Bruce Dickinson

Bruce is a celebrity who probably leaves his house frequently. I'm sure he gets recognized regularly.

Do you guys think his doctor asked him for an autograph?

I don't think it's going to be exactly an autobiography, but I'm sure it's going to be funny...

Interview from April 28, 2016:

"It’ll be a book of tall tales,” he says. “I’m not doing a biography because I hope that’s a little bit early yet. I’ve done quite a few odd and peculiar things in my life, not just Iron Maiden, there’s a few good stories kicking around. The main idea of the book is to entertain other people, not entertain myself. They won’t be works of fiction but on occasion you think you couldn’t make it up."

http://www.brucefans.net/bruce-talks-about-his-future-plans-solo-album-autobiography-and-more/

Last edited:
He was not out and about. He was running all the time. Rush, rush, rush, while not being in the plane or on the stage. He was very unapproachable, as disappointing as it may sound. When he popped up he came, speeched and was gone again. I don't think he's the type (anymore) to take more time when he's in a hurry, traveling. Of course he had more time for everybody in the plane, but didn't really leave the cockpit entrance. People made photos of him, listened to him, but didn't actually have the luck of stopping him. We even got a letter in advance that were not allowed to take photos with him.

After the flight to Paris he didn't travel with us to the studio. Probably, he had some business to do after the landing and was just traveling all the time afterwards.

It looks rather disappointing and frustrating, doesn't it ?

It's kind of what I expected. There were about 100 people there, possibly more with press people who were on the plane and in the studio, they couldn't really allow 50 odd people to charge at him and assail him with questions or all ask for autographs. Fans were split into two groups for the listening sessions and talk by Bruce. It was all quite carefully managed. He basically chose when to put in an appearance, although the odd person did catch him betweentimes.

Is it pointless to compare with how Harry behave EACH night after (and sometimes before and after) BL gigs ? He signs stuff and take pitures with more than 100 fans each night, and he is quite shy, while Bruce seems a lot more confortable in public. Foro's is the first detailed feedback from the trip I get to read, and I didn't expect that really.

It looks rather disappointing and frustrating, doesn't it ?
Well, if you look at how much money I paid to get to the event, it's logical to be somewhat disappointed if you can't have a photo moment (which was included in many previous Bruce Air trips). After all, for me it was not just about the album. It was about Bruce to. The studio listening session and the flights made up for it though. Special and good fun.

Last edited:
I understand your feelings. Being kept at bay in such a unique occasion is frustrating. And money is always a problem, because the more you pay, the higher your expectations. I guess he didn't do that for money, so what's the point in doing something to meet the fans and not letting them get close ? A couple of years back, a friend of mine proposed me to pay to meet the whole Sabbath line-up. I hesitated, as I really wanted to see Iommi and Geezer, but I declined, not so much because of the price than because I didn't understand why I should pay for such a natural thing. As a fan, I'd like those guys to be sincerely interested in what their listeners think, who they are. And instead, this was just another occasion to make money.

I think that he doesn't want to waste time. According to interviews, that is the biggest change that happened to him since his illness. He wants to get more out of life than ever. Which means choosing more often for himself. I can understand that.

https://johnblakebooks.com/bruce-dickinson-pb-4232.html
Bruce Dickinson is the mighty voice behind legendary heavy metal behemoths Iron Maiden, and many more things besides. A world-class fencer, veteran pilot and one of the most acclaimed rock vocalists of all time, there is no one else like him. Prior to joining Maiden in 1981 for their seminal, multi-million selling Number of the Beast - one of the most influential records in the history of Heavy Metal - Dickinson enjoyed stardom with fellow New Wave Of British Heavy Metal artists Samson, while his post-Maiden solo career also brought much critical success. Not content to merely continue shaping the face of metal music, Dickinson is a true renaissance man: a world-class member of the British Fencing team; a best-selling fiction author; a keen military historian; a TV presenter; and also a first officer for commercial airline Astreus. Yet in 2015, the voice, and the life, of Iron Maiden's singer were placed in the cruellest jeopardy as he was diagnosed with a golf-ball sized cancerous tumour on his tongue.But after making a full recovery, Iron Maiden have released an acclaimed sixteenth album, The Book of Souls, announced a world tour and stand astride the pantheon of metal greats, and Bruce stands astride the pantheon of metal greats once more. This first biography of Bruce Dickinson and tells his story through exclusive interviews with those who know him best: from his formative days straddling the upsurge of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, through his solo years and right up to his present day legendary status as Iron Maiden's frontman.
9781786060310_5.jpg

Foreword by Ian Gillan! Does anyone know if this is an official one? A different one from the book Bruce was talking about a while back? I haven't followed it well.

Apart from the Tattooed Millionaire album, which I heard for the first time in (probably) early/spring 1992, when I was about to finish hearing all Maiden studio albums (I knew the title track and vid when it came out though!), I bought everything else on the date of release, including the singles.

Especially my Tears of the Dragon-single is very dear to me. I was so over the moon by this music, the long solo section, way longer than in the video clip and I loved the b-sides at least as much! Bruce signed it last year when I spoke briefly with him in Paris.

I guess I should be glad (or "lucky") that I heard everything in the right order. I had time to appreciate the different strengths of every release.

I was also one of those lucky fans who got to hear everything in the right order. I got a cassette with Tattooed Millionaire from a class mate in 1991, bought Balls to Picasso in CD when it was released in 1994 and then all his solo albums on the date of release or close to it.

Chemical Wedding is in my top 10 of favourite albums of all time and is one of the best things Bruce has ever recorded, Maiden classic albums included.

I hardly talked as well. Bruce was busy getting out of there. :)
I just managed to ask him to sign two things and mentioned that I like the b-sides from the Tears of the Dragon single very much and that they were so different from the album (hoping he'd say something more about them).

I have met him 3 times. In all of them he was nice and polite, albeit much quieter than one would expect from his onstage persona. Nevertheless, it was really nice to meet my personal idol and realise that he is a nice chap (when approached politely).

Back