Best Maiden Song

Paschendale for me.  It's great.  So much passion,  pain,  feeling,  no other song has...  Second would be The Legacy.  Musically it's great,  and surprisingly it's the only song I want to dance.  Just move around and do what I feel.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

A song with different sides. Threatening, thundering, powerful, overwhelming, marching.

The solos fit very well together --> Last note of H is Dave's first note. Nice harmonies, haunting lyrics, boneslicing rhythm guitars, how long shall I continue ?

Oh well, if they won't play it before they call it quits, I will throw away my complete Iron Maiden collection.  :mad:  ;)

Forostar said:
Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

A song with different sides. Threatening, thundering, powerful, overwhelming, marching.

The solos fit very well together --> Last note of H is Dave's first note. Nice harmonies, haunting lyrics, boneslicing rhythm guitars, how long shall I continue ?

Oh well, if they won't play it before they call it quits, I will throw away my complete Iron Maiden collection.  :mad:  ;)
I agree 100%, and I have seen and heard them play it live once, many moons ago...I want it again. That was in -84 or -85 but i still remember it.

I'ts almost impossible to only chose one but after a lot of thinking i have to pick Phantom of the Opera as the best one!

Let's tally the votes so far, eh?

5 - Paschendale, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
3 - Hallowed Be Thy Name
2 - The Trooper

Plus a variety of songs with one vote each.

To compare, here are the #1 votes from Top10Songs.net:

9 - Hallowed Be Thy Name
5 - Paschendale, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
3 - Phantom Of The Opera, The Trooper
2 - Aces High, Sign Of The Cross, Dream Of Mirrors, Still Life

Plus a variety of songs with one vote each.

Conclusion so far:
The top 3, in no particular order, are Hallowed, ROTAM and Pasch.
#4 is The Trooper.
A strong candidate for #5 is Phantom, since it got a vote in this thread as well as several on Top10Songs.
The other songs which got votes in both this thread and on Top10Songs are Afraid To Shoot Strangers, For The Greater Good Of God and Dance Of Death.

The Clairvoyant has had it for quite a while for me.
Phantom of the Opera, The Thin Line and Still Life on are my other favourites right now though.

I don't see any votes for Run To The Hills, so I'll cast one.  I may be mocked for picking such a trite "hit single" choice, and believe me, I appreciate epics like Hallowed, Rime, Paschendale and Greater Good as much as the next person, but Run To The Hills is the song that first popped into my head when I saw this poll topic.  It's the first Iron Maiden song I ever heard, it probably is the song for which Maiden is most remembered, both to the casual fan as well as the devout, and probably will remain as such after we're all dead and gone. 

To me, the best Iron Maiden songs are from these albums:
Somewhere in Time - Wasted Years, Heaven Can Wait, Stranger in a Strange Land
Brave New World - The Wicker Man, The Fallen Angel, The Mercenary, Out of the Silent Planet
A Matter of Life and Death - The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, Different World, The Pilgrim, Lord of Light, Out of the Shadows

Wasted Years is my firm favourite, hoping to see it live at some point!

Hard to name one.........but I know that's the topic.

So, I had to look at it in a different way.  If they we're to play live for me and only one song what would I like to hear the most???

Fear of the Dark?
The Wickerman?
Afraid to Shoot Strangers?
Sanctuary?
Run to the Hills?
Different World?
Dance of Death?

Drum roll..............................................

Fear of the Dark!!!!!  Obviously not the best lyrics, but the song is just fun and that's what music is about!!!

Since I don't know which is their best (what are the perameters? lyrics, musicianship? lenght of solo? etc.) I'll just go for my favorite: Out of the Silent Planet.

How bizaare...it appears I haven't answered this one yet.

Anyway, there are three songs I'd like to list here, for different reasons;

1. Hallowed Be Thy Name
2. Fear of the Dark
3. Paschendale

Firstly, Paschendale has been my favourite Maiden song to listen to for a long time.  I don't know if I love it as much as I used to, but it is an incredible, absorbing track.  Anytime it comes on in my playlist (on WMP or my mp3 player), I simply stop and marvel at the wonderfully haunting intro.  The lyrics are war poetry of the highest order, as well, nearly topping 'The Aftermath' for poignant imagery.

Next, Fear of the Dark is my favourite Iron Maiden song to see live, simply for the whole involvement of every member of the audience in singing, headbanging, jumping etc.  There's a good reason that it's been played at nearly every Maiden gig since it was written!

Finally, Hallowed Be Thy Name would easily be my favourite Iron Maiden song to play.  Similarly to the two before, it has an incredible 'stop-what-you're-doing-and-listen' intro, and riffs galore.  It's an unbelievable joy to be able to play it along with a CD version (frankly, all are great, live or studio!), and the harmonised riff just before the final line sends a shiver down my spine.

So, I present to you the 3 best Iron Maiden songs, in my opinion.  There are many others that deserve a mention (Judas Be My Guide, Still Life, Afraid to Shoot Strangers), but, for once, I feel these three that I chose aren't overrated...they just kick ass! :D

If I were forced to pick one, I'd go for....ummm....ARGH! Paschendale. :lol:

My favourite Maiden song would have to be "Hallowed be thy name"

Just an awesong song overall, with a cool intro, building into amazing vocals from Bruce and some fantastic dual guitar harmonies, add to that the great bridge section (with Dave's simple riff and the superb drum rolls (?) ) , great lyrics and great solos..

Over-use of the word great ? Well yeah but we are talking about Iron Maiden and the song I love the most :D
Like Raven said above its also really fun song to play on guitar (which I do but am not terribly good at!)

Next in line of my most loved Maiden tracks would be -
Trooper, Number of the beast, Fear of the Dark, Paschendale, Dance of Death, Blood Brothers, Brave New World

:innocent: the song that i tihnk is the best maiden song is the lonilness of the long distance runner its just a great catchy tune. bruce rocks

Dude, you're seriously asking this question?? ALL OF THEM!!

I will say "The Trooper" and "Fear of the Dark" are awesome and get stuck in my head very easily.
"The Legacy" is great.
:yey:
I <3 Maiden.  :wub:

I'm all in for climactic stuff, and the mega climax of Sign Of The Cross, with its intriguing vocals and atmosphere plus awesome performances with Dave and Janick make it my favorite Maiden song. Every brilliance of Steve Harris has evolved here with one of the best instrumental midsections ever.

Aces High must be my favorite song of Iron Maiden.

I also like: Wasted Years, Fear of the Dark and Mother Russia, but Aces High is faster, and I like fast songs.  B)

Mine is Hallowed Be Thy Name. :wub:
The Trooper and No More Lies are the next in the line.

Hallowed be thy name never gets boring, even after 23-24 years. But the best Maiden song ever must be Rime of the Ancient Mariner. The tempo changes, the lyrics, the mood, the musicianship, the solos - As good as it ever gonna get!

Anomica said:
It used to be Rime of the ancient mariner, but the unthinkable has happened and it's been dethrowned. Brighter than a thousand suns is simply perfect in it's every detail. I love it! On the other hand, ROTAM has lasted as a favourite for more than 20 years  :help:

Anomica said:
Hallowed be thy name never gets boring, even after 23-24 years. But the best Maiden song ever must be Rime of the Ancient Mariner. The tempo changes, the lyrics, the mood, the musicianship, the solos - As good as it ever gonna get!

I thought it had been dethroned, Anomica...:p

Back