Black Metal

That album has some of the most impressive riffing and drumming ever. It was hard to get into for many (especially when it came out), but slowly this one has evolved into a mighty classic. Blasphemer was the one who wrote the music.

Thanks to your question, I realized I have no idea if Mayhem had any gigs to speak of - or at all - before Dead.
Before Dead arrived in 1988, Mayhem had three other vocalists. One of them being Maniac, who returned in 1995, after Attila Csihar's first stint (1992-1993).

Messiah (Eirik Norheim): 1985-1986
Maniac (Sven Erik Kristiansen): 1986-'88
Kittil Kittilsen: 1988

Mayhem did some gigs in between 1984-1988. E.g. this one with Messiah (according to a YouTube commenter, citing Necrobutcher, this is from 1985):

Last edited:
Before Dead arrived in 1988, Mayhem had three other vocalists. One of them being Maniac, who returned in 1995, after Attila Csihar's first stint (1992-1993).

Messiah (Eirik Norheim): 1985-1986
Maniac (Sven Erik Kristiansen): 1986-'88
Kittil Kittilsen: 1988

Mayhem did some gigs in between 1984-1988. E.g. this one with Messiah (according to a YouTube commenter, citing Necrobutcher, this is from 1985):
Hey, thanks a lot, Foro, hadn't seen this ever.

Been listening through some of the recordings we have with Dead on vocals (see 365 albums thread for specific thoughts) and the one thing I can't help but feel is that... we know how good Dead sounded as a vocalist (and how capable he was as a frontman), but I don't think we ever got to see what he was truly capable of. Given time he could've blown away the scene with Mayhem's actual debut album and subsequent releases, but alas, that never happened. Makes it all the more sadder that he died.

Ya that really is too bad. I'd love to hear what he would have done.

Also, I can truly give a fuck you to Lords Of Chaos after seeing this:

The film was bound to get stuff wrong, but then again, it was never intended to be a documentary or something you’d pull facts from. It’s a film first and foremost and should be judged on that basis.

The film was bound to get stuff wrong, but then again, it was never intended to be a documentary or something you’d pull facts from. It’s a film first and foremost and should be judged on that basis.
It's fine if they didn't pull out facts, but the problem is that they completely make stuff up by making Varg out to be a Satanist, rapist, and a Nazi of which he was none.

Not to mention that black metal musicians threw around the term “Satanist” all the time, with no actual regard to what it really stands for.

Well, that better explains why the movie does have those parts in it and if I had taken time to read some of the comments on the lies and deceptions video, I'd have realized that.

Apparently this is a band based on a black metal comic book. I've never heard of this comic book but it has ~300k likes on Facebook, so it seems to be well-known. This whole thing seems to me like black/melodeath metal Gorillaz, since the actual band members are not known, but the vocalist seems to be the Insomnium vocalist, since it sounds just like him.
Second song is out, it's even better:

Belzebubs - Pantheon Of The Nightside Gods - album of the year so far. While the imagery is cartoonish, the music is serious and kick-ass. Niilo from Insomnium is definitely on vocals, and ICS Vortex does clean vocals on the title track, but the rest of the actual band is unknown. Either way, the style is melodic death/black metal with some symphonic moments.

All songs are great but standouts are Cathedrals of Mourning, Nam Gloria Lucifer, The Faustian Alchemist and the title track.

Super catchy black metal from Iceland. Well, the music. Band name and album and song titles not so much :p

But the riffs are pretty awesome.

Back