Best Maiden Song

Hey, Why such a tough question.  Your torturing my fragile piece of mind, if I actually have one. Well, here goes, my favorites top 10.

1-Moonchild
2-PowerSlave
3-Back In The Kitchen
4-Number of the Beast
5-The Prisoner
6-RUN TO THE HILLS-(#1 if we are talking live)
7-Fear Of The Dark
8-FutureReal
9-Killers
10-Sign of the Cross

this sound OK?? :uhm:man this is hard!! :blink:

Eddie s Trooper said:
Hey, Why such a tough question.  Your torturing my fragile piece of mind, if I actually have one. Well, here goes, my favorites top 10.

1-Moonchild
2-PowerSlave
3-Back In The Kitchen
4-Number of the Beast
5-The Prisoner
6-RUN TO THE HILLS-(#1 if we are talking live)
7-Fear Of The Dark
8-FutureReal
9-Killers
10-Sign of the Cross

this sound OK?? :uhm:man this is hard!! :blink:

Hmmm ... interesting, a top ten without Hallowed Be Thy Name isn't seen too often. Back in the Kitchen, is that some obscure B-side on a special EP only released in Shetland?  :p

Well, for me I will list my favourite song from each album, and then try to pick one of them.

Phantom of the opera
Killers
Hallowed Be Thy Name (Children of the Damned is a damn close second)
Tie between The Trooper and Still Life (Yes, I can't make up even a piece of my mind here. Ouch, that one was bad. I am going to smack my own fingers for that.PANG!)
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Alexander the Great
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (Infinite Dreams comes second)
Mother Russia
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Sign of the Cross (Fortunes of War comes second)
The Clansman
Blood Brothers (close contenders: Ghost of the Navigator, Dream of Mirrors)
Paschendale
Brighter Than a Thousand Suns

To choose between all these great songs is very tough, there are different things about each song that make me like them. I mean, Blood Brothers beat the other songs on BNW mainly because of its lyrics, Alexander the Great is no. 1 on SIT _only_ because of the music. I'll choose a song which I consider outstanding in both ways. To me, this shortens the list of candidates to four:

- Hallowed be thy name
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner
- Paschendale
- Brighter than a thousand suns

All these songs have great lyrics and are at the same time great compositions. Paschendale paints a picture of those poor bastards who were fighting in the Belgian mud, it's more direct than the other songs. Brighter than a thousand suns uses a lot more symbolism (in a great way). For Rime of the Ancient Mariner, the story is already done by some British poet  ;) but Steve Harris does a great job in transforming the poem into lyrics that fit the music well. Hallowed Be Thy Name is more introspective -  lots of good lines here too.

For the music - all these songs have great moments. Plenty of them. These moments belong to the finest in Maiden's discography. Examples:

- The way the distorted guitars enter during the "running loooooooow" bridging the intro and the main riff

- The build-up after the mid section in Rime ..., culminating in kick-ass solos from Adrian and Dave

- The way the heavy guitars fade out towards the end of Paschendale - when the hi-hat and Adrians tapping melody returns, it is goosebumps for me. EVERY time.

- The mid section of Brighter than a thousand suns, very heavy and dramatic.

To choose between these songs is very hard. I could live with any choice of these four, and some more.  But if I have to pick one, today's choice is:

(drum rrrrrrrroll, please)

PASCHENDALE!

Eddies Wingman said:
Well, for me I will list my favourite song from each album, and then try to pick one of them.

Phantom of the opera
Killers
Hallowed Be Thy Name (Children of the Damned is a damn close second)
Tie between The Trooper and Still Life (Yes, I can't make up even a piece of my mind here. Ouch, that one was bad. I am going to smack my own fingers for that.PANG!)
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Alexander the Great
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (Infinite Dreams comes second)
Mother Russia
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Sign of the Cross (Fortunes of War comes second)
The Clansman
Blood Brothers (close contenders: Ghost of the Navigator, Dream of Mirrors)
Paschendale
Brighter Than a Thousand Suns

We have a topic especially for that, if you like :)
http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?topic=12631.0

My top 5 Maiden songs: (no real order)

-Number of the beast
-Hallowed be thy nmae
-Fear of the dark
-Dance of death
-The legacy

other favourites:
-clansman
-dream of mirrors
-iron maiden
-aces high
-the clairvoyant

For fear of banality, I would not mention Hallowed Be Thy Name.

Instead I will say:

1. The saga of Charlotte the Harlot
2. The Prisoner
3. Still Life
4. Wrathchild (Most people will protest, but actually, this is the one song of a few that helps me get to sleep at night.)
5. Run to the Hills (Another most people may protest about, but it's a good pre-exam prep-song).
6. To Tame A Land
7. Man on the Edge

At the moment.

...And perhaps Hallowe be thy name....

Eddies Wingman said:
Hmmm ... interesting, a top ten without Hallowed Be Thy Name isn't seen too often. Back in the Kitchen, is that some obscure B-side on a special EP only released in Shetland?  :p

It's Maiden's position on the feminist movement.  :bigsmile:

Hmm...really tough choice, to pick teh best Maiden song.

