Black Metal

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Mosh, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Night Prowler

Night Prowler CriedWhenBazzaSued Staff Member

2. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

I heard the first two songs from the album on YT. Pretty good!

3. Night Prowler

New song:

Weird one. Unusually slow from them.

4. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Dan Swanö, who mastered the latest Sear Bliss album (@Night Prowler)
    [​IMG]

Night Prowler likes this.
  5. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Dan Swanö rocks.

6. Night Prowler

Unusually loud bass for black metal here:

7. Night Prowler

Apparently this is a band based on a black metal comic book. I've never heard of this comic book but it has ~300k likes on Facebook, so it seems to be well-known. This whole thing seems to me like black/melodeath metal Gorillaz, since the actual band members are not known, but the vocalist seems to be the Insomnium vocalist, since it sounds just like him.

8. Magnus

Magnus Ancient Mariner

That ain't no black metal, NP.
    This, on the other hand, is.
    Or was.
    And it got some bass.

9. Brigantium

Brigantium Grim Reaper Staff Member

I was just going to say, the artwork looks like Gorillaz. Decent track.

10. Travis The Dragon

Travis The Dragon Rob Halford=Metal God/Bruce Dickinson=God Of Metal

I've recently been watching some stuff on the history of black metal. Damn! Some pretty fucked up shit went down! Murder. Suicide. Taking pictures of the suicide! I'm talking about vocalist "Dead" from Mayhem. Dead pig and sheep heads on stage! I wonder if anyone on here was at any of the Mayhem shows where "Dead" cut himself and sprayed his blood on the crowd and threw the pig head into the crowd as well. Or did anyone see the Gorgoroth shows where they had naked people on crosses and sheep heads? So fucked up!

11. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 As you scream into the web of silence...

Were you watching Lords Of Chaos, too? :lol:

12. Travis The Dragon

Actually, I haven't seen that one yet. I've watched about 3 others though as well as some of the concert footage from Mayhem and Gorgoroth.

13. Travis The Dragon

Oh, I didn't realize until now that LOC was an actual movie. I just saw the trailer for it and Varg Vikernes talking about it on his youtube channel and based on all of that, I think it will be best if i avoid it. :lol: What I've been watching are actual documentaries on black metal and how it all started.

14. Travis The Dragon

Also, I thought it was "Dead" on vocals at Mayhem's Wacken 2004 performance before I knew what year he died. You mean to tell me they had another vocalist who was just as insane? Or did they want to keep "Dead's" style going?

15. Magnus

Magnus Ancient Mariner

Maniac, who was in Mayhem before Dead in the 80s (Deathcrush).

16. Travis The Dragon

Was Maniac really into that crazy shit as well or did he just want to keep Dead's style alive?

17. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 As you scream into the web of silence...

You should definitely get a background knowledge of the scene before seeing LOC, but it's not a bad movie (except Death's suicide, which was so realistic I nearly died myself). Cool watch.

18. Travis The Dragon

Oh, like I said, I've watched a few documentaries on black metal so I know about a lot of that including the fact that instead of calling the police, Euronymous took pictures of Dead so he could use them to promote the band more. I still might check out LOC at some time, but I like the real deal and actual facts a lot better.

19. Magnus

Magnus Ancient Mariner

Thanks to your question, I realized I have no idea if Mayhem had any gigs to speak of - or at all - before Dead.

This, btw, is probably the sanest vocalist they've had, go figure:
    [​IMG]

Travis The Dragon likes this.
  20. SixesAlltheway

SixesAlltheway (slow heavy metal music playing)

I saw Mayhem on their Grand Declaration of War tour in 2001. I bought and liked the album at the time, but remember that it wasn't too well received (the purists thought it was too clean and too produced) I barely remember anything about the concert at all. Saw Gorgoroth at Wacken 2008, which you can find the full stream of on YouTube. They had people hanging on crosses during that show and a lot of other stuff. It was an OK show, but not much more than that, I remember thinking that the crowd was not that into it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Travis The Dragon likes this.