Can this still be real or just some crazy dream?

Question to the dreamers: if you have a nightmare, do you know how to escape from it? I mean like knowing in your nightmare it´s just a dream and you want to wake up. I dreamt I was in a room for an investigation and they put me on a chair, abit like dentists have one. It started to shake and I became abit nauseous. The lady who took the investigation looked more like a clairvoyant: dark hair, rubyred lips. She asked me to drink some water before the injection. I was: what injection? In your tongue. I freaked out in the dream and wanted to wake up. I noticed men in white coats looking at me and wondering why I suddenly faded and disappeared completely. Then I woke up.

Question to the dreamers: if you have a nightmare, do you know how to escape from it? I mean like knowing in your nightmare it´s just a dream and you want to wake up.

I very rarely (almost never, actually) have nightmares, but I had a pretty horrible dream last night involving the sudden and violent death of my dog, which I definitely didn't know I could escape from and left me laying awake at 2AM wanting to go into the lounge and check he was OK before I got a hold of myself.

He's fine, obviously. :)

Question to the dreamers: if you have a nightmare, do you know how to escape from it? I mean like knowing in your nightmare it´s just a dream and you want to wake up. I dreamt I was in a room for an investigation and they put me on a chair, abit like dentists have one. It started to shake and I became abit nauseous. The lady who took the investigation looked more like a clairvoyant: dark hair, rubyred lips. She asked me to drink some water before the injection. I was: what injection? In your tongue. I freaked out in the dream and wanted to wake up. I noticed men in white coats looking at me and wondering why I suddenly faded and disappeared completely. Then I woke up.
I’m often aware that I’m dreaming. Sometimes I know it clear as day, sometimes it’s a vague knowledge in the back of my mind. The case with nightmares, especially those where there is a monster/villain character, instead of running away, I usually end up running towards the monster. It’s a face-your-fears mentality and results in waking up the moment I come in contact with whoever is chasing me. I can’t say I’m in full control of my actions in such situations, it’s more like my brain is deciding for me to face the threat instead of escaping it.
The very worst nightmares I’ve had have frozen me in place, unable to move as a threat appears. With those, I tend to wake up once the fear/discomfort level has reached some threshold. I don’t wake up wide-eyed and gasping for air like in movies, but the level of anxiety can be quite high, as if the threat from the nightmare is still lurking in my room.

Last edited:
That's freaky shit, dude. Nightmares very rarely happen with me. Whenever they do, my instincts are usually pretty sharp. Even if I'm not cognitively aware I'm dreaming, I'm in survival mode and always aware of the stuation.

But, I'm a little crazy when it comes to dangerous situations. Freakiest dream I had I was standing on the top of some volcano like area and this giant demon thing came out and said it wanted it wanted to swallow my pitiful soul. So I said "Jokes on you "§$%er, I feel like having shishkabob!" then ran up and stabbed it in the eye with the spear I had. It seemed to really not enjoy this and then I woke up.
And now I have claimed my rightful place with my new comrades in the world who have also used completely terrible one-liners :jedi:

Does anyone else not dream? I haven't had, or at least remebered, a dream for several years. I just enjoy the inky black of oblivion

Does anyone else not dream? I haven't had, or at least remebered, a dream for several years. I just enjoy the inky black of oblivion
I still have periods like this actually. I dream too, but maybe not as often as others. It's also possible you might not be getting enough REM stage sleep, but I think some people just dont usually dream.

I still have periods like this actually. I dream too, but maybe not as often as others. It's also possible you might not be getting enough REM stage sleep, but I think some people just dont usually dream.

To be clear i don't dream by choice, i use something to suppress my dreams (nightmares) because they were just being rather too much and affecting my waking life in an unwanted fashion.

Though i do wonder if i dream and just don't remember them? Surely REM is an important necessity for the brain? I don't begrudge my brain a dream or two, i just don't want to know about them

It's also possible you might not be getting enough REM stage sleep, but I think some people just dont usually dream.
I had a long period of not having any dreams... until a couple of weeks ago, when I started going to bed before midnight. Then I started getting some interesting ones. I'm currently trying to aim for at least 9 hours of sleep a day.

To be clear i don't dream by choice, i use something to suppress my dreams (nightmares)
How do you do that? I don't usually have nightmares - instead, scary stuff tends to flash in my mind and prevent me from falling asleep in the first place. I eventually realised that it happening was a sign that I needed to use the bathroom. The one exception was when I was laying awake in bed and trying to think of what I would consider an effective jump scare. I don't remember the details, but it involved a dark room with a ghostly-skinned woman's head (and screaming, of course).

You can probably guess what nightmare woke me up the following week.

Reactions: Nyx
To be clear i don't dream by choice, i use something to suppress my dreams (nightmares) because they were just being rather too much and affecting my waking life in an unwanted fashion.

Though i do wonder if i dream and just don't remember them? Surely REM is an important necessity for the brain? I don't begrudge my brain a dream or two, i just don't want to know about them
oh dude. seriously, you have my sympathy, that sucks. There's gotta be a way (I hope) for you to hopefully stop that trend without some form of suppression. Maybe try watching or doing something relaxing or more comedy based before bed? My sister had nightmares for a while, and this seemed to help her. She got addicted to Gintama as a result (which is socially questionable at times, lol) but her dreams were always wacky after that and funny. :D (cheers, to anyone who knows what Gintama is, by the way)

How do you do that? I don't usually have nightmares - instead, scary stuff tends to flash in my mind and prevent me from falling asleep in the first place. I eventually realised that it happening was a sign that I needed to use the bathroom. The one exception was when I was laying awake in bed and trying to think of what I would consider an effective jump scare. I don't remember the details, but it involved a dark room with a ghostly-skinned woman's head (and screaming, of course).

