Because it's a better song

Which is the better track?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Knick, how do you like Mercury's vocals (on Innuendo)?Knowing you are focused on the singers, this man was absolute top wasn't he?

Big chance DT and probably also Sym X are somewhat influenced by all their bombasm. I can also see Jorn Lande doing an edition of a Queen song.

You are welcome in the Queen survivor, currently in the third album.

Last edited:
Guys, I know who Queen are. I listen to some Queen. I know all the hits and I've heard a couple albums in full - and generally feel lukewarm about their albums. From what I've heard, they made incredible songs but mediocre albums. I've heard a lot of weird Queen songs that I simply don't enjoy.

Freddie Mercury was one of the best, most versatile, and emotional rock singers ever.

Innuendo, however, is a song I've never heard and I liked Moth better.

I also know who they are but do not know their albums well (a couple of albums is not much looking at the size of their discography). Therefore this survivor is a welcome game.

I go for the Triumph song. Nice melancholy and good solos. Innuendo is one of Queen's best (that I've heard). Easy win.

Last edited:
I've never heard of any of those bands in the first matchup. After I've heard the Triumph song, I said to myself "Absolutely awesome! Dunno what the second song must have been like to win over this gem". And, well, then I listened to the MH song, especially the second part where they sometimes sound almost Diamond Head-ish and the choice became much tougher.

I'll go for Molly Hatchet this time, 'cause it spoke to my heart more and it has much more pleasant vocals - do all Canadians try to sound like Geddy Lee all the time or what?

The second was easier. Though I really like the Metallica track, Innuendo is one of the few songs in Queen discography that actually happen to move me somehow. It's really eerie and haunting and though I personally don't really like the fact that it took a serious illness and nearness of death for the band to stop doing completely emotionally detached vaudeville (I admit there are exceptions - You Take My Breath Away, You're My Best Friend - but still...), still, fair's fair.

I like the Stevie Howe guest spot, though the song is a bit more disjointed in general than I'd like. It wins easily anyway.

Also, @MrKnickerbocker , this must be where SymphX got inspiration for that part in The Odyssey from 8:20 onwards :D I can't help myself, I keep hearing it there.

Also, thanks to this thread, I discovered Molly Hatchet. Will go through the discography sometime soon. Though the song is losing so badly. :(

Winners Fight the Good Fight and Innuendo

Your Christmas Eve matchup:

two legendary hard rock bands with their takes on the „mystical epic“

(Nazareth – Please Don’t Judas Me )

(Led Zeppelin – No Quarter)

and two of the 70’s "radio fodder"

(Chicago – 25 or 6 to 4)

(Steely Dan – Bodhisattva)

Nazareth is an underrated band that kicks ass. But they do better with 4-minute rockers. No Quarter is not my favorite Zep epic, and in their live recordings it drags out to 15-minute jams. All that said, the Nazareth track doesn't really seem to go anywhere. I kept expecting a big payoff, but it never came. The Zep track drags a bit at the beginning, and at other spots along they way, but it does deliver power and majesty in the end.

The second pairing involves two of the lamest, white, dad-boner bands of all time. I respect the technical skill of Steely Dan, but godDAMN do I hate their music, just the worst. Not a big Chicago fan either, but "25 or 6 to 4" is a solid track.

Well, Cornfed, my feelings are almost completely opposite - that is, I find the first pairing to be the weaker one, as I no longer properly listen to any of those two bands while I used to be a huge fan of both in high school. I'd take Nazareth over Led Zeppelin in a heartbeat, if only for the fact the former's singer is awesome and amazing while the latter's is so outstandingly annoying and terrible he tends to drag the whole band down. Still, No Quarter is one of my favourites and has an awesome riff, however (no bias here, honest) Judas is subtler and pulls me more effectively into its atmosphere. A close one, but The Naz win, as they always do.

Out of the second pair, I actually like both bands, though differently (pretty much nothing by SD truly excites me, but in general they are more consistent than Chicago - however I love Chicago with Kath and their debut used to be one of my most beloved albums in high school). Both tracks here are slightly more rocking than usual for both respective bands (again, apart from Chicago Transit Authority, that is). But where Bodhisattva is merely good, 25 or 6 to 4 is awesome. The fact that B reminds me of Purple's Lazy does not help, too.

Nazareth - What Cornfed said. It's enjoyable at the beginning but never really builds up to anything and it's very repetitive.
Led Zeppelin - I didn't think it was possible but this is even more boring. Nothing happens for first 5 minutes or so and then it ends. Crowbar's cover is much better IMO.
Voting for Nazareth because at least it's catchy.

The other two songs were similarish. Not memorable really. I guess the 2nd song was slightly better.

The first matchup features two very atmospheric songs.
Never heard the Nazareth song before and I liked it initially, but it just kept going on and on and never getting anywhere. I love McCafferty's voice though.
No quarter drifts as well, but seems more purposeful.

Chicago, easy in the other match.
The Steely Dan song is pristine but kinda frothy and boring.

Zeppelin and Chicago win

Next up

Soul Collector — Bloodbath

versus

The Heart Collector — Nevermore

And

Castles in the Air — Stratovarius

versus

Burn — Iggy and the Stooges

Bloodbath blows Nevermore out of the water. Never got into Nevermore, Bloodbath on the other hand is fucking awesome.

Easy choice on the second one, Iggy & the Stooges. Stratovarius is as far away from my taste as a band can be.

Back