Bruce Dickinson

Adrian was in Paris in March. :)

And Steve has said to Eddie Trunk on early March that he wanted to record a new album. Bruce said that too. Adrian is not against this idea. Janick and Dave will follow the other guys. The big question is Nicko : will he manage to be fit 100% fit for the next studio session ?

The most important thing is that the band wanted to book another studio in 2020 after the recording of 'Senjutsu'. Which means that they already had some ideas recorded in smartphones or voice recorders that they can put them on the upcoming 18th album.
I don't think Nicko even needs to be at 100% for a studio album. It's not like he has to play every song front to back perfectly with no breaks. 80% Nicko is still more than enough, with technology, to pull of a splendid drum performance on a studio album. The only question is how they'd translate it live, which is going to be the case any way.

The interviewer asked Bruce which song he thinks is next in line for the Maiden fans now that they finally played Alexander live - and he said he wants to play Rime the most live again! I really think we will hear it next year.
Didn't they say that they will play some songs in 2008 for the last time?
If they will play ROTAM - all of the songs from 2008 / 2009 setlist would be played again. :confused:

So, after a somewhat long hiatus (due to intense work reasons) here I am again to give my 2 cents about Bruce's new offer.

BRUCE DICKINSON - THE MANDRAKE PROJECT

Let me begin by saying that I wasn't expecting Bruce to leave my jaw on the floor with something of the same caliber as The Chemical Wedding. And perhaps that helped me to enjoy the record as an isolated entity and get rid of comparations. And indeed, this is no Chemical Wedding(at least for me). But what is it then?

Afterglow of Ragnarok is your typical Dickinson opener: heavy riffage, groovy and pompous. A cool track indeed but IMO the chorus utterly deflates the adrenaline present throughout the rest of the song. So yeah... good but could be better. Now the same can't be said when it comes to Many Doors To Hell, which is perhaps my favorite track here. Featuring several Deep Purple and Dio influences, this is catchy and extremely well composed. And by now one can notice Bruce's voice seems to sound even better than in Senjutsu. Yes, several songs are played in a lower key but fact is I think I haven't listened to this guy sounding this amazing since the Maiden England tour. Next track is Rain On The Graves and this track is so much fun! The almost picturesque and cheesy horror vibe of the whole thing is a must (those keys) and I have a ball listening to it, even though my favorite section is that punchy chorus. Resurrection Men is a weird one but nonetheless I really like the spaghetti western like first part of the song. The verses and chorus also sound great, although being much more in the vein of your usual Dickinson song. But it's when that Black Sabbath like downtempo riff hits the speakers that this thing fires at all cylinders for me. I'm a sucker for Bruce's Sabbathesque vein and it's absolutely impossible for me to listen to this part without banging my head. As far as I'm concerned, another great tune. Fingers In The Wounds shows Bruce playing the piano on a nice and mellow verse section and I really enjoy it but once again the somewhat obvious operatic chorus seems a bit off and doesn't make it for me. That being said the album's first half sounds really entertaining with some remarkable high points. And, on top of both main composers Bruce and Roy delivering stunning performances, it shows the duo venturing into new territory. And they are far from being done in this department.

