Battle Of Covers: Results

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Well, the Anthrax vote was obvious - one of my favourite covers ever! I just love the chicken in my head!

The rest was tougher… Halford’s voice sounds terrible there, Gamma Ray’s cover is meh and the Iced Earth cover sounds terrible sterile for some reason. So, although it’s not my favourite Pink Floyd song or my favourite cover, the Nightwish one is probably the second best. It’s solid and it has Marco!

I really like Halford's voice on that song, and the song itself.

Gamma Ray - good, if not drastically different.
Iced Earth - does justice to Hallowed and also adds a nice Iced Earth-y touch

Got The Time
Never heard the original. On its own, this is a bit too silly. Bass is pretty good though.

Heavy Metal Mania
Never heard the original. Nice riffs and melodies at the beginning and the end, but the middle part of the song is super boring and monotone and Kai's vocals are pretty bad.

Winter Song
Again, never heard the original, and again, this was pretty boring.

Hallowed Be Thy Name
Great cover of the best song ever, easy vote here.

High Hopes
Original song is legendary. Cover isn't anything special, but it doesn't have much of a competition in this round so it gets my 2nd vote.

Nice. Very similar to the original but that bit darker and more moody. Is it tuned down?

It's good but I think Iced Earth did it way better. Put more of their own sound into the cover and had Barlow and better drums.

This Hallowed cover is also cool:

Wasn't that one on the Maiden Heaven tribute album? (A major reason I got back into Maiden).

Phase 1, Round 4 Results:
Got The Time and Hallowed Be Thy Name are promoted; Heavy Metal Mania, Winter Song and High Hopes are eliminated.

Phase 1, Round 5:

Many, many people have covered Kill The King. None have done as good a job as this, in my opinion. Russell Allen absolutely slays on his Dio covers. Best person in the world to sing Dio-minus-Dio. I wish Adrenaline Mob would stop making original garbage music and just be a badass covers project.

Also, DragonForce. It's ludicrously stupid, but points go for innovation and fun.

Back