Bruce Dickinson vs. Axl Rose: who's the best?

its_alive.jpg

Axl said he doesn't like maiden on a BBC documentary in the 80's, there should be a clip on youtube but I can't be arsed looking

I see your point. By the way, did you know that Marco Hietala of Nightwish was considered for Bruce's replacement? He wasn't famous back then.
Who told this? Marco himself? Or/and do you mean he was one of thousands sending in a tape, trying to get an audtition. Or/and do you mean he auditioned?

I really, really, really, really, really hate Axl's voice. GNR are a decent band, but as soon as this cunt opens his mouth, I switch the radio staition. He is also a monumental wanker.

Bruce on the other hand is the greatest living frontman/vocalist and top 3 of all time (behind Freddie, of course, who was the pioneer and master of audience control).

Who told this? Marco himself? Or/and do you mean he was one of thousands sending in a tape, trying to get an audtition. Or/and do you mean he auditioned?
It's in his autobiography. Later he heard that Harris commented about the demo he sent: "There was a scandinavic who sounded a bit like the mix of Dio and Bruce." He was rumored to be the fourth option among all. Eventually they wanted a Brit.

It's in his autobiography. Later he heard that Harris commented about the demo he sent: "There was a scandinavic who sounded a bit like the mix of Dio and Bruce." He was rumored to be the fourth option among all. Eventually they wanted a Brit.
That's cool that he was a "finalist"--I always thought he just sent in a demo along with 2,000 others.

Kinda funny that both current Nightwish singers have each separately recorded covers of "The Evil that Men Do." Floor with After Forever and Marco with Conquest.

Axl said he doesn't like maiden on a BBC documentary in the 80's, there should be a clip on youtube but I can't be arsed looking
In Mick Walls GnR bio it mentions that things weren't all rosy when they supported Maiden in NA in '88. Apparently the band refused to allow photographers in for their set as they didn't want to be seen anywhere near the big cardboard icebergs. There is no mention of specific incidents with specific Maiden members but its clear they were not getting on. Duff even left the tour for a week to get married and they used a replacement bass player. They clearly weren't arsed. Then, when the tour was rolling into LA, Axl threw a tantrum. He believed that GnR should be headlining by that stage as their album was far outselling Maidens. They left the tour and the official line was that Axl was having voice issues and couldn't sing.
Interesting side note; Rod was offered the GnR management gig in '87 and after meeting the band, he refused. He said there was just something 'wrong' with the band. Good judge of character, is Rod.
Walls book states that Rod asked GnR to support Maiden in order to boost slow ticket sales, which they did.
All quite interesting, to me, I never heard any of this before.

@million_suns has the inside track, I'm sure

Back