Eternity Has Failed opens the second part of the album and any Iron Maiden fan recognizes it for being the original version of If Eternity Should Fail. It's the second time Maiden adopts a track destined to be printed as a Bruce solo release - the first one was Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter. And all I can say is in both cases I prefer the original cuts by a considerable margin... and it's all in the details. The use of a flute on the intro instead of strange synths alongside jambés and other South American traditional instruments grant a much more coherent feel to the whole intro - Bruce could add a bit more delay to the voice and the distant drum thuds could be featured yet, even so, I enjoy this take much more. And those second voices and flute over the last go on the chorus are delicious (Necropolis' voice could also use a bit of an effect but what the heck). And this is a problem I notice on some of Iron Maiden's later releases: despite the vast majority of songs being truly awesome and sounding huge, IMO there's poor attention to detail on post production, with some things missing and others being added by no reason. This is something Bruce rarely does when he goes solo: everything sounds tight and well thought... and The Mandrake Project follows this tradition. Nonetheless there's also room for some self-plagiarism during the verses of Mistress Of Mercy (Freak anyone?) although the pre-chorus, refrain and bridge throw the track to an entirely different route and once again a pretty cool one. Face In The Mirror is a soul crushing song, both music and lyric wise. Melody, melancholy and feeling in a subtle yet deeply touching way I don't recall Bruce ever achieving before (those "Oh-Oh's" at the last choruses are as beautiful as haunting). Easily one of my favorites from the pack with the bonus added of being Dickinson's first ever solo. The majority of keyboard driven Shadows Of The Gods dwells in this esoteric ambiance that explodes in another apotheotic symphonic chorus until by the 4th minute mark something that somewhat resembles the aggressive bridge of Halford's Silent Scream utterly crushes your skull, just to flow once again to another pompous finale. Speaking of which, what can I say about Sonata (Immortal Beloved)? Well... a masterpiece of a track, filled with drama and intensity, one that plays all chips on cinematic effect, backed up by Bruce's stunning performance and Roy's insanely well thought guitar licks, closing the album on a ridiculously high note.

So what do I really think about The Mandrake Project? Well... all I can say is, despite featuring some large and somewhat slow songs, it's really easy to listen to and insanely addictive (there's not a day I don't give a spin to at least one song since I bought it). And I listen to it even more than another release within the same genre that I also enjoyed a lot (yup, it's Invincible Shield). And I think I know the reason why. This is a record really well stitched up, focused, where the hard combination between deep attention to detail and a "don't force it" attitude is achieved, resulting in intelligent and tight as hell compositions. Once again, it's not The Chemical Wedding but IMO it howes little to nothing to other great releases like Accident Of Birth and Tyranny Of Souls, while it adds to those the surprise effect of a Balls To Picasso here and there. To sum it up perhaps I'll grow tired of The Mandrake Project during the next months or so. But as of now it sure sounds great!

8/10.

Last edited:
The big question is Nicko : will he manage to be fit 100% fit for the next studio session ?
I really don't think Nicko's a factor in the "will he, won't he" for the next album (if there is one), although he was supposedly grumpy about coming in to do Senjutsu. He performed a herculean task to get up to 80% post-stroke, and continued to up that percentage throughout the second leg of the tour. That shows a huge commitment, and what's the worst case scenario? He lightens up his fills, etc. for the new album? It would still probably end up more complex than what he did on Virtual XI.

If they will play ROTAM - all of the songs from 2008 / 2009 setlist would be played again. :confused:
They did say that in 2005 for the early days touring as well, but they have played almost half of that setlist later on.

Rime is very likely to show up again

I really don't think Nicko's a factor in the "will he, won't he" for the next album (if there is one), although he was supposedly grumpy about coming in to do Senjutsu. He performed a herculean task to get up to 80% post-stroke, and continued to up that percentage throughout the second leg of the tour. That shows a huge commitment, and what's the worst case scenario? He lightens up his fills, etc. for the new album? It would still probably end up more complex than what he did on Virtual XI.
I thought Steve played the drums on Virtual XI…

Adrian was in Paris in March.
And Steve has said to Eddie Trunk on early March that he wanted to record a new album. Bruce said that too. Adrian is not against this idea. Janick and Dave will follow the other guys. The big question is Nicko : will he manage to be fit 100% fit for the next studio session ?
The most important thing is that the band wanted to book another studio in 2020 after the recording of 'Senjutsu'. Which means that they already had some ideas recorded in smartphones or voice recorders that they can put them on the upcoming 18th album.
I don't think Nicko even needs to be at 100% for a studio album. It's not like he has to play every song front to back perfectly with no breaks. 80% Nicko is still more than enough, with technology, to pull of a splendid drum performance on a studio album. The only question is how they'd translate it live, which is going to be the case any way.
Steve said they aren't sure either and that they haven't really planned a new album yet. And wasn't Adrian's photo from 2021? I doubt Nicko will want to record new stuff if he's not 100% fit, Maiden play together live when they record and they don't polish things up since 2010. To use technology to cover something or someone? This is not Maiden. The drum fills are his thing. He will surely want them to be noticeable and upfront. It's amazing what he has done for the tour, but if Maiden want to concentrate more on touring now, it's probably because of him. Despite everything, Nicko is still going strong imo. They have ideas all the time, but seem to prefer to write in the studio now.
If they will play ROTAM - all of the songs from 2008 / 2009 setlist would be played again.
Bruce says such things, but he and we all know that's not true, especially for the (''deep'') classics. Well, that's true for some of the songs for the 2005 tour, I suppose.
BRUCE DICKINSON - THE MANDRAKE PROJECT

