Chris Cornell Survivor - Fell On Black Days Wins!

Vote for your LEAST favorite song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, this album is truly bad. There are two good songs (Never Far Away and Two Drink Minimum) and one okay song (Long Gone). Even Cornell thought the same, as he recorded "rock" versions of two of them:

I legitimately like Never Far Away, even as a pop song. It's not surprising looking at the credits that Ryan Tedder produced a bunch of songs on this album (including this one) and they are far better than the songs he did not produce. For those unfamiliar, he's a producer and lead singer of OneRepublic - a band that essentially sounds like Never Far Away.

One more funny note: people seem to attribute a writing credit on Two Drink Minimum to John Mayer, which is clearly not true.

Anyway, voting for everything from this silly album except those three songs.

ELIMINATED
Part Of Me
Get Up
Take Me Alive
Scream

PROMOTED
Never Far Away
Long Gone
Two Drink Minimum

King Animal joins the game!

In early 2010, Soundgarden officially reunited after being broken up for 13 years. They would enter the studio the following year, and King Animal was eventually released in November of 2012. This would ultimately wind up being the final Soundgarden album.

Last edited:
There’s nothing terrible on King Animal. Actually, the music is fantastic. It’s dark, heavy, surprising, proggy, serpentine...unfortunately Cornell is the problem here. Except for some rare moments (Tralee, Black Saturday, Rowing) he sounds like he’s forgotten how to sing over a band. The melodies lack form and catchiness, like the words were pre-written and just slammed on top of instrumental tracks. Some tracks have a solid melodic grasp, but unfortunately those sound like average Cornell solo material (Halfway There) and lack the diverse music evident on most of this album.

I genuinely love Rowing and Tralee is also great, followed closely by Black Saturday. Eyelid's Mouth is also really cool. Everything else is Soundgarden background music. Still, it's better than Down on the Upside. I just wish this album was more cohesive, inspired and necessary.

Voting for everything from King Animal except the four I mentioned + Disappearing Act

This album is pretty solid all around. It is a huge breath of fresh air after the atrocity that is Scream. In terms of Soundgarden, I'd place it firmly at #3, just ahead of Down on the Upside.

Taree, Been Away Too Long, and Bones of Birds are the biggest highlights here for me. Rowing is also pretty cool.

4th of July
She'll Never Be Your Man
Non-State Actor
By Crooked Steps
A Thousand Days Before
Attrition

I'm going to leave this open for another week since I'm leaving for Arizona tonight and I won't be able to update until I get back.

Update incoming tonight. We'll be moving on to the final album of the game. She'll Never Be Your Man will lose out in its tie here with Disappearing Act due to the votes from the previous round.

ELIMINATED
She'll Never Be Your Man
Been Away Too Long
Blood On The Valley Floor
Bones Of Birds
Halfway There
Worse Dreams

PROMOTED
Billie Jean
Disappearing Act
You Know My Name

Higher Truth joins the game!

For Chris Cornell's final solo album, he returned to a much more traditional album with a soft, mellow sound similar to Euphoria Morning. Higher Truth was released in September of 2015 to generally favorable reviews.

This is the final album of our game. Once we get down to 10 songs, the Finals will begin with the first wave of promoted songs returning.

I really love the way this album sounds - the production is earthly, lush, yet sparse at the same time. I feel like Chris Cornell finally found his sound - more acoustic driven, but with all of the rock and jazz elements he previously used. Unfortunately, after the first few songs the quality really falls off here. There's nothing bad on this album, but it all gets very samey and a lot of the melodies don't do anything for me.

Voting for:
- everything except Broken Heart, Dead Wishes, Moon, and Blue Skies
- FOBD
- Black Saturday

Back