Best Maiden Song

With no hesitation I say Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

My favourite album is always changing, and I would struggle to pick a top ten of Iron Maiden tracks, but ROTAM has always been and always will be my fave song.

It is an impossible question to answer. I have a hundred favorites.

[!--QuoteBegin-Killua404+Aug 4 2005, 03:11 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Killua404 @ Aug 4 2005, 03:11 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]And I'm shocked no one has picked prowler  [!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]114020[/snapback]​
[/quote]

If you would just bother to read through the first page of this thread I think you will get quite a shock my friend.....

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Jun 8 2005, 12:57 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Jun 8 2005, 12:57 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Latest results of the votes in the IMC forum  [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--] :
  • 150 'Hooks In You' 2.21
    151 'From Here To Eternity' 2.00
    152 'Be Quick Or Be Dead' 1.94
    153 'Pass The Jam' 1.80
    154 'More Tea Vicar' 1.40
    [/li]
[snapback]107844[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I am surprised at numbers 150, 151 and 152 as I think they are three great songs. My favourite however, would be Afraid to Shoot Strangers. Second, Phantom of the Opera and third Rime of Ancient Mariner.

GASP! How did More Tea Vicar get so low?! I think MTV is HILARIOUS...

This is so shockingly difficult to answer...Hallowed Be Thy Name is my favorite I think. But Revelations, Still Life, The Clansman, The Wicker Man, and Remember Tomorrow deserve honorable mention.

Blimey! There are mawer things in 'eaven an' earth, 'Oratio, van are dreamt ov in yaaahr philosophy. Nuff said, yeah?

Wrathchild, it's so simple, there are so many versions, listen to the difference between the metal for muthas version and the killers version. Only a year apart, this is one of the earliest maiden songs and still played today. Killers version is the best.

I've searched this whole topic and I didn't even saw one time the words 'Caught Somewhere in Time'.

I think it's a perfect song, a perfect album opener and it isn't one of those songs that you get tired of after you listen to it for 30 times. This one just needs te be played for days if you want to throw it through a window, else you just can't. It's much too underrated in my opinion.

[!--QuoteBegin-Bunkle+Dec 17 2005, 08:10 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Bunkle @ Dec 17 2005, 08:10 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I've searched this whole topic and I didn't even saw one time the words 'Caught Somewhere in Time'.

I think it's a perfect song, a perfect album opener and it isn't one of those songs that you get tired of after you listen to it for 30 times. This one just needs te be played for days if you want to throw it through a window, else you just can't. It's much too underrated in my opinion.
[snapback]125360[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I agree that's a great song, but I don't think it's their best, and it certainly isn't perfect. The "...time is always on my side..." bit strikes me as rather awkward; it just doesn't seem to flow very well.

I don't know if I can name a single favorite song; it depends so much on my mood, but I would have to mention Book of Thel as among the best. (No, you idiot! That's just Bruce - and Adrian). Uh.. I mean Jerusalem. (That's not IM either!). Uh, ok, how about Powerslave? That's a pretty fucking good song! Is that just Bruce? ::

Seriously though, I think the best IM song (which is not necessarily the one I'm always most in the mood to listen to) is Rime of the Ancient Mariner followed very closely by Sign of the Cross and Paschendale.

Stranger In a Strange Land. Its just so different to most of Maidens songs, and still feels fresh even to this day.

closely followed by Phantom of the Opera (Di'Anno Version)
and in third place Flight of Icarus dont know why- I just like it [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'For the Greater Good of God' has just dethroned my former fav which used to be 'The Nomad'.

To be honest, I never thought that this would ever happen...but 'For the Greater Good of God' is out of this f**king universe, simply belongs to the best music I've ever come across so far.
bowdown-1.gif

This is a really hard question. The word 'best' is so ambiguous it almost loses meaning. First of all, how does one define best? The most stunning guitar solo in terms of technique, the most complex guitar solo, the most melodious guitar solo, the catchiest riff, the hardest riff, the longest chorus, the shortest chorus, the most complex chorus, the catchiest chorus, the most intricate structure, the simplest structure, the funniest lyrics, the deepest lyrics, the lyrics that are well-written, the loudest vocals, the softest vocals, the cruelest voice, the gloomiest mood, the happiest mood, the most serious mood, the sincere mood...? Any combination of the afore-mentioned can constitute the 'best' Iron Maiden song. Not to mention personal opinion. Every single person is unique and so are their musical tastes and backgrounds so that one individual might favour the older material while another (like me) prefers those tracks that are most similar to classical music in terms of structure, melody, and instrumental ability. Add to that the factor that tastes and moods change, and the task of choosing a 'best' song becomes nigh on impossible. However, for the sake of quenching curiosity and for educating those who have not looked at multiple Maiden albums and songs, stating which songs are 'best' is invaluable. I found, upon looking at several of the lists, that there might be one or two songs which I should look at again, simply because another has included it in their list of best songs. How is it that we take another person's opinion as law when it is put into a format of 'best of's'? It is an interesting idea to my mind and I think the media have exploited this phenomena quite well. However, enough of that, here is my list of favorites from oldest album to newest:

Phantom of the Opera
Iron Maiden
Charlotte the Harlot
Killers
Murders in the Rue Morgue
Wrathchild
The Prisoner
The Number of the Beast
Run to the Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name
The Trooper
Aces High (live version)
2 Minutes to Midnight
Powerslave
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Caught Somewhere in Time
Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Alexander the Great
Wasted Years
Moonchild
Infinite Dreams
Can I Play With Madness
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
The Evil That Men Do
Mother Russia
Bring Your Daughter...To the Slaughter
No Prayer For The Dying
Childhood's End
Wasting Love
Chains of Misery
Fear of the Dark (live version)
Sign Of The Cross
Lord of the Flies
Futureal
Lightning Strikes Twice
The Clansman
When Two Worlds Collide
Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger
Blood Brothers
Brave New World
The Nomad
Out of the Silent Planet
Dream of Mirrors
Dance of Death (live)
Face in the Sand
Montsegur
New Frontier
No More Lies (live)
Paschendale (live)
Rainmaker
Journeyman (live)
Different World
These Colours Don't Run
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
The Pilgrim
The Longest Day
Out of the Shadows
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
For the Greater Good of God

Doesn't the title of the thread say it all? "Best Maiden Song". Ever heard of singular:rolleyes:

Oh, true. Yet it is sooo hard to choose just one. I'll settle for...Dance of Death.

It used to be Rime of the ancient mariner, but the unthinkable has happened and it's been dethrowned. Brighter than a thousand suns is simply perfect in it's every detail. I love it! On the other hand, ROTAM has lasted as a favourite for more than 20 years  :help:

Back