Let me begin by saying that I wasn't expecting Bruce to leave my jaw on the floor with something of the same caliber as The Chemical Wedding. And perhaps that helped me to enjoy the record as an isolated entity and get rid of comparations. And indeed, this is no Chemical Wedding(at least for me). But what is it then?

Afterglow of Ragnarok is your typical Dickinson opener: heavy riffage, groovy and pompous. A cool track indeed but IMO the chorus utterly deflates the adrenaline present throughout the rest of the song. So yeah... good but could be better. Now the same can't be said when it comes to Many Doors To Hell, which is perhaps my favorite track here. Featuring several Deep Purple and Dio influences, this is catchy and extremely well composed. And by now one can notice Bruce's voice seems to sound even better than in Senjutsu. Yes, several songs are played in a lower key but fact is I think I haven't listened to this guy sounding this amazing since the Maiden England tour. Next track is Rain On The Graves and this track is so much fun! The almost picturesque and cheesy horror vibe of the whole thing is a must (those keys) and I have a ball listening to it, even though my favorite section is that punchy chorus. Resurrection Men is a weird one but nonetheless I really like the spaghetti western like first part of the song. The verses and chorus also sound great, although being much more in the vein of your usual Dickinson song. But it's when that Black Sabbath like downtempo riff hits the speakers that this thing fires at all cylinders for me. I'm a sucker for Bruce's Sabbathesque vein and it's absolutely impossible for me to listen to this part without banging my head. As far as I'm concerned, another great tune. Fingers In The Wounds shows Bruce playing the piano on a nice and mellow verse section and I really enjoy it but once again the somewhat obvious operatic chorus seems a bit off and doesn't make it for me. That being said the album's first half sounds really entertaining with some remarkable high points. And, on top of both main composers Bruce and Roy delivering stunning performances, it shows the duo venturing into new territory. And they are far from being done in this department.

Eternity Has Failed opens the second part of the album and any Iron Maiden fan recognizes it for being the original version of If Eternity Should Fail. It's the second time Maiden adopts a track destined to be printed as a Bruce solo release - the first one was Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter. And all I can say is in both cases I prefer the original cuts by a considerable margin... and it's all in the details. The use of a flute on the intro instead of strange synths alongside jambés and other South American traditional instruments grant a much more coherent feel to the whole intro - Bruce could add a bit more delay to the voice and the distant drum thuds could be featured yet, even so, I enjoy this take much more. And those second voices and flute over the last go on the chorus are delicious (Necropolis' voice could also use a bit of an effect but what the heck). And this is a problem I notice on some of Iron Maiden's later releases: despite the vast majority of songs being truly awesome and sounding huge, IMO there's poor attention to detail on post production, with some things missing and others being added by no reason. This is something Bruce rarely does when he goes solo: everything sounds tight and well thought... and The Mandrake Project follows this tradition. Nonetheless there's also room for some self-plagiarism during the verses of Mistress Of Mercy (Freak anyone?) although the pre-chorus, refrain and bridge throw the track to an entirely different route and once again a pretty cool one. Face In The Mirror is a soul crushing song, both music and lyric wise. Melody, melancholy and feeling in a subtle yet deeply touching way I don't recall Bruce ever achieving before (those "Oh-Oh's" at the last choruses are as beautiful as haunting). Easily one of my favorites from the pack with the bonus added of being Dickinson's first ever solo. The majority of keyboard driven Shadows Of The Gods dwells in this esoteric ambiance that explodes in another apotheotic symphonic chorus until by the 4th minute mark something that somewhat resembles the aggressive bridge of Halford's Silent Scream utterly crushes your skull, just to flow once again to another pompous finale. Speaking of which, what can I say about Sonata (Immortal Beloved)? Well... a masterpiece of a track, filled with drama and intensity, one that plays all chips on cinematic effect, backed up by Bruce's stunning performance and Roy's insanely well thought guitar licks, closing the album on a ridiculously high note.

