• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tom Petty may be the only musician I thoroughly dislike. I can't think of a single song of his that I enjoy.

Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 512 to 256, Round 9 of 64

This round introduces the #56 seed and its challengers...

A56.png

"Somebody To Love" (Queen) [56] vs. "Misty Mountain Hop" (Led Zeppelin) [457]
"Somebody To Love" (Queen) - 1976
Ranked by 10 of 13 radio stations, highest in Philadelphia: #110

"Misty Mountain Hop" (Led Zeppelin) - 1971
Ranked by 6 of 13 radio stations, highest in Boston: #241

"Behind Blue Eyes" (The Who) [201] vs. "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" (The Police) [312]
"Behind Blue Eyes" (The Who) - 1971 - #34 US
Ranked by 6 of 13 radio stations, highest in Boston: #103

"Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" (The Police) - 1981 - #1 UK, #3 US
Ranked by 7 of 13 radio stations, highest in Tampa: #221

"The Weight" (The Band) [73] vs. "Baby I Love Your Way" (Peter Frampton) [440]
"The Weight" (The Band) - 1968 - #21 UK, #63 US
Ranked by 8 of 13 radio stations, highest in Pittsburgh: #13

"Baby I Love Your Way" (Peter Frampton) - 1976 - #12 US, #43 UK
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in New York City: #158

"Bad Moon Rising" (Creedence Clearwater Revival) [184] vs. "Foolin'" (Def Leppard) [329]
"Bad Moon Rising" (Creedence Clearwater Revival) - 1969 - #1 UK, #2 US
Ranked by 8 of 13 radio stations, highest in New York City: #140

"Foolin'" (Def Leppard) - 1983 - #28 US
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in Tampa: #52

One day left for Round 6
Also open: Round 7 , Round 8

My votes:

I love Zep, but this is a weak Zep song. The Queen song is a marvel. Somebody To Love
Brutal choice on the 2nd pair. One of the best Who songs, but that's my favorite Police song. Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Brutal choice on the 3rd pair too, differently. I'm not sure which of those I hate less. Let's try The Weight.
Used to love CCR, and especially this song, but it has worn off. Def Lep wins easy. Foolin'

Queen. Vaguely irritating Zep song vs. one of the best Queen songs.
The Police. I'm not quite as enamoured with "Behind Blue Eyes" as many others.
The Band. Not one of my favourites, but way better than Frampton.
CCR. I don't like Def Leppard at all.

Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 512 to 256, Round 13 of 64

This round introduces the #52 seed and its challengers...

A52.png

"You Can't Always Get What You Want" (The Rolling Stones) [52] vs. "Take Me Home Tonight" (Eddie Money) [461]
"You Can't Always Get What You Want" (The Rolling Stones) - 1969 - #42 US (1973)
Ranked by 9 of 13 radio stations, highest in Philadelphia: #17

"Take Me Home Tonight" (Eddie Money) - 1986 - #4 US
Ranked by 4 of 13 radio stations, highest in Washington DC: #205

"The Logical Song" (Supertramp) [205] vs. "Who Do You Love" (George Thorogood) [308]
"The Logical Song" (Supertramp) - 1979 - #6 US, #7 UK
Ranked by 6 of 13 radio stations, highest in Washington DC: #60

"Who Do You Love" (George Thorogood) - 1978
Ranked by 6 of 13 radio stations, highest in Philadelphia: #183

"Tiny Dancer" (Elton John) [77] vs. "Only The Good Die Young" (Billy Joel) [436]
"Tiny Dancer" (Elton John) - 1972 - #41 US
Ranked by 11 of 13 radio stations, highest in Ontario: #81

"Only The Good Die Young" (Billy Joel) - 1977 - #24 US
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in Washington DC: #217

"Sharp Dressed Man" (ZZ Top) [180] vs. "Feels Like The First Time" (Foreigner) [333]
"Sharp Dressed Man" (ZZ Top) - 1983 - #22 UK, #56 US
Ranked by 6 of 13 radio stations, highest in Philadelphia: #15

"Feels Like The First Time" (Foreigner) - 1977 - #4 US, #39 UK
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in Philadelphia: #161

One day left for Round 10
Also open: Round 11 ,Round 12

Stones
Thorogood (for some reason I can't stand that Supertramp song)
Elton John (This was probably the toughest choice this round. I feel some of Elton John's best work gets buried a bit under the big hits. Great songwriter and a great voice.)
ZZ Top

My votes:

Decent 80s pop song from Eddie, but nowhere near enough. Stones song is too classic. You Can't Always Get What You Want
I remember this Supertramp song as being one of the first 45s I ever bought. The Logical Song
Used to hate this Elton John song until Almost Famous got me. Tiny Dancer
I'm so sick of Sharp Dressed Man, thanks to playing it in too many bars. Feels Like The First Time

I had forgotten to turn on the "show votes publicly" option before... it's on now.

Elton John (This was probably the toughest choice this round. I feel some of Elton John's best work gets buried a bit under the big hits. Great songwriter.)
Agreed. I urge everybody who hasn't heard Goodbye Yellow Brick Road to do so ASAP. It's two discs and one great song after another.

Agreed. I urge everybody who hasn't heard Goodbye Yellow Brick Road to do so ASAP. It's two discs and one great song after another.

Lots of great songs on that album that didn't make the cut for this game. "Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding" and "Grey Seal" were both radio staples back in their day (esp. the latter). I also particularly like "All The Young Girls Love Alice".

Edit: had to fix a spelling error, because I don't know what a "funeral for a fried" would look like. Is it... raw potatoes serving as pallbearers for their fallen french-fried comrades?

That and....Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection, Madman Across The Water, Honky Chateau, Captain Fantastic...all fantastic albums IMO.

Madman Across The Water, Honky Chateau, Captain Fantastic...all fantastic albums IMO.

Don't know the first two as albums (I just know the hits) but I'll second these three.

Madman is where Elton upped his game. Yellow Brick doesn't happen without Madman. It is for Elton what Meddle was for Floyd.

Also Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player. Not quite as essential, but that whole Elton era is great.

Lots of great songs on that album that didn't make the cut for this game. "Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding" and "Grey Seal" were both radio staples back in their day (esp. the latter). I also particularly like "All The Young Girls Love Alice".
Both among my favorites on that album. Also Seen That Movie Too and Candle In the Wind. And of course the awesome title track.

Edit: Seconding Captain Fantastic. My introduction to Elton.

Don't know the first two as albums (I just know the hits) but I'll second these three.

Madman is where Elton upped his game. Yellow Brick doesn't happen without Madman. It is for Elton what Meddle was for Floyd.

Also Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player. Not quite as essential, but that whole Elton era is great.

Most of his 70s output are worth one's time. Caribou and Rock of The Westies are also both good, though non essential unless you're a fan.

Back