Black Metal

What a kickass fucking band. Sounds like a priest singing at a fucking funeral with metal blasting at the same time.

There is a very nice and long interview with Abbath at the Norwegian paper Dagbladet today. It’s only in Norwegian, but he is now totally clean from alcohol and amphetamine, he hit rock bottom on the American tour last year.

That night with the gig in Buenos Aires was a total disaster from he arrived to the city, where he treated to kill the taxi driver because he didn’t turn up the radio at a higher volume when AC/DC came on, the other guitar player tried to calm Abbath down but ended up being fired from the band. After the well-documented «show», fans outside the venue started rioting and throwing bottles after Abbath who was showing himself ouside of a window at the second floor. Police had to arrive in riot gear and break down the agressive mood, and Abbath totally trashed the whole backstage area.

he also tells about a few other incidents where he have been so out of mind that he have gotten arrested at Wacken 2019 after throwing an empty bottle at a local crew worker, while the other two guys was waiting for him onstage.

also a few good stories about Old funeral and early days of Immortal. Horgh have got in touch with him again, but have not spoken with Demonaz for about six years. He is open for an Immortal reunion if the other guys will do “something special“.

Damn I've really lost touch with the scene.
Indeed.
Had somehow managed to completely forget that Emperor's I Am from Thorns vs. Emperor includes the main riff from Thorns' Fall. Was playing Grymyrk earlier today and couldn't remember where I'd definitely heard another version. :facepalm:

[Responding here for the sake of convenience, since the original thread has moved on meanwhile]:
Thorns' album: I think I was a bit too harsh regarding the absolute amazing work done on the split with Emperor but looking back one must come to the conclusion that, although not being as mind blowing as the aforementioned record, Thorns is still a great piece of Metal.
There's two simple reasons why Thorns are so powerful on Thorns vs. Emperor:
One, it features their strongest material from the nineties, the two Trøndertun masterpieces plus a third composition on par (if not even better than Funeral Marches To The Grave a.k.a. Melas Khole), namely The Discipline Of Earth.
Two, Thorns material got some unique additional orchestration by an inmate. (Praised be Norwegian prisons, and Satyr's involvement and equipment, and don't forget Thorns has always basically been Snorre and whatever humans / machines were around at the time).
The album, on the other hand, has a real drummer (most of the time - and a great one for that matter), and Existence and Vortex, among other things, so I wouldn't say it's a step backward. It's just another chapter in Thorns' complicated history.

Released last week, apparently:

[In case video disappears at some point, as it tends to happen: AUÐN - Vökudraumsins fangi]

I love the fact that posts in this thread are currently interspersed with adverts for pine furniture (all those Scandinavian forests, maybe?) and bird feeders.

Nice find, NP. 'Meloblack' is something I can appreciate being a lightweight when it comes to extreme metal. Liking the sound of AUÐN too (copied and pasted because I'm not going looking for special characters just to make this post).

Back