So what do I really think about The Mandrake Project? Well... all I can say is, despite featuring some large and somewhat slow songs, it's really easy to listen to and insanely addictive (there's not a day I don't give a spin to at least one song since I bought it). And I listen to it even more than another release within the same genre that I also enjoyed a lot (yup, it's Invincible Shield). And I think I know the reason why. This is a record really well stitched up, focused, where the hard combination between deep attention to detail and a "don't force it" attitude is achieved, resulting in intelligent and tight as hell compositions. Once again, it's not The Chemical Wedding but IMO it howes little to nothing to other great releases like Accident Of Birth and Tyranny Of Souls, while it adds to those the surprise effect of a Balls To Picasso here and there.

8/10.
I agree with pretty much everything you said here. Thumbs up about the summary.

I think Bruce's voice shines as always in the operatic choruses (that's his thing) and the album is also full of high/er vocals, despite the overall mid-tempo approach. In the lower register too, ofc.
His voice is sounding better than on SJ, probably because he has done a bit more takes or because he wrote all of the lyrics.
I like the album a lot, but I'd say it has ''poor attention to detail'' (missing parts, not many riffs!? for the first time in his solo career), not Maiden's recent releases, at all.

Last edited:
Adrian was in Paris in March. :)

Yep. I agree that you don’t need Nicko at 100% as they don’t need to record all songs in one sitting. It’s not a like a live show where you need that energy for 1.5 hours straight. I’m pretty sure they’ll manage. Can’t wait for the 18th album.

I'm quite sure the rehearsals are happening at Guillaume Tell studios in Paris, seeing the carpets and the curtain behind. :cool:

The curtain and carpet look indeed like Guillaume Tell.
But he would definitely have a rather unusual approach then, seeing the Uli Jon Roth show in Hollywood, then to Paris to rehearse, then back to the USA for the first show of his tour.

The curtain and carpet look indeed like Guillaume Tell.
But he would definitely have a rather unusual approach then, seeing the Uli Jon Roth show in Hollywood, then to Paris to rehearse, then back to the USA for the first show of his tour.
Don't forget that Bruce was a commercial pilot and that he surely knows people and companies with whom and which he can fly easily from one point to another. And Bruce already proved us with his spoken tours and his signing sessions recently that he can be anywhere he wants to be when he wants. He's a God after all. :p

Is Bruce's ass big enough to sit on two chairs?
The Memedrake Mandrake Project Review

Honestly, I didn't know how to start this review, or how to finish it or what to say. I had several ideas that weren't connected, started writing them several times in the last month, and always changed my approach. Then I realized: Bruce did the same it looked like he enjoyed the journey, so I'll try to do the same.

I still can't put my finger on it. I can't put my thumb up because I can't say I'm satisfied with it (more on it in „cons“ section). I can't put my thumb down because I don't think it's a bad album (more on it in „pro“ section). Like the album itself, my current views are on opposite sides of the spectrum. The more I learn about the album, the more my opinion goes back and forth.

With so many years in the making, and reading several times that Bruce wanted to make a concept album, I must admit that I was really looking forward to it. And when the album was announced, it also pointed in that direction. It's a „project“, it suggests a concept, right? Well, weeks before it came out, Bruce said in the interviews – it's not a concept album. But after several listens, I could hear it – it was a concept album. But it was abandoned, merging it with songs that had nothing to do with the concept, while keeping the songs that were conceptual as they were. So, it's not here not there.