To tell you the truth, i always tend to say that Caught Somewhere In Time is my favourite song. But, from time to time, i find myself enjoying some other song more. So ill name a few;

1. Caught Somewhere In Time; 7 minute long song, with same tempo all the way (except less than a half minute intro), played in two keys, with the E key dominating for 75% of the song. Repeating chorus. Very cliche chord transitions, E-C-D variations dominating throughout the song. Yet, all this being said, it's 0% boring and exciting all the way. The intro, the gallops, the harmonies, the bass pumping together with drums. Excellent long guitar solo section, with H's virtuoso part (IMHO his best solo ever). Very, very good lyrics, altrough not the best Maiden ones. To me, this song is really special, because it really shows what Maiden are all about - it doesn't have very special catchy lyrics, it's a long song with a lot of musical repeating, and a repeating chorus - yet it's composed in such a way, that it's a killer all the way! Shows how Maiden can do a lot music with a few ingridients. Solos are completely differnent story - both of them are, in essence, a technique show-off, but at the same time, they are fully functional parts of the song, and they only make the song better. Murray's solo starts from the B-B# variation, really suits well his legato runs and whammy bar abuse on the solo, while H's solo relies on more melodic E variations, still ending in B-B# when he ends with a big double tapping. Excellence.

2. Sea Of Madness - great lyrics for a start. Really depicts that futuristic violence of big cities. Music is an essential part of the story presentation here, dynamic riff with unusual drumming in the background while explaining the situation, almost melancholic riff with a great synth in the background goes great with the character's vision of the story, and the great energetic chorus which binds the whole song well. Again, H excells both on the fast and the slow part of the solo. A bit of the transition on the happy side then, but again, "on towards the sea we go", and the madness part kicks in again fast.

3. Stranger In A Strange Land - again great lyrics, synth is essential for this song, it provides the background on the verse parts. A bit blues-rock style main riff. Song would be mediocre Maiden stuff without the build-up part before the second chorus. H's solo, backed by great synth and a great Harris bass line, stuff you never forget.

4. Only The Good Die Young - song which recapitulates the whole concept of the Seventh Son album. It's pity that it hasn't been played live. Superior lyrics. Only con here; a bit short, half minute more would go better. Great opening harmony, and IMHO, the chorus is a best Maiden ever. Killer H solo, great Dave guitar killing on the end, and a fast, energetic Harris's mini-solo bassline in the middle.

5. Infinite Dreams - "there's got to be just more to it than this, or tell me why do we really exist? i'd like to think that when i die, i'll get a chance another time, and to return, and live again, reincarnate, play the game, again and again and again". The best Maiden lyrics ever. Such a simple thing - we've all been there. Thinking is there an afterlife, or we just end dead, and that's it. But the way that Harris wrote it down, almost poetic. Apart from that, it's full of great harmonies, progressive song with a lot of shifts...showcasing the great Murray-Smith guitar cooperation, and great performance by all other three members. Synth takes lead part at a certain point (just before the build-up followed by the scream), which fits great. Still - this song could use a bit more compelling guitar solos from both axemen. They're great and melodic, but a bit short.

Nearly impossible to choose just one but I will try.

It does depend on my mood, but I'll choose Hallowed Be Thy Name... simply 'cos I listened to it just yesterday for the first time in ages and it's awesome.

But a lot of Maiden songs are...

A top ten:

1. Blood Brothers
2. The Trooper
3. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
4. The Evil That Men Do
5. Murders in the Rue Morgue
6. Aces High
7. Phantom of the Opera
8. Wasted Years
9. Hallowed Be Thy Name
10. Fear of the Dark

I have to confess to losing touch with I.M. over the last few years - although I was lucky enough (and old enough) to have seen them several times during my youth . It is my son who has rekindled my interest . Him and his mates are right into it ! He lent me a copy of the latest album - A matter of life and death - and it really blew me away . I`d rate it as second only to the classic ` Number of the beast ` - a fantastic acheivement for a band who`ve been going for 30 years . There are many good tunes on A matter..... , but my favourite is the awesome ` Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg ` . Hopefully there`ll be more to follow , and maybe a tour date or two up in the north , somewhere in time !!!!

The Sign of The Cross

The Clansman

The Clairvoyant

Blood Brothers

The Trooper

There is no such thing as the best Maiden Song, all of them are good. If I had to pick though it would be Number of the Beast.

My top ten:

1. Hallowed Be Thy Name
2. Dance of Death
3. Fear of the Dark
4. Lord of Light
5. The Clansman
6. Alexander the Great
7. The Evil That Men Do
8. The Edge of Darkness (works well while you're alone in the dark)
9. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
10. Moonchild

Firs of all ...this was harder than get a 100 in math, phisics, and chemestry exams
but I cant understand how someone doesnt choose  "Hallowed Be Thy Name" as the best Iron Maiden song

1 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

then there are like 25 song that I like almost the same, but If I have to choose my top 10........

2 - Dance Of Death
3 - Fear Of The Dark
4 - Wasted Years
5 - Powerslave
6 - The Trooper
7 - Moonchild
8 - The Number Of The Beast
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
10- Aces High

1 question for everyone ...
Is anything we can do to make Iron Maiden  play "Alexander The Great" next tour?

Back