Because it's a better song

Which is the better track?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The winners (if anyone is keeping score) were Gary Moore and Mastodon.
(Yes, the last one was a tie. But my arbitrary rule for the day is "tie goes to NightProwler's happiness")

The first match for today includes songs that two of our favourite musicians played while philandering from our favourite band

Steve Harris, British Lion and A World Without Heaven

Adrian Smith, Primal Rock Rebellion and Mirror and the Moon

The other new match features a pair of songs with the same title:

The thrash version of Angel of Death by Slayer

And the classic metal Angel of Death by Thin Lizzy

Awesome! :ok:

Nightwish, not so awesome...
Very awesome. Some of my nicest gigs I've been to were Nightwish gigs, back in 2002 and 2004. Great live band, great songs (at least: back then). Looking forward to the next match-ups. I need to get through The Call Of Ktulu first to finish off Metallica's best album.

EDIT:
A World Without Heaven has a weak chorus but the rest of the song has very catchy guitar sections. I also like this moody part @ 3:15. The variation and melodies take it over its opponent.

I prefer the Slayer track over the Lizzy one. What an intense aggression. The "mid" tempo parts encompass some of the best headbanging moments possible.

Last edited:
I do not like the vocalists in either British Lion or PRR. The former has a voice that is too weak for the material and is recorded/mixed at an odd level that emphasizes that weakness. PRR just has a quality I don't enjoy. However, I far prefer the music and melodies in the British Lion song over the odd Floyd vibe of the PRR tune. Both of these bands would sound better with Jon Bush singing :D

Thin Lizzy. By a mile. Because I like melody and I don't like Slayer.

First match-up is easy. British Lion sounds like AOR radio that you accidentally tune into in the middle of the night. The PRR tune is at least interesting. Now, I'm still undecided on the second pairing. It's a classic tale of heart vs. mind. Thin Lizzy is clearly the better song - but my heart is with Slayer.....Hmmm!

PRR & Slayer for me. I can't stand the British Lion stuff, too bland. Mirror & the Moon isn't one of my favorites from that album but it's way more exciting. The vocals have more character to them, the mood grabs me better. Lizzy song is decent, nice riffs. But Slayer one is a classic, one of the best ever thrash songs.

I'm sorry, but the second match is no contest.
There are better Lizzy songs, but they are an awesome band. Slayer is terrible.

I like aggression as much as the next guy, but this is aggression for the sake of aggression and it has absolutely nothing else going for it. There is nothing cheeky or badass or nihilistic or fun about it like the aggression of punk. It's the musical equivalent of road rage. I guess it must take some kind of chops to play that fast, but there isn't an ounce of nuance or melody there. 4

I like the ominous feel of the Lizzy song. It's got in interesting solo, cool drum fills, a fun, self-aware, cheesy mid-section and a great, haggard vocal performance from Lynott. 8.5

I understand the criticisms, but British Lion gets a bad rap on here. This is one of the album's best tracks. Solid composition and melodies, although the rhythm guitars could have used more crunch. I like the way Steve's bass underpins everything, pushing and pulling the pace through its transitions with a great deal of finesse. The instrumental break is excellent - the most Maiden thing on the album. 8

I give the nod here to PRR though. This song has grown on me so much. Like Flash says, great character and mood carried by the vocal - like you've caught a strong friend in a rare, vulnerable moment. The music is sad and gorgeous, fading and swelling with tasteful orchestrations. Beautiful stuff. 10

British Lion & Thin Lizzy.

The BL song is a good, straightforward bit of rock songwriting, with some nice energy and retro feel, if a touch dated and uncomplicated in character. The PRR song isn't one of my favourite, it comes across as a meandering, quieter moment on an already slightly arty, collaborative experiment of an album.

The Lizzy song has a lot of character and nice melody. Slayer by and large aren't a band I can spend much time listening to, too much of their music sounds the same to me, resulting in few stand-out memorable songs.

PRR does everything better. More unique vocals & music, better production, way more energetic. British Lion only has Steve Harris' name going for it.

2nd one isn't even a contest.

PRR does everything better. More unique vocals & music, better production, way more energetic. British Lion only has Steve Harris' name going for it.

2nd one isn't even a contest.

I think you are comparing bands now. This is about these songs.
This PRR song way more energetic? More energetic? Not even energetic. Not the slightest.

I ain't a big fan of any of these so far, but the match-ups have had clear winners in my view nonetheless. Late to the party on the first group, but I would agree with the winners, particularly Gary Moore original of "Over The Hills and Far Away" (though I strongly prefer this to both). I'd rather hear an Irishman play an Irish folk song than an overproduced, overrated Finnish Broadway-show-tunes "metal" band. I've come to the conclusion that, with a couple of songs that are exceptions, Nightwish generally sucks.

In the current matchup, I'll go with H over 'Arry, though neither song is worth a shit, and I'll go with the classic Slayer track--I like Lizzy better than Slayer, but this was not their finest hour.

I didn't like either the British Lion or PRR albums, so I don't really have a preference toward either going into this.

A World Without Heaven has a cool 80's AOR feel to it. Main riff of this is very similar to the synth riff in Have A Cigar by Floyd. Lots of great melodies on this, has that classic Steve Harris feel but also hard to peg it with any particular Maiden tune. At times it sounds like something off SIT, at other times it sounds like FOTD. The ending is classic Steve. Only downside is the vocalist, I get what Steve was going for but I think all the music he writes lends itself to someone with a powerful voice. Otherwise I'm very impressed with this, might have to revisit the British Lion stuff.

PRR is different and I can give it credit for that, but it doesn't do much for me. British Lion easily takes this.

The other match is two songs that I am more familiar with and enjoy. The Slayer song is a triumph for the genre, it is relentless and thunderous. The riffing is awesome. Love when it goes into a half time feel toward the 2 minute mark. Anyone who says Slayer lacks melody needs to listen to that part again. There's a lot going on here for such a short song, which is Slayer's best quality IMO.

The Lizzy song is also very high quality though. Despite the synths and 80s drum sound, they manage to keep it heavy. Really great riffing and gallop-y beat. You can really hear the Maiden influence in this track. Very chilling middle section too. Gonna give it to Slayer though as that might actually be their finest hour. The Lizzy is good but they have better.

Back