And that whole approach is translated to themes, too. There's fantasy, there's horror, there's tales of folklore and legends and if there's an umbrella wide enough, you can put them all in the „otherworldy“ category. It could be a nice compilation of little fiction stories. But then, there are also songs with social commentary, psychological aspects, and plain-as-a-day song about addiction. Can't say anything's wrong with either of these approaches, but all of them in one place suggest either a complete lack of vision (which there isn't since some of those songs are connected) or complete spur-of-the-moment decisions (which it isn't since it's been 20 years in the making). Again, neither here nor there. Two chairs.

It's no wonder „The Mandrake Project“ is difficult to compare with Bruce's previous work. The style, the themes, and the feel are completely different. And yet, a lot of the songs from TMP could've been found on some of the previous albums and they wouldn't stuck out that much. Although people are claiming they love the album (and I believe them), with recency bias and (hopefully) more Bruce albums, in some distant future, this one could easily slip into the middle of the rankings lists. Trying to please everybody, and give something to everybody also means that nobody will be satisfied at full. There will always be „Wish there were more songs like this one on the album“ and this song (as far as I concluded from skimming this thread) is always a different one. Each of the ten songs from TMP found their way into somebody's top three. On the upside, it could be a great introduction album to somebody who isn't into Bruce or rock/metal in general. „Oh, you like this song from TMP? Try that album.“

The main star of the album is, of course, Bruce and the main spotlight is on him, and there's a little spotlight for Roy Z also. Actually, that statement wouldn't be fair for everybody else in the band since they were with Bruce on this album since the last one – Dave Moreno and Mystheria. (I guess he had a good relationship with Tanya on Concerto dates, she comes off as really professional and it's no wonder she was his first choice for the tour.) The storm in a teacup that came with the tour line-up announcement and the addendum of the tour line-up announcement is a story for itself, but I'll refrain from commenting until I see (hear) how it plays out. So, this was Bruce's recording band he's been working with for past decades. Except, Bruce met Mystheria for the first time last year. It's 2024 and it's not weird you work with somebody for 15 years without actually meeting the person, but to me, this kind of stuff can be felt on the album.

There is more than one occasion that made me ask out loud „WTF?!“ when I was listening to it for the first time. It may be mixing, producing or mastering, but I think most of the things that bug me happened right at the moment when the songs were recorded (I'm thinking about sound and effect on the vocal and instruments which, in my opinion, weren't always utilized to enhance something that wasn't necessary to enhance.) It would be stupid to say that the album could've sounded much differently if it was recorded in one take with the whole band. And a „proper“ producer. Except Roy Z, I doubt that any of the people who participated in making this album had the credibility to say to Bruce „Maybe you could try something different?“ After all, it's his vision and it will sound how he wants it to sound. And if he wants to make an album in chunks, during different periods, using different styles, equipment, and methods of writing, so be it.

Except it wasn't like that. Just when I thought this album was written „over the net“ with Bruce giving instructions, there goes Bruce saying he and Roy Z spent days just sitting in the room thinking what to write, and on several different occasions. More so, Bruce did instruct Roy on what he envisioned, but when Roy played it, it took Bruce in a completely different direction. Even more so, when the song was, much or less, finished, he'd get a track from Mystheria and he decides to turn the song around to fit the particular track he liked. Did I already mention this album feels like Bruce trying to grap opposite, unreachable sides of something and try to fit them into a single narrative?

Speaking of Bruce himself, I have to admit this: he was, is, and will be my favorite singer. Period. Although I had occasional scrub with metal music, it was his voice that made me go into this rabbit hole I've been circling for 20 years or more. In the past 20 years, his voice did change, same as I. But the Bruce, his voice, and the style I've heard on The Mandrake Project is still the Bruce I fell in love with. This being said I have to admit I found that love in places I didn't expect them, and the places I expect I'd love – weren't there. There are moments on the album where I think „To whom is he trying to prove himself ?!“ Also, there were moments where, 20 years ago I expect to just skim, I'd go „Holy fucking shit, he nailed it“. There are a lot of bridges and choruses way above his (or any other person who is hitting 65 years) comfort zone. Even worse, I know he's got the knack to make something sound good, even if he can't sing it the way it was meant to be sung. But, there are lines and passes where he sings them with such ease (and a bit of raspy undertone) that makes me go: this is the Bruce I fell in love with.

