Coming Home

How good is Coming Home on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
That's a reference to England, so it makes sense.
I can't make it through the album without playing this song again. Incredible. It's truly incredible.
When I stand before you shining in the early morning sun
When I feel the engines roar and I think of what we've done
Oh the bittersweet reflection as we kiss the earth goodbye
As the waves and echoes of the towns become the ghosts of time

Over borders that divide the earthbound tribes
No creed and no religion just a hundred winged souls
We will ride this thunderbird, silver shadows on the earth
A thousand leagues away, our land of birth

To Albion's land
Coming home when I see the runway lights
In the misty dawn the night is fading fast
Coming home, far away as their vapor trails align
Where I've been tonight, you know I will not stay

Curving on the edge of daylight til it slips into the void
Waited in the long night, dreaming til the sun is born again
Stretched the fingers of my hand, covered countries with my span
Just a lonely satellite, speck of dust and cosmic sand

Over borders that divide the earthbound tribes
Through the dark Atlantic; over mounting stormy waves
We will ride this thunderbird, silver shadows on the earth
A thousand leagues away, our land of birth

To Albion's land

To Albion's land
Coming home, far away when I see the runway lights

OMG! It describes what Bruces sees /feels when he flights back home!
My appreciation for the song touched the huge level, what a poetic way to describe your come back 'from work'. Kudos to Bruce.

*from now on a 5 star song in the book of 5*

I feel that they could make a good video for this song. They could have shots of Bruce air, some cockpit footage etc. They could have it arranged like Wasted Years video.

Yes, exactly. It's about Bruce flying home. You can tell how much he loves his home, as much as he loves flying…perhaps the whole band links into it as well, relating to returning from a tour, but…it's definitely primarily Bruce.

Moonchild33 said:
The first line in the chorus is driving me nuts. And I still don't know about the "over the mountains, stony graves" part, but that's what I hear.

The beginning of that line sounds like "Through the dark Atlantic..."

EDIT: Haha nvm, I somehow missed LC's post. :innocent:

I think this is Bruce's best performance on the album, primarily because he's singing from experience. This song is about him, it's his baby. I love this. Almost makes me cry. :blush:

Yah Stan, I teared up big time on the second listen.  This song makes me proud to an I.M fan. I feel like the past 30 years of loving this band was not in vein.  I had this joy coming the whole time!!  I am in love with coming home!!  Loose Cannon absolutely right, gotta listen to this one twice as you go through the album.  Perfect song.

It's very similar to Bruce solo stuff, but it has such a great backline that you know it's Maiden. I wonder how long Bruce has been working on this piece.

No…"To Albion's Land" means "Going to England". Albion is a poetic name for England.

LooseCannon said:
No…"To Albion's Land" means "Going to England". Albion is a poetic name for England.

Yeah, I know what Albion is, but I hear it as "'til" -- as in, they're calling themselves albions.  I could be wrong.  I hear "to" if I think of "to" during the chorus and I hear "'til" if I think of "'til".  Someone with the booklet will fix this dilemma I'm sure haha.

Yeah, but you wouldn't call yourself an Albion…that doesn't make sense. It's like a proper name for England…like if England had a first name, it'd be Albion England.

LooseCannon said:
It's very similar to Bruce solo stuff, but it has such a great backline that you know it's Maiden. I wonder how long Bruce has been working on this piece.

To write something that's actually personal doesn't take longer than 2 hours, lol. I'm sure Bruce wrote these quick... he can relate to this stuff.

Seems like most people like this from the beginning. It's definitely my favourite of the album, and the chorus is just magnificent. This song will be a killer live. The introriff is also great.

To albion's land. Coming home, when I see the runway lights.. Ah, I love it.

Back