BEST BAND EVER: Results!

Would you call growling “singing”
Yes

You seem to be attempting a technical ability vs expression argument. It's valid but trying to create an arbitrary distinction between "singing" and "vocals" is probably not the way to get there.

Yes

You seem to be attempting a technical ability vs expression argument. It's valid but trying to create an arbitrary distinction between "singing" and "vocals" is probably not the way to get there.
Yeah. I was under the impression that vocals and singing don’t always correlate but some research has proven me wrong.

I was gonna get into a post about semantics and how "vocalizing" and "singing" could technically be different, but I don't honestly care enough to argue about it.

The thing of it is: some people are great singers for their own work. Geddy Lee is great because Rush are great and his voice (like it or not) is an essential part of that. Joakim is great because Sabaton are great and his voice (technically gifted or not) is an essential part of that. Robert Smith is great because The Cure are great and his voice (weird and weak or not) is an essential part of that.

Lzzy Hale is a good singer in a band that doesn't really matter. She's just good at singing. To quote KK, "It is what it is."

I fucking love Tom Waits, but if someone said, "OKAY but who is a better singer, Tom Waits or Celine Dion?!!!?!!" I wouldn't even consider Tom Waits as an answer. I prefer Tom Waits. Tom Waits is a better songwriter. Tom Waits is a better artist. Tom Waits has the perfect voice for Tom Waits songs. But he has the voice of a drunken preacher that swallowed a toad. It's that simple.

I'mma move over to the Drunk Posting thread meow...

The thing of it is: some people are great singers for their own work. Geddy Lee is great because Rush are great and his voice (like it or not) is an essential part of that. Joakim is great because Sabaton are great and his voice (technically gifted or not) is an essential part of that.
I think it's more a case of round pegs in round holes for Sabaton and Rush. In Sabaton's case, I think it's fair to say that they're greater than the sum of their parts. What Joakim brings to the table in abundance is his energy and charisma and a frontman which make up for a lot when someone is lacking in vocal ability and songwriting talent. I've always found Geddy's vocals to be a bit shrill and weak for me, but Rush wouldn't be Rush without his vocals and what I find underwhelming in his singing is more than made up for by the musicianship and songwriting of Rush.

I'll throw in a sympathy vote for Geddy Lee. In any other group I likely wouldn't have voted for him, but I'm not particularly fond of anyone else here.

Geddy Lee and Joakim are fitting vocalists for their bands, but there's little use for their vocals outside of them.

Lzzy is OK, but that song is generiiiiic as fuck.

Robert Smith is my favorite vocalist here. His voice has been unchanged for 40 years, and I think he'd be great even outside The Cure.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 76:
Geddy Lee
Joakim Brodén
Robert Smith

Promoted after Round 76:
Lzzy Hale

A.A. Nemtheanga (PRIMORDIAL)

Floor Jansen (AFTER FOREVER, NIGHTWISH, REVAMP)

Ian Gillan (BLACK SABBATH, DEEP PURPLE)

Peter Tägtgren (HYPOCRISY, PAIN)

And I'm going for Gillan. I've heard a few performances where I didn't rate him, but this example is really excellent, and I can't place Floor above that. Tägtgren has a great growl, but he's up against strong competition here.

Back