This whole album sounds like a person who has nothing to prove anymore but still decides to. He doesn't need to please the majority of his fan base, but still decides to. He doesn't need to rely on his legacy but still decides to. He can step in any direction which pleases him but decides not to. And in every aspect of this decision, he doesn't take it all the way and, to me, didn't make it work. But still, somehow, pulled it out with grace. I know what I wrote doesn't make sense much, but that's how I feel about it. Instead of more rambling nonsense, I'll just skip to the songs. I don't do numbers, but let's say I have 100$ and I have to spend them on these 10 songs. Here's how much I'd be willing to pay for them.

Afterglow of Ragnarok – 10$
Nice opener, and a great indicator of what to expect from this album. There was a teaser with Bruce „growling“ but then you get a melodic (a bit pop-y) chorus. Bruce sounds good, but the effects he used didn't; there is a break for a solo which isn't actually a „proper“ solo… IDK, I might get tired of it a bit because I kept listening to those two singles before it came out. It works great as an opener, it isn't a bad song, but it also isn't one of those songs I'd come back to if I wasn't listening to the whole album. One thing I'm sure of is, when the tour starts (and I have no doubt this one will be played live), I'll probably change my opinion. For better or worse.

Many Doors to Hell – 5$
Right from that whoosh tom drum sound and glam-ish guitar riff, this song didn't sit with me. Bruce sounds good on verses and sounds absolutely abysmal on the bridge. You have one of the greatest metal vocalist in the industry and instead of toning it down a bit, you lay a ton-of-bricks effect on his voice. That part after the second chorus saves it from asking for a 2$ discount.

Rain on the Graves – 5$
The title doesn't have a lot to do with the story, does it? I get it, Bruce got the inspiration from visiting a graveyard years ago, but that's all it is, isn't it? I mean, the rest of the song came as Bruce and Roy Z trying to do something in the vein of „Oh Well“ by Fleetwood Mac (how and why he chose that song is beyond me) and ended up with „Devil Went Down to Georgia“. Not something I expected from Bruce. Same as Afterglow, I'll probably change my opinion on it once I hear it live.

Resurrection Man – 13$
Now this is the part where it got complicated for me the first time. I wasn't impressed after the first three songs, but I immediately liked the intro in this one. The verses that came only built up tension, and the chorus isn't even that bad, but Bruce sounds like somebody trying to imitate Bruce. Then that break threw me completely off guard. I hadn't paid attention to the lyrics and it was before „My name is Lazarus“ but immediately I knew it was a concept song. Such a sudden break is ideal to either introduce a new charachter or push the story forward. In this past month, I made my peace that this concept would never come to fruition and I should accept it as it is, but still, I wonder: „What if?“
Of course, Bruce proved me wrong. The only reason that break is there is not to introduce a new character or propel the story forward – it was there because it was unexpected. Bruce thought the song was going too straightforward and he wanted something completely different so Roy Z came up with that riff. So, yeah…. It can't be that person can „accidentally “ write good songs for 40+ years, but I still find it amusing how 1) What Bruce wanted to write ; 2) What the final result was ; 3) What I think it meant ; 4) What it actually means – are four completely different things. I don't know how it happens but it is often so I can not count that one as coincidence.

Fingers in the Wounds – 17$
This is the song I need, not the one I deserve. When Bruce said „different“ this is different I expected. Pretty straightforward rock song, with just enough high vocals and an instrumental part that is out of this world. That instrumental part – a thousand times yes. Again, one can only wonder what would happen if this project was recorded in one take with Mystheria in the studio. Maybe the albums would be different but more in „whole album is different from the others“ instead of „every song is different from each other“.

