Battle Of Covers: Results

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Amorphis: It's definitely the funniest one, I just couldn't take it seriously. It's cool in a way, but I don't think the marriage of the original song and the death metal aesthetics is such a good idea. And I'm not Manzarek's bootlicker to begin with, to be clear.

Crowbar: The song definitely great, but it deviates from the original a bit too much. It's cool, heavy and sludgey, but I like the original a bit too much to fully accept this.

Edguy: I don't know. I don't like the original all that much, and I definitely don't like this version. Way too cheesy for me.

Ensiferum: Definitely the best one. This is currently my favourite version of Battery. It's just great! My vote goest for them.

Kalmah: A cool Megadeth cover, I like it a lot. Also, seeing they have currently no vote, they get mine. They surely deserved it.

Phase 1, Round 1 Results:
Battery and Light My Fire are promoted; No Quarter, Rock Me Amadeus and Skin O' My Teeth are eliminated.

Phase 1, Round 2:

Deep Purple: Their peak was still ahead at this time; this one sounds very dated. Still, it’s freakin’ Deep Purple - Blackmore, Lord and Paice are all present. Lord especially. My #2 in this round, easily.

Faith No More: Even when I was deep in my Faith No More appreciation mood (which was around my sophomore year in law school), I still disliked the song. First of all, it’s really not fitting their style, it’s way too popular … and Patton’s much better fit for the throat-ripping in Cuckoo for Caca than this; he sounds like a very obnoxious lounge lizard here. That sleazy “oomph” at 1:51 before the solo is one of the silliest things I’ve ever heard from the FNM camp, especially since it’s also present in the original.
Nowadays I enjoy the original much more, if only for the reason it’s much rarer, at least here in Czech Republic.

Iced Earth: I must admit I know pretty much nothing about IE (I’ve heard the first Something Wicked album once), but this would be nearly enough to convince me not to listen to them. The vocals are really getting on my nerves. Who is that, for the love of God? Owens? Barlow? It sounds like a parody! The thoughts about Blaze’s and Meat Loaf’s illegitimate son came to mind instantly (and I like those two). Instrumentally, it’s good, but I just can’t get past that.
Important Post Scriptum: Since I've written this, I've put on the Something Wicked album again and, 1.) It must be Barlow, 2.) I don't mind him at all, usually, on the album he sounds quite good. It's just here that his voice doesn't fit at all. I don't know whether he had a weaker moment or whatnot, or if it's in comparison with the original, but this here cover is simply bad, to be honest.

The Byrds: An easy win. I mean, it’s something completely different from the original - it has nearly nothing in common with the Dylan song, but I like it anyway. It has different goals, after all. Very hard to dislike.

The Jeff Healey Band: That would be a no from me. It completely misses the point of the original - the guitar’s supposed to weep, not whine or roll around in hysterics. The intro sounds more like Babe, I’m Gonna Leave You, by LedZep, the singer is way too grungy to me and the guitar is a tad… overplaying is the word, I believe.
I don’t doubt but The Jeff Healey Band are good, from what I’ve heard… but they failed to capture the minimalistic genius of the original. George Harrison is a tough guy to put your finger on and my favorite Beatle and I believe his songs require a very specific approach to work properly. Still, it’s probably my third choice, if anything. P. S. - Does anyone understand the music video? I surely don’t.

Last edited:
Iced Earth and Healy are too by the numbers.
Faith No More offers nothing more than the irony of them covering Lionel Ritchie.
Purple and the Byrds make those songs their own.

Not easy. Gone for Deep Purple and Iced Earth. The Byrds do an excellent job, much preferable to the original, but I just don't enjoy that song in general. Jeff Healey Band do a great job too, wish I had more than two votes to spare. FNM...I found that song depressing to begin with, this doesn't add anything.

The Byrds, of course, great cover of one the best songs ever. "Wow, you can dance to it!", as Dylan himself put it, which we'll interpret as a positive remark for now.

And Purple, I like that one a lot.

Hush
Never heard the original, and honestly didn't know this was a cover for a long time. Either way, never cared for this one and I care even less now that I know it's a cover; overplayed as fuck.

Easy
Way better than the original and probably one of the best covers in this game, so obviously I'm voting for it. Awesome solo too.

The Ripper
As good as the original IMO. Adds nothing new apart from the heaviness but it still kicks ass.

Mr. Tambourine Man
Solid cover, way better than the original, but that's to be expected... Can't think of a Dylan cover that's not better than the original, he's a horrible singer.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Original is quite solid, but this version is way better. Solos are way better and it's played slightly faster which works much better IMO. Didn't expect it, but voting for it over Iced Earth.

Although I think my votes won't change anything, crazy results <_<

The Byrds' version cuts out the best verses, so obviously it can't be better than the original. ;)

Phase 1, Round 2 Results:
Mr. Tambourine Man and Hush are promoted; Easy, The Ripper and While My Guitar Gently Weeps are eliminated.

Phase 1, Round 3:

Now why did you pick that video instead of the original VanHalen video?

Back