton of times per day and don't party. What the hell.

Covid has understandingly has hogged the headlines, but let's not forget influenza is still a thing and a threat. Here in Mexico we also have to worry about Dengue and just read an article saying that from Jan 1st to Oct we've had 89 cases of leprosy.... 2020, imma right?

There are over 18,500 cases and 230 deaths in Poland today. It is unofficially predicted that our healthcare system will collapse by the end of the week.

This is a message from a friend regarding the hospital situation, sorry for the rough translation:

3 weeks ago:
- grandmother treated for a week by telephone advice
- finally examined - lie down, watch
- a day later, her uncle took her to the hospital - poor saturation, oxygen immediately, covid test - positive, transport to the infectious ward

parallel:
- grandfather the same symptoms
- treated over the phone, the test is not needed, so what about the wife in the infectious diseases ward
- it started to get worse - maybe let's do a test (doctor's opinion over the phone)
- the test came out "questionable", grandfather began to choke in every second word and could not stand
- ordinary hospital blamed the covid hospital (because the wife, the test is uncertain and the symptoms match), the covid hospital was blaming the regular hospital "because you are not in the sanepid database"
- the regular hospital accepted my grandfather after 3 hours of crying on the line and the soft heart of the dispatcher
- 5 days without the possibility of a shower, under a blanket, in the clothes he arrived in, he was lying in the room in the emergency department with the annotation "maybe covid"
- after a week, they moved my grandfather to the internal medicine ward, when a patient in the bed next to my grandfather died at night, he lay there until 4 p.m. the next day, because there was no one to clean up the body of the deceased.

Two days after the two of them were in hospitals on TVP (Polish TV station controlled by the government):
- everything under control
- we are well prepared
- we have respirators!
- the epidemic is retreating
- there are enough beds for everyone, hospitals are prepared

It is not known whether to laugh or cry. During the last 4 years, my grandparents began to believe in the news. At the first lockdown, they were scared and actually did not go out according to what they said on TV, put on gloves, accepted help with shopping, and then they ignored the topic and with "the pandemic is almost gone" among them and their group of friends covid fell like a bomb and half are fighting for their lives.

Last edited:
We're fucked too. The hospital capacity will go to 100% if daily # cases continues to go up. Some measures are implemented, lockdown might get implemented. The people tho, they don't care.

15117948.jpg

70th anniversary of a local football supporters group, massive public celebrations lasting couple of days. No masks no distancing.

523 deaths in 24h in France. The president is to speak tonight but it is already clear at least partial lockdown is to happen (probably four weeks), mainly to be able to take patients from overcrowded hospitals to those where there is still room.

We're breaking domestic records in infections per day, so I'm gonna take the whole November off regarding social gatherings, except for special cases. Just gonna take walks and maybe meet in the supermarket with a friend who lives close by (with masks, obviously) and that's it.

We're breaking domestic records in infections per day, so I'm gonna take the whole November off regarding social gatherings, except for special cases. Just gonna take walks and maybe meet in the supermarket with a friend who lives close by (with masks, obviously) and that's it.
I'm taking steps as well. Only thing planned is a hotel visit in Stockholm this weekend as my wife turns 30 as well as a visit to a cake shop in Stockholm on Sunday as it's her actual birthday then. We're going to stay out of bars, public transport and we're not going to do a lot of shopping, if any. I've also ordered masks since it's harder to stay distanced in a heavily populated area than at home. And we're going to wash our hands a ton of times (I always do anyway though).

I hardly ever meet anyone. Twice a week I go to my nearest supermarket, once a week take a bus to go to the larger supermarket at the mall, and I think I'll be meeting my relatives once a week. I wear a mask when I go to the mall, although reluctantly. The number of cases in Finland has been 200-300 a day last few weeks, but the numbers are getting down a bit and have been about 200 for a week. Very few people are hospitalized and a very small number of deaths. Fortunately I'm coping better with working from home, because I now feel part of my team even if I don't meet anyone, and it's so dark and dreary I don't really feel like leaving home. :)

It's October! How did it take so long?
There's no official recommendation to use it, with regards to the complications of mask handling (touching face/mask and thus spreading the virus that way, reusing it without cleaning it, people thinking it's enough with just masks and don't distance instead/stay home when you have mild symptoms, since you "have a mask"). Those complications are real, but it's common knowledge if handled correctly, they do protect those around you and to a degree yourself too, depending on what filtering rating they have. All in all, mask do a lot more good than not. I wouldn't get on a subway without it, that's for sure, and I don't get how that's not an official mandate with masks on public transports. Not that I would get on one if I can avoid it anyway.

My estimate is around 1% in public use masks.

My estimate is around 1% in public use masks.
We bought ours in March, and everyone in my apartment wears one outdoors. On the other hand, we went out on a trip last week, and only about 10% of people were wearing them.

I still haven't read any real sturdy and proper scientific proof that masks help in the Finnish situation (won't say anything about other countries, because virus situation and cultures are different). Many doctors and other authorities seem to say that they may help, or that in addition to safety distances, handwashing and staying at home if you have any cold symptoms, there may be a small added benefit. I would kind of understand it if you could do as you please if you wear a mask, but very difficult to see how a mask helps if you're already keeping a 2 meter gap to all people all the time, and only passing others by or maybe spend max 15 mins on a bus with a couple of people in it. There is a recommendation here to wear it on public transport and public inside places like shops. I've been a nice girl and worn it since August, when they gave the first official recommendation, even though the mask is really, really uncomfortable and I don't like it at all.

All right, now Lamia stops ranting about masks before she gets extremely upset. This is a topic that really makes my blood boil.

very difficult to see how a mask helps if you're already keeping a 2 meter gap to all people all the time, and only passing others by or maybe spend max 15 mins on a bus with a couple of people in it.
Oh, right, I forgot how Finnish people have the concept of "personal space in public".

Lockdown, we have a lockdown! The German government just announced measures for November.
The Germans act quicker than us, with better stats (if I may phrase it this way). I wonder how long it will take for our country to follow suit. We have a "partial lockdown" now.

Cancelled the Stockholm trip, and booked a weekend w. a suite at an Inn in a very small, old town halfway between here and Stockholm. It feels better.

Plus, the suite came with a jaccuzzi. Was almost twice as expensive than the initial trip, but whatever, it's her 30th.

But you'll keep using the elevator, I hope.

NP is gonna spend all his free time riding the elevator up and down in hopes of another encounter with Elevator Dog Girl.

Back