I use cannabis before bed. It effectively represses my dreams plus it feels nice. I was at a point where i was waking up in tears every day or i'd be deeply effected throughout the day by the memories of my dreams. It works really well for me, apart from the vague feeling that dreams are something i should experience and i'm missing out or some cognitive trickery that takes place at night.

I use cannabis before bed. It effectively represses my dreams plus it feels nice. I was at a point where i was waking up in tears every day or i'd be deeply effected throughout the day by the memories of my dreams. It works really well for me, apart from the vague feeling that dreams are something i should experience and i'm missing out or some cognitive trickery that takes place at night.
Thats rough, man.

Oh, I doubt you're alone there, most people smoke these days. Myself included. :) It can be extremely useful for a variety of disorders and maladies without a lot of the risks of common prescription medication. Its never repressed my dreams before though. What strain for you, usually? A good pure indica or indica dominant hybrid with a less mind active sativa might work wonders for you. Its what I usually use when I want some later at night and I still dream. Though I know it varies from person to person, I'd highly recommend this if you havent given it a try. CBD only strains have a habit of dream repression, so I'd avoid those when possible for the purposes you're partaking for.

Thats rough, man.

Oh, I doubt you're alone there, most people smoke these days. Myself included. :) It can be extremely useful for a variety of disorders and maladies without a lot of the risks of common prescription medication. Its never repressed my dreams before though. What strain for you, usually? A good pure indica or indica dominant hybrid with a less mind active sativa might work wonders for you. Its what I usually use when I want some later at night and I still dream. Though I know it varies from person to person, I'd highly recommend this if you havent given it a try. CBD only strains have a habit of dream repression, so I'd avoid those when possible for the purposes you're partaking for.
Well i tend to smoke whatever i'm given but recent strains have been Stardog and Girl Scout cookie. I tend to prefer introspection and relaxation so i'm more of a indica man i guess. I long for legalisation so i can actually go to a shop with my list of needs and get the correct smoke from a well informed seller. But even my hodge podge approach has been beneficial for my mental health. Until recently i was 12 years medication free thanks to using cannabis to manage my issues /uniqueness, but i've had to accept a little more help recently but that's worked out well as the meds have actually been really beneficial and only dulled my edges a little bit which was better than 12 years ago where i felt like my brain was in a cage.

Well i tend to smoke whatever i'm given but recent strains have been Stardog and Girl Scout cookie. I tend to prefer introspection and relaxation so i'm more of a indica man i guess. I long for legalisation so i can actually go to a shop with my list of needs and get the correct smoke from a well informed seller. But even my hodge podge approach has been beneficial for my mental health. Until recently i was 12 years medication free thanks to using cannabis to manage my issues /uniqueness, but i've had to accept a little more help recently but that's worked out well as the meds have actually been really beneficial and only dulled my edges a little bit which was better than 12 years ago where i felt like my brain was in a cage.
I was on anti-depressants for about a year when I was younger, and I know how you feel. Though it can helpful, and it was for me at the time, it just felt like it was keeping me from feeling like myself. Going off of them was incredible, actually. The waves of emotions can be tricky to navigate at first, but there was a lot of good being held back that was finally freed again. And now cannabis is my go to as well (I hope its alright and within forum rules to have this discussion)

Oh, girl scout cookies. Thats a good one, but I find the chances of headache for me too high so I switched it out for Animal Cookies which remains one of my favs to this day. I really love Purple Punch, Gorilla Glue, and Strawberry Cheese (Arjans Strawberry Haze x British Cheese) too.

I was on anti-depressants for about a year when I was younger, and I know how you feel. Though it can helpful, and it was for me at the time, it just felt like it was keeping me from feeling like myself. Going off of them was incredible, actually. The waves of emotions can be tricky to navigate at first, but there was a lot of good being held back that was finally freed again. And now cannabis is my go to as well (I hope its alright and within forum rules to have this discussion)

Oh, girl scout cookies. Thats a good one, but I find the chances of headache for me too high so I switched it out for Animal Cookies which remains one of my favs to this day. I really love Purple Punch, Gorilla Glue, and Strawberry Cheese (Arjans Strawberry Haze x British Cheese) too.
There's good and bad in anti-depressants and finding the ones that work for you can be a real bout of trial and error. I'm not strictly on anti-depressants, i have a low dose of something that is used for other issues because i'd found myself in a bit of a hole but the difference between me on the meds and off them was like night and day. Still i hope it's not a permanent situation and i can ease myself off them at a later date

Reactions: Nyx
There's good and bad in anti-depressants and finding the ones that work for you can be a real bout of trial and error. I'm not strictly on anti-depressants, i have a low dose of something that is used for other issues because i'd found myself in a bit of a hole but the difference between me on the meds and off them was like night and day. Still i hope it's not a permanent situation and i can ease myself off them at a later date
You definitely can. Lowering the dosage gradually is the typical method to my knowledge. In my case, I was impatient, and only went down to half a dose once a day, then every other day, then just quit completely.

Weed does that. The longer you go without smoking, the more vivid the dreams become. That said, some people just tend to dream more vividly than others.
It works really well for me, apart from the vague feeling that dreams are something i should experience and i'm missing out or some cognitive trickery that takes place at night.
Dreams can have a healing quality. A good dream makes you realise something you’ve been unable to see clearly in your waking life. It has happened to me many times. A good dream in this sense isn’t necessarily a pleasant one. I’ve had dreams that I wish I had never seen, but they still gave me useful information about myself.

Back