Coming Home

How good is Coming Home on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Speaking of this song: While I was sitting in a restaurant at Copenhagen Airport on Friday evening, waiting for my flight to Trondheim, I was having a couple of beers and watching the planes take off and land. (I really like airports where one can see the planes taxiing back and forth, taking off and landing. I also like airports where the beer costs one third of what it does in Norwegian airports).

Guess which song was stuck in my head for those two hours  :D

When I stand before you shining in the early morning sun
When I feel the engines roar and I think of what we've done

Man, I can so clearly picture Bruce walking up to his plane, running his hand along it as he starts an early morning pre-flight.  Great imagery, especially to an airplane nut like me.

Stretched the fingers of my hand, covered countries with my span
Pure poetic gold...

This song is amazing; it reminds me of Bruce's best solo work. I absolutely love H's solo... the guy sure knows how to put feeling and emotion in his leads!

'Coming Home' somehow reminds me of the holy 'Navigate The Seas Of The Sun'. However, it comes off second best.

I don't get the fuss about 'Coming Home'. It's one of the weaker songs of the album. I find 'Out Of The Shadows' way better.

Coming Home is brilliant. The lyrics and the way Bruce sings makes it such an emotional track, it's incredibly catchy and has some great Adrian moments. Unlike OOTS, I really loved this track upon first listen.

Moonchild33 said:
Coming Home is brilliant. The lyrics and the way Bruce sings makes it such an emotional track, it's incredibly catchy and has some great Adrian moments. Unlike OOTS, I really loved this track upon first listen.

I might have crapped on your namesake on the other thread, but I am with you 100 per cent on this one.
Best song of its type in the catalogue.

Not to be negative, but I don't understand why people like this song.  To me it's by far the worst on the album... then again Dickinson's solo stuff never did much for me either.  To each his own.

There's something about this that when I listen to the opening lines, I have this mental picture of a pilot walking in slow motion towards the "Thunderbird" as it gleams in the "morning sun". I really should not go into music video production as that would just look too cheesy.

Thunderbirds.jpg

You know, we all could just look in the lyrics book and see that it is "Flown the dark Atlantic, over mariners' stormy graves"

Just sayin'

I thought it was "over many stormy graves". But that makes much more sense. My second favorite of the album. Bruce manages to turn an every day situation (coming home from a tour) into a poetic fantasy. This is a bit personal: I went to Amsterdam in september and absolutely loved the place. Back then I was still getting familiar with the record, and I remembered the chorus to this song just as I was watching the black night sky in Rome as my plane was landing. Needless to say I wasn't sharing Bruce's joy at coming back home at all LOL. I kinda turned the meaning of the song inside out. Only great songs compel you to do that.

Invader said:
Lyrically, the emotion in this song beats even Blood Brothers simply because Bruce is a better lyricist than Steve.  Musically, though, it still loses.

This song more than any other on the album makes me sing along, and not just with the chorus.  I love how Bruce sings "We will ride this thunderbird".

I don't think Bruce is a better lyricist than 'Arry, Steve Harris IMO has written better classic songs than Bruce, I love Coming Home but it is no more special lyrically than Seventh Son, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, Alexander or one of my personal favourites Judgement Of Heaven!!

A lonely cry for help reaching out for help to anyone
A silent prayer to God to help you on your way
I've been depressed so long
It's hard to remember when I was happy
I've felt like suicide a dozen times or more
But that's the easy way, that's the selfish way
the hardest part is to get on with your life

You're searching in the dark
clutching at straws to find a way
You take the Tarot cards and throw them to the wind

You question your beliefs,
your inner thoughts, your whole existence
And if there is a God then answer if you will
And tell me of my fate, tell me of my place
Tell me if I'll ever rest in peace

If you could live your life again
Would you change a thing or leave it all the same
If you had the chance again
Would you change a thing at all
When you look back at your past
Can you say that you are proud of what you've done
Are there times when you believe
That the right you thought was wrong

All of my life I have believed
Judgement of Heaven is waiting for me

Waiting for me
Waiting for me
Waiting for me

(yea yea!)

All of my life now I have believed
Judgement of Heaven awaits for me
All of my life now I have believed
Judgement of Heaven awaits for me

(..yea)

Waiting for me
Waiting for me
Waiting for me

(yea yea, yeeeaa..)

For the sake of archiving:

For this album, Coming Home was the 1st song that was recorded, on January 11, 2010.

Last edited:
An Amazing song and one of my faves off the album. However, I slightly prefer OOTS overall.

mtmccox said:
Dave's solo is unbelievably amazing! For me the most memorable solo on the album.
Dave has certainly taken it up a notch on this album. He doesn't solo as much (I think this is the first time H had more solos) but everyone is very good. Especially this one.

Back