BEST BAND EVER: Results!

I was actually thinking about this earlier. I assume Clutch are much bigger in the US than they are over here.

I suspect Joutsen and Amorphis also regulary fall foul of two opposing preferences in metal, though: those who find the prominent keyboards, clean vocals and generally accessible melodies a bit too soft and poppy for their liking, and those who really aren't fond of growls. I always find it slightly tragic that Amorphis aren't much, much bigger than they are, they're such a talented and creative band.

Clutch is more well known in the US. Nobody knows who Amorphis is here and they play in tiny clubs. Clutch isn't huge by any means, but they've definitely had more high profile gigs here and have coheadline with groups like Mastodon and Killswitch Engage.

Blitz is a solid thrash metal vocalist, but there's not much use for his vocals otherwise IMO. That being said, I always thought he'd fit into Megadeth if Megadave ever stopped singing.

Neil Fallon is a solid rock vocalist. Clutch is a cool band too. However, I don't think he's a particularly great vocalist. Musician? Sure. Vocalist? Nah. 3rd best in this group.

No one commented on Thebon at all... One of my favorite BM vocalists, as he can do pretty much any vocal style, as showcased on the song I posted. High screams, low grunts, chanting cleans... He had it all. Shame he got kicked out of KoK and then never did anything of note again.

Tomi Joutsen is the clear winner here. Sings in the best band out of all these singers, has great variety in how he sings cleans and growls. Pretty much the perfect modern vocalist IMO.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 80:
Bobby "Blitz" Ellsworth
Thebon
Tomi Joutsen

Promoted after Round 80:
Neil Fallon

"Weird Al" Yankovic (solo)

Damian Wilson (AYREON, HEADSPACE, THRESHOLD)

Paul Simon (solo, SIMON & GARFUNKEL)

Till Lindemann (LINDEMANN, RAMMSTEIN)

Rough round. Gotta go with Till though, he has a monster voice, dark, brooding, and yet booming when he wants to let loose.

Wow, this is an incompatible group of singers. I suspect I know which way I'll vote, but after listening properly it could change.

Damien Wilson is the best choice for this hypothetical metal band. But Paul Simon is a great vocalist and songwriter.

Also, "Like A Surgeon" is severely underselling Weird Al's capabilities.

"I'll Sue Ya" has Al successfully parody Rage Against The Machine,
"Albuquerque" showcases a wide variety of vocal styles,
and "Hardware Store" would be a better example of his lung capacity and lyrical composition (30-seconds of nonstop singing at 2:20).

Wow, I thought for sure Weird Al would be out hard, but seeing him be competitive really makes me happy!

Back