Buckethead

I do not believe you are doing this now. Only VERY extreme Buckethead fans, could have the idea to listen to his material (songs, not albums) in random order, and I bet that if they do that, they only do that after they have heard the albums in track order first. His discography is so huge that it is already a huge task to fathom his work IN order.

And you HAVE played albums in song order, damn it. The right thing to do of course. Why shuffle before you have ever heard a song? That would be plain nuts (now).

So: You review it in order. You hear the material for the first time and review immediately.
Foro, why is it that I infuriate you with everything I do? Let me listen to everything and rate everything the wrong way if it makes me happier in this fucking world.

sign0125.gif
No. Fighting. In. Bucky. Thread.

I have two Buckethead playlists. One contains all of his work while another is just my favorites. Going between these two playlists on shuffle is one of my preferred ways of listening to Buckethead, since his catalog is so big and sometimes I want an amount of variety that the albums by themselves don’t always offer.

Anyway, I guess I’m somewhere between Foro and Cried on this. Sometimes I will hear something that I didn’t consider a favorite at first and I’ve now changed my mind on thanks to hearing it outside the album context. That happens with a lot of bands.

There are definitely albums that get a bit samey but each track on its own is fine. That being said, on a rating scale I don’t think it makes more than one point worth of difference. If every song on the album is good then it’s still a good album. It just loses points due to a lack of variety/coherency/etc. So I also agree with Foro that calling an album shit because the songs don’t work together seems like an exaggeration if they’re all good songs.

Either way, these types of ratings are all pretty arbitrary and not worth getting worked up over, so let’s play nice.

Yes. Which is why I stopped trying to rate his work when I got to the Pikes.

What, for good?! o_O

Jesus, there's only like four of us posting here; we can't really afford for you not to be here, even if just to poke you head in now & again...

confused0060.gif

And moving on...

godzilla_cover_PP2.jpg

Godzilla Sleeps Alone. A new record of music from all the usual suspects–Viggo, Buckethead, Travis, and Henry–along with rookie, Buddy. In seven (mostly) instrumental tracks, the players explore the introspective side of giant monsters, spooky astronomical anomalies, and the far more frightening real world.

That sounds awesome. More interesting than anything else Buckethead has done lately. Might check the vinyl.

Sounds like Travis may put it up on his Bandcamp page. Which makes me think, if the DL sells well, that Viggo might allow his back-catalogue to go up there too; all the Buckethead collaborations! Now that would be cool. I'll wait for the digital version to go up in any case as I don't have a record player.

Last edited:
And moving on...

godzilla_cover_PP2.jpg
Sounds like Travis may put it up on his Bandcamp page. Which makes me think, if the DL sells well, that Viggo might allow his back-catalogue to go up there too; all the Buckethead collaborations! Now that would be cool. I'll wait for the digital version to go up in any case as I don't have a record player.
sign0124.gif
UPDATE
Perceval Press have launched their own Bandcamp page & the DL for Godzilla is available for $6:
https://percevalpress.bandcamp.com/album/godzilla-sleeps-alone
Buckethead plays on every track.

Travis Dickerson on FB:

"After almost 30 years here in the same location and hundreds of records produced, un-told numbers of friends, fellow musicians and memories, I’m afraid another old school studio bites the dust. The lease on the studio was up for renewal. This would be my 9th 3 year renewal. It had become routine and usually we come to terms easily. However last year the owner who I have dealt with for 30 years died. His family has elected to raise the rent beyond any hope of making a go of it. I had to throw in the towel. I need to be out by the end of the year. After 30 amazing years.

I’ve been trying to send individual notes to people close to me and to the studio to let them know and thank them but its has become overwhelming particularly with the task I need to accomplish by the end of the month. I want to reach out here and let those who care know. I’ll update as things progress. I hope to re-locate and continue making records but do it within the now extremely difficult “business” of music.

I want to thank everyone who worked here know, doing this was a life dream. Making a living making music and helping people make music I am so grateful to have done that for so long. And you all made it happen.

I want to mention some of the many people who have meant so much to me but the list is so long I will have to do it as an update after the task at hand. I do want to mention some though, the band “X”, D.J, John. Exene and Tony who along with the vast circle of friends they introduced me to, my life here would never have happened. Particularly to D.J. my great friend who was there before the beginning and has been through it all with me. You too Dinky.

Also Viggo, my good friend and unfailing supporter, so many records and so many good times. And to Buckethead who took me down a rabbit hole I never would have thought to enter and gave me free license to alienate a huge segment of his core fanbase, thank you, that was fun.

To Vince DiCola and Doane Perry for all the music we made together and individually. To work with such accomplished players is thrilling.

To Phil Alvin, Eliza Gilkyson, Peter Case, Peter and Cheese and all their circle, Tony Brock, Paul Ill, Cameron Stone, Camille, Leon, Matty, Dustin, Armando, Alix, Lysa, Bill, Tony, Tony and Tony, Henry and Buddy, Bob, Bob and the other Bill, Chris, and the other Chris, Donna, Tim, Gary, and their circle, Kevin and Skee, Nick, Heidi, Rami, Steve, Tom, Mark, Eric, and so many more I can go on and on who came here as clients or player and left as friends.

And to my brother Lindy with whom this is what is was and is all about, come to California and make music and thats just what we did. Google us.

Back to packing boxes but I’ll check back in soon.
"

47574595_10157923011819097_3254865610072391680_n.jpg

47580784_10157923012294097_6252688280861540352_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back