• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought me liking Hey Ya would be a guilty pleasure. Glad to see it's not.

"Hey Ya!" is one of the few mainstream hits from my mid-teens that I really like, so I have a certain attachment to it. And it is a good song.

Hey Ya a classic rock song? :blink:

I posted this on the previous page. I too was surprised, but...

That song got ranked by four radio stations as a top 500 rock song nonetheless.

#131 by one of the two Philadelphia stations, #286 in Pittsburgh. All three Pennsylvania stations were by far the heaviest on soul music, and I'm sure that's why they listed this. Hey Ya may not be rock, but it's fair to call it soul.

#173 in Australia. That station had the greatest emphasis on recent songs.

#273 in Seattle, one of the "alternative" stations I used.

Yeah, I read your criteria, and it wasn't a criticism of your inclusion. I'm just... surprised it's on those lists. By my definition, it's not a rock song, and I'm having a hard time rating it as 'classic' material, given that... shit, has it been 11 years?

It is unquestionably the most surprising inclusion on the countdown. It is one of two songs by "rap" artists (the other is coming in round 32), but the other such song is much more rock.

Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 512 to 256, Round 29 of 64

This round introduces the #36 seed and its challengers...

A36.png

"Whole Lotta Love" (Led Zeppelin) [36] vs. "Mr. Tambourine Man" (Bob Dylan) [477]
"Whole Lotta Love" (Led Zeppelin) - 1969 - #2 US (Cashbox chart)
Ranked by 11 of 13 radio stations, highest in Boston: #21

"Mr. Tambourine Man" (Bob Dylan) - 1965
Ranked by 4 of 13 radio stations, highest in Seattle: #141

"Piece Of My Heart" (Janis Joplin) [221] vs. "Can't Find My Way Home" (Blind Faith) [292]
"Piece Of My Heart" (Janis Joplin) - 1968 - #12 US
Ranked by 6 of 13 radio stations, highest in Atlanta: #63

"Can't Find My Way Home" (Blind Faith) - 1969
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in Atlanta: #132

"You Give Love A Bad Name" (Bon Jovi) [93] vs. "Learning To Fly" (Pink Floyd) [420]
"You Give Love A Bad Name" (Bon Jovi)- 1986 - #1 US, #14 UK
Ranked by 7 of 13 radio stations, highest in Australia: #30

"Learning To Fly" (Pink Floyd) - 1987 - #70 US
Ranked by 7 of 13 radio stations, highest in Australia and Atlanta: #333

"Start Me Up" (The Rolling Stones) [164] vs. "Suspicious Minds" (Elvis Presley) [349]
"Start Me Up" (The Rolling Stones) - 1981 - #2 US, #7 UK
Ranked by 7 of 13 radio stations, highest in Ontario: #42

"Suspicious Minds" (Elvis Presley) - 1969 - #1 US
Ranked by 4 of 13 radio stations, highest in Pittsburgh: #81

One day left for Round 26
Also open: Round 27 , Round 28

My votes:

Sorry, Bob. Can't vote against this Zep monster here. Whole Lotta Love

Yes, the Janis song is technically credited to "Big Brother and the Holding Company". But it's much more famous for the singer, so I thought listing it as Janis would be more recognizable. If you've never heard of Blind Faith, it's a supergroup with Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood. Arguably the first true supergroup, including the traditional one album and never heard from again. Both songs are good, tough choice, but I'll go Janis. Piece Of My Heart

Pink Floyd is seed #420... seems about right. But the other one gets my vote. You Give Love A Bad Name

If I had told you there was only one Elvis song in the game, is this the song you would have guessed? It's a good Stones song, but I am genuinely a fan of The King. Suspicious Minds

"Mr. Tambourine Man" and "Piece of My Heart" are personal favourites of mine, though I like both of their opponents as well.
"Learning to Fly" is not great Floyd, but... you know, Bon Jovi.
Elvis. That Stones video though...

Zeppelin. Duh.
Blind Faith - terrific album, I second SMX's recommendation; Presence of the Lord is my favorite track.
Bon Jovi beats Pink Floyd? Yup, it's not a great Floyd song.
Suspicious Minds is an awesome track, I'd forgotten how much I liked it until I heard it here again. But Tattoo You was one of the first albums I ever owned and I have a soft spot for it. Start Me Up has one of the all-time great, most recognizable riffs. Plus, it's the first time I heard the prurient usage of the word "come" on the radio, but I was only 10 so I didn't know what it meant.

Last edited:
Back