Eternity Has Failed – 12$
Here's a blasphemy: I wish I hadn't heard Maiden's version and this was my first encounter with this song. I wasn't a Book of Souls fan when it came out and, except hearing it live, If Eternity Should Fail didn't sit well with me. I couldn't put my finger on why until I heard this version. After the great intro, the Maiden version kinda goes back and forth with the tempo ie. the feel of the song. Double lead guitar harmony disappears in the chorus leaving Bruce alone and I always felt it was kind of a sudden dynamic change between verses/choruses and the break. Here, the rhythm guitar is up front leading the song, with single guitar harmony in the background and when it comes to a chorus, instead of a feeling like it's going gear down, in this version it goes gear up. The same can be said with the last chorus after the break where the synths take the song to another level. But all in all, it's the same dish in different packaging so, out of spite, it's not the most expensive song on the album.

Mistress of Mercy – 18$
This one is the most expensive song on the album. Yes, the „Freak“ riff is there, but everything about this song screams „Skunkworks“ to me. The openness of the chords, the light-hearted lyrics, Bruce going up and down both with the melody and vocals – I love everything about it. Except overall production maybe, but since every song feels like it comes from a different album, I can't really „blame“ the song for the audio standard that isn't even there.

Face in the Mirror – 2$
Down-to-Earth song that pretty much most people can rely to. I think every one of us knows somebody who battled addiction, whether it is alcoholism or something else. The lyrics are to the point, no artsy-farsty stuff and the message goes straight to the head. The only problem for me with this one, and it's a pretty big one – it's stock. Both vocal melody and piano melody are too generic. If any one of those two had just a bit of variation, I think it may be miles better. Shame that a song with the most genuine lyrics on the album ended up as a filler.

Shadow of the Gods – 8$
I can not listen to this song without the image of Halford in my head. Maybe because the second part of the song reminds me too much of some other Halford solo song (something from Ressurection?) or maybe it is because it can really be heard that the vocal lines were written for somebody else than Bruce. I should've liked this one more, but I can't shake the feeling that the song sounds like Tyranny of Souls leftover and the reason why it didn't come until now is because its role was to be some sort of longer epic track

Sonata (Immortal Beloved) – 10$
The most divisive song on the record can mean only one thing: either you think it's crap or you think is amazing. Same as the whole album, I'll try to take the middle road. The mood is great, the story is simple yet effective, the repetition works. The way he sings „Save me now“ four times in a row with the same melody and the tail of the chorus „dances“ a bit – love it. BUT, I must admit I rather hear the first part of the song twice instead of listening to the whole thing once. While there are some extremely emotional parts in the first verses, „Love has brought you here“ part is also emotional but also feels forced. The repetition that was in first part builds a mood, while in the second part is too much on the nose and kinda kills the mood. The song starts with a certain feel and tries to end with a climax which somehow waters down the whole song.
I can't shake the feeling that we would probably never hear Sonata until Bruce read roar reviews about his „Empire of the Clouds“. That wasn't a Maiden song (to me it still has a lot of issues), until critics and fans raved it's one of the best things they've recorded. Now, Sonata was recorded 20 years ago, but if Bruce really felt it was the bees knees it would've been out by now. I'll be honest, the last couple of listens I didn't even listen to the second part, just played the first one twice.

CONS

It's out
Here's why this is a con for me: no matter how much I tried, I can't forget the fact that this was 19 years in the making. Usually, I try to approach any piece of art individualy, trying to remove any ties it has with its predecessors or makers. Not with this one. I can't help but wonder how much „safer“ this album would've been if it was released, let's say in 2008/2009. More so, if Tyranny of Souls was released 2020 or something like that, I wonder could this one be more out there. Like, Bruce recently proved with „Tyrany of Souls“ he's still a top act in heavy metal, let's now see him do something different. This huge gap made me think he, again, wanted to prove two things: he's still got it and he doesn't feel obligated to make „another metal album“.
As I've said before, it doesn't sound to me like he made it in either of those points. Yes, he still got it, but chose the wrong pathway or tools for it. It's not „another metal album“ but (excluding Sonata) it's not something you haven't heard from Bruce before.

