Coming Home

How good is Coming Home on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
I can't believe how powerful this simple tune is.  What I cannot wait for is getting a copy of this tune live from Brazil!  Whole audience singing along... chills

One of the best things about any new Maiden album is that it's a guarantee some previously OK song will just click for you after repeated listenings.
Thought Coming Home had a good vocal performance, but the melody hadn't really grabbed my gut on the first eight listens.
Then I went for a walk by myself tonight at dusk with TFF loud on the headphones.
I'm up high above the coast. The air's warm. The ocean is glass. The sun's going down over the mountains.
I'm thinking I'm pretty lucky to live where I do.
And Coming Home came on.
Magic.

I've said it before.  Nothing since SSOASS has the tight, spotless perfection that we have here in"coming home'.  I could tell even during the 30 sec sample it was special, but I had no idea it was this good.
  I've not heard Bruce wanting to get his message to the  listener this desperately before.  He is grabbing us by the shirt collar and pleading with us to understand his level of passion for his country, and his joy of flying.  At the same time, a heavenly melodic wave carries us along and delivers us seamlessly at a chorus that rocks us into a metal lather.  Then the solo.  Like a serpent it slithers into the song and twists and turns then climaxes and spills us seamlessly into  the arms of the familiar chorus.  Bruce then takes us... "home".  I just never want this song to end  once it begins.  Coming home 5/5 all the way.

Just a lonely satellite
A speck of dust in cosmic sand

That sure sounds like it's about a spaceship to me, but then when he comes back down to Earth, he lands in the UK. Since Maiden are from there, that works for me. :)

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Just a lonely satellite
A speck of dust in cosmic sand

That sure sounds like it's about a spaceship to me, but then when he comes back down to Earth, he lands in the UK. Since Maiden are from there, that works for me. :)

I believe I recall that airlines fly high enough to technically be considered a satellite. I have been known to be wrong on occasion, though. The song is definitely related to him being a pilot of an airliner, though. This is Bruce trying to explain to us what it feels like for him while he's flying a plane.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Oh, I see. Now that I know what it's truly about, that is awesome!

It sure is! I love the line about streaching out his hand in front of his face, and his fingers span across entire countries

Rivet_Head said:
Anyway - its nice to know there are actually women who enjoy Maiden.
Hah, my mom is 52 and loves Maiden. She went to their concert with me in 2008. Shame she's only about 150cm tall, didn't see to much - gotta get in the front row next time!  :lol:

And on topic, this is a great song. Top notch, it could be among the best songs on the album, but it's just such stable quality that I can't really rate any of the songs higher than another. All the songs have an unique atmosphere, and this has that very emotional feeling.

This song makes me sing, which is bad for everyone but me.  I looked at my iTunes and noticed this song had 37 plays, while the next highest was 22 (isle of avalon).  I guess this is one of my favorites!

One of my favorite little subtle things about this song is the "to albions land" part. I relate this to the pre-climax moment during sex. I find music and sex very similar.  

Sir_Arthur_Conan_Death said:
H's solo in this amazing song sounds like he recorded it through a sex machine instead of an amplifier.

Just paid attention to the solos in this song for the first time, great stuff from Adrian. Dave's solo is a bit "default" though, nothing special.

I like the lyrics a lot, especially the "no creed, no religion, just a hundred winged souls". The "lonely satellite, a speck of dust in cosmic sand" could be a reference both to the airplane, but also to Earth itself, how it looks tiny from up above and obviously how insignificant it indeed is when you compare it to the universe.

Hope it gets played next year!

LeakPlease said:
One of my favorite little subtle things about this song is the "to albions land" part. I relate this to the pre-climax moment during sex. 

Is that because the next word is 'coming'?

:innocent:

Back