Because it's a better song

Which is the better track?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Forgot about that game and missed choosing Adrian over Steve. :(
You missed choosing Adrian, is that what you meant there?

Okay, ain't watching any videos here; just the music...

Expected a song called Bleak to be a little more, well, bleak. Good music, but not a fan of the vocals. Nothing makes me want to explore this band further, personally. First five/six minutes of PT track pretty so-so, with nothing grabbing me here at all; strummy strummy rhythm guitar parts, no thanks; vocals are okay. At 8 minutes in we're in more interesting territory though. This, and that fact that everything I've read (on here) about Wilson makes me want to explore his work a little more, probably swings it for PT in this match-up.

Second match-up: Ah Leah is pretty repetitive. For a track under four minutes, that's not good. Driver's Seat, uh. I'm guessing the video is band shots, some faceless lady, and hopefully a driver's seat. That was dull as hell.

Arriving Somewhere is a really great song and I expect it will do well in our Steven Wilson survivor. But you put it against a behemoth. Bleak and it's not close.

No strong opinions on the second set, but I enjoyed the first song more.

Bleak and Driver's Seat win in close matches.

Close your eyes as we go way back for some Mark I-era Deep Purple

versus

Nu-metal pioneers Korn

and two proto-thrash tracks

Motorhead

versus Accept

I like neither of the first pair, though I guess I dislike the DP song slightly less, so I voted for it. Nu netal must be really great for me to accept it (like Roots or System of a Down), because the sound and the approach is pretty annoying in general. And Mk 1 Purple had better songs.

From the second, it was a close one, but I picked Accept. There's this kind of fury that even they never managed to capture again and this track, along with Ride the Sky by Helloween have always been my go-to "bestial but catchy" proto thrash tracks. Iron Fist is great too, though.

Definitely Deep Purple, Korn....make some racket.

As for the second pairing, I don't love either song or band but I'll take Lemmy's earnest and drunk vocals over Accept's testicle-vicegrip ones.

Second match has two very catchy songs.
Motörhead is Motörhead and Iron Fist is a ton of fun.
But the Accept track is just as frenetic and has an equally great chorus.
It gets the nod for a better solo.

I went Purple in the first one, although it wasn't a slam dunk and it was probably influenced by the fact I like the band a lot more. Nu-metal and heavy hippy aren't go-to sounds for me, and these tracks were textbook examples.
But there are things I like about both.

Big fan of both songs in the second match, but Accept gets my vote, and it was an easy choice for me -- it's one of my favorite metal tracks ever, and one of the very first true "speed-metal" songs. Plus, I always get a kick out of the intro.

NOT a fan of the songs in the first match. Early Purple simply wasn't very good -- that's why they changed so radically into a blues-based hard-rock band (MkII) -- but still better than Korn.

Last edited:
Deep Purple and Motorhead win.

Next, choose between two pop-punk bands

The Sounds

versus Paramore

and two metal bands that emerged in the '90s

Iced Earth

versus Blind Guardian

Not a big fan of the whole pop punk thing, but that Paramore album is one of my favorites.

I like all four of these songs a lot.

The Paramore song is (IMO) the best song on their best album, and it's very catchy. But The Sounds is a better band, and this track is just plain awesome pop goodness. It's very close, but I'm going to go with The Sounds. The production is a little rawer, almost an '80s retro feel, and it is a more mature, less teeny-bopper-sounding track. Also, The Sounds' singer's voice is more interesting. (Plus: legs.)

The second match-up is very difficult for me. I am a bigger fan of Blind Guardian than Iced Earth, and "Mirror Mirror" is one of their best. But this live version of "Pure Evil" completely smokes. There are no fewer than three different guitar riffs in the song that I find just great. Again, this is really, REALLY close, but I'm leaning toward Iced Earth. I'd probably vote differently tomorrow if given the chance.

If you told me the first two were by the same band I wouldn't have blinked. Hell, if you told me they were the same song...
Unlike Mosh, I tend to find punk/pop as my personal version of easy listening music.
Liked both. Will take the Paramore song because it seems to be a little tougher under the studio sheen.

The other matchup is a great one: arguably the high points of two similar bands.
I'm going with Iced Earth because I know the song better, but repeat listenings of the the other could change that.

Mirror Mirror has a good chorus and that's it. Pure Evil is indeed full of awesome riffs. No contest. I prefer the Paramore track because I like the verses better.

With the first pair, I could not decide. Voted for the Sounds in the end - I liked that new wave-y touch and it was probably somewhat more memorable overall. But neither is my favourite.

Went with Blind Guardian for the second, because, like, Guardian, Kürsch and Mirror Mirror. I love all three verses there (more than the chorus, even, probably).

That Iced Earth track is awesome too, however.

Iced Earth. Paramore really because Crush Crush Crush is bubblegum punky pop at its finest.

Switched my vote to BG, for no other reason than this matchup shouldn't be a 9-1 runaway!

One other note on The Sounds -- they have one of the hottest/sexiest album covers ever.
dying-to-say-this-to-you-4e7532318a1bd.jpg

So I thought I'd go for Paramore sure thing on the first matchup, turns out The Sounds are really good. I'm going to have to check them out. Paramore still wins this, as that is an all time favorite, but I actually reconsidered it. BTW anyone who likes that song needs to check out the Riot! album. Crushcrushcrush isn't even among the best songs.

Mirror Mirror is a ton of fun, I actually appreciate it more now than I did when the survivor was going on. But this one is no contest. Pure Evil is arguably the greatest Iced Earth songs and a Metal classic. Good call using the live versions btw. Any Iced Earth song is going to be better live (especially when it's on Alive At Athens) and I feel no BG album has very good production.

Are we allowed to guess who chose the songs? :D

I won't check music with stupid, on purpose crap grammar titles. I know, prejudice, but I have something against it.

Back