Weird production choices
This point alone deserves a text which would probably be longer than the whole review. I'm not educated in pitches and scales and if you put me at the mixing booth, I'd just pull every knob to 10. I have no idea how to explain what's „wrong“. But, to me, it doesn't sound right. Whether it's decisions on how to sing certain parts, how to construct the song, which effects to use, or what to highlight – I have a feeling Bruce (or whoever was with him) can do it much, much better.

Isolation problem
I've already said that this album could've sounded much different (maybe better?) if it was done in one take with the whole band in the studio. But, as we know, Bruce is a person who likes to bounce several balls in the air. No matter that some of them manage to slip, fall, and break, he'll add some other and continue jugling. While Maiden are around (and even when they aren't) I doubt Bruce will ever again confine himself to studio with goal to make an awesome album. In his later three albums from the '90s, people were in one room bouncing ideas from one to another: songs changed, merged, grew. This doesn't feel like it. This feels like a one-man job outsourcing his ideas and not because he doesn't have money, time, or will to make it. No, it feels like a conglomerate trying to push out a new campaign with various new products, while the product they've been known for – is just one piece of the campaign.

It's a project
And unfortunately for me, the term „project“ isn't aimed at the album itself. It's aimed at the story. It's a well-known fact that selling „albums only“ doesn't make money. Making music videos less so. But comic books? Yeah, that's cheap but still creative enough to bring your ideas to the masses. What airplane business was to Bruce in the last decade, comic books will be in the next decade. It's a new area to Bruce which he stumbled completely accidentally, and he liked it. This can only make me conclude, that even after Mandrake Project is over, one of these balls will always be comic books, or he will try something different, where the new album or music will be just another ball.

PROS

It's out
I'd take The Mandrake Project every day of the week and twice on weekends over clips, interviews and/or songs that could've potentially leaked out in the last 19 years. The final product may not be to everybody's liking, but it is a new product. Listening to some of these tracks I wondered was there a possibility to take the easy road out with this whole thing. Like, a new series of remasters where he'd chuck demos on it, but he knew people would still buy it because nothing sells better than a memory. And here you'd get memory AND something new. Recorded a new song or two? Just chuck it on YT to hype the people about new tour. Looking at what the artists that have 40+ years of career are lately doing – Bruce did solid. Here's a proper new album (with one song that you've already heard, but hey, nine new ones).
Moreso, I hope this is like one of those snowballs turning into an avalanche type of thing. Once thing get traction, harder it will be to stop it. I try not to think this means Maiden's time is soon at the end, but rather as Bruce showing that, whatever happens, he's still determined to make music.

Replayability factor
This whole thing every-song-is-different-from-the-other may have a good side. I can imagine myself, sometimes in the future, putting The Mandrake Project on (after not listening to it for a longer period) and be completely blown away by a part of a song that I've forgotten. Surely, there will be bits and pieces I'd love and the ones I hate, but also, I believe the whole experience of listening to it in the future will be completely different from today.
I don't think I've mentioned it before, but the album doesn't overstay its welcome. Every song is to the point and (Sonata excluded) there isn't much dragging. I may not like certain parts, but it doesn't feel like I'd gain much by removing them.

New Tour
Maybe the biggest deal of the whole project – we get to see Bruce live. Surely, there were occasions you could hear Bruce sings the song from his solo career, but it doesn't really count, does it? For a lot of people (myself included) this is the first occasion to hear Bruce live. And, completely honest (and I know this is a big deal to some) – I don't care who is on stage with him. No Adrian, no Roy? Couldn't care less. I came primarily to the gig for Bruce and his songs, whether he plays them with one or seven guitarists on stage, or over a backing track with a huge Winamp backdrop on the stage – I don't care. Just give me Bruce singing his songs. (Should we open a new thread for Bruce tour?)

By the time I've finished writing this, rehearsals are already on. And to answer my question at the beginning – I don't know if Bruce's ass is big enough for two chairs. But I do know this: if he manages to pull the majority of what he envisioned on tour – he'll need two chairs for those big balls of his.

This post was brought to you by Internet Explorer.

Back