Bruce Dickinson

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
I genuinely like Trooper Ale, but it's impossible to find where I live anymore (I won't go to the trouble of trying to have it shipped).

Me too. It's not like... my favourite beer ever or anything like that, but I think it's genuinely very good and most of them have enough character and taste to... at least justify their existence. :) In addition to the basic Trooper ale, I'm quite fond of The Red'n'Black and I think Fear of the Dark and Hallowed were rather good too!

I'd give the edge to Rob in the studio and definitely Bruce live on stage performing live but also on stage, live.
lol, no way. Rob’s voice on the last 2 studio albums has had so much studio help to sound the way it is almost to the point it could be an AI robot doing the singing.

Don’t get me wrong, I think invincible shield sounds great but when I first heard it I was taken a back by the singing. Rob sounds too good on the album and sounds like he’s 30 years younger. I suspect there’s been a lot of studio tweaking here. I saw the recent Priest/Saxon/Uriah heep tour and Rob did sound much better live than I expected but no where near as good as the very polished and over produced studio singing.

At least when I hear Bruce on a studio album these days I feel like it’s genuine and no tricks in the studio have been used to enhance his voice or iron out any mistakes. Yeah, I can hear a few imperfections but I think he’s still got a great voice and sings better than a lot of guys half his age.

On the subject of trooper beer I really like it but for some reason all the variants of the main beer are just impossible to get hold of.

The regular trooper is always in stock in my local Asda and a while back when the new session IPA was launched they had a few bottles if that but once it was gone they’ve never restocked it.

Online it’s sold by drinksaile in the UK and apart from regular and IPA every other variant has been out of stock for ages. I thought the fear of the dark stout was a good seller and it was my favourite variant and has been available online to buy for ages but this year it’s just disappeared. I contacted Robinson who simply said it’s not being made at the moment, why!

I always felt Maiden missed a trick here with using such a small brewery to produce Trooper beer as it’s always been hard to come by in a lot of places around the world.

Personally, I think that there is nothing wrong with correcting shortcomings etc. in the studio. Nobody was bothered by M. Birch's approach in the studio and we all remember how many repetitions Bruce required when recording NOTB.

Live - difficult comparison, they have different singing and song styles. I'd say Bruce sounds better in his entire repertoire (but doesn't have the extreme songs like Painkiller) while Rob sounds good on a good portion of the songs with occasional problems on songs that require really high parts.

Personally, I think that there is nothing wrong with correcting shortcomings etc. in the studio. Nobody was bothered by M. Birch's approach in the studio and we all remember how many repetitions Bruce required when recording NOTB.
I agree. I choose polished sounding record. Even vocals may be slightly tweaked for album to sound great. I don't want rough and 'live in the studio' record. Studio record is exactly a studio record. Some magic is good and welcomed as long you don't hear auto-tuned vocals etc.

lol, no way. Rob’s voice on the last 2 studio albums has had so much studio help to sound the way it is almost to the point it could be an AI robot doing the singing.
That is a BS statement though. There is a fair amount of layered vocals, a common practice, and a little bit of melodyne (also common practice, and something that's audibly on Bruce's vocals every now and then).

On the subject of trooper beer I really like it but for some reason all the variants of the main beer are just impossible to get hold of.

The regular trooper is always in stock in my local Asda and a while back when the new session IPA was launched they had a few bottles if that but once it was gone they’ve never restocked it.

Online it’s sold by drinksaile in the UK and apart from regular and IPA every other variant has been out of stock for ages. I thought the fear of the dark stout was a good seller and it was my favourite variant and has been available online to buy for ages but this year it’s just disappeared. I contacted Robinson who simply said it’s not being made at the moment, why!

I always felt Maiden missed a trick here with using such a small brewery to produce Trooper beer as it’s always been hard to come by in a lot of places around the world.

If you have any Wine Rack near where you live, you might be able to find Trooper and Trooper IPA there. At least they are usually available in the one where I shop.

For what it’s worth, I really like Trooper ale. Out of the rest, Red ‘N’ Black is the only one that stands out.

At least when I hear Bruce on a studio album these days I feel like it’s genuine and no tricks in the studio have been used to enhance his voice or iron out any mistakes. Yeah, I can hear a few imperfections but I think he’s still got a great voice and sings better than a lot of guys half his age.
The mental gymnastics Maiden fans will go through to convince themselves that something below par is actually good...

Last edited:
That is a BS statement though. There is a fair amount of layered vocals, a common practice, and a little bit of melodyne (also common practice, and something that's audibly on Bruce's vocals every now and then).

Don’t forget a significant amount of “let’s give it all to make sure that my voice sounds amazing even if that means recording many different takes”.

I take my hat off to Rob Halford.

Bruce used to work hard in the studio, see the infamous TNOTB scream story. Yet somehow there's a chunk of fans who see any deserved criticism as unjustified and pretend as if Maiden never had high standards to begin with. Listen to Powerslave and SSOASS and tell me they didn't give their all to capture the single best performance for each instrument and every vocal line. Nowadays it's just "eh, good enough" and then you have bands like Priest that still give a damn, but are somehow attacked for caring about their craft. Feels like I'm going crazy reading some of those takes lol

Listen to Powerslave and SSOASS and tell me they didn't give their all to capture the single best performance for each instrument and every vocal line. Nowadays it's just "eh, good enough" and then you have bands like Priest that still give a damn, but are somehow attacked for caring about their craft. Feels like I'm going crazy reading some of those takes lol

They’ll never be able to capture the feeling of those opening lines from Resurrection Men.

They’ll never be able to capture the feeling of those opening lines from Resurrection Men.
Those are painful.

But to defend Bruce a little in this discussion, at least he is able to replicate his studio work in a live setting, while Rob Halford sounds like a different person live. If you polish your singing to the point that you can't do it justice live it just seems wrong to me.

Those are painful.

But to defend Bruce a little in this discussion, at least he is able to replicate his studio work in a live setting, while Rob Halford sounds like a different person live. If you polish your singing to the point that you can't do it justice live it just seems wrong to me.

Bruce has definitely been able to replicate most of his studio work in a live setting, that's true.

Back