Battle Of Covers: Results

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
These are all pretty great. I'm still not sure if I prefer Pretty Woman or 2000 Man.

Whipping Post
Never heard the original. This one would be OK if it wasn't for the guitar wankery in the middle, that was really unnecessary.

Knockin' On Heaven's Door
Another cover of a Dylan song that destroys the original in every way possible. Gets my vote.

2000 Man
I don't think I ever heard the original. This cover as a standalone song is nothing special.

Roll Over Beethoven
Fun cover but I prefer the original.

Oh, Pretty Woman
Way better than the original, one of the best covers in the game! Gets my 2nd vote.

I like the Zappa cover, else I wouldn't have nominated it.
GnR is awful. I feel about Axl Rose the way many feel about Dylan, and this might be his worst performance ever. Every single intonation is wrong.
"2000 Man" wasn't exactly a Stones classic to begin with, and Kiss' version doesn't improve on it.
The Beatles - good, but nothing all that special.
Van Halen works well - the singer is no Orbison, but the guitar work is good.

I vote Zappa and VH.

I love the Allman Brothers original, but Zappa's cover is very, very cool. And GNR manage to make Knockin' On Heaven's Door really great (despite my dislike of them). They get my votes.

- Don't know the Stones song, don't care much for the Kiss version.
- Chuck Berry's original slays The Beatles' cover.
- Meh on Halen.

I will sacrifice my Van Halen vote for another Zappa vote. :D

Phase 1, Round 3 Results:
Knockin' On Heaven's Door and Whipping Post are promoted; 2000 Man, Roll Over Beethoven and Oh, Pretty Woman are eliminated.

Phase 1, Round 4:

Only vote goes to Anthrax.

- Gamma Ray are so silly
- Halford's terribly cheesy, choked out voice ruins a beautiful song
- Never cared for Iced Earth covers, the incredibly thin production here doesn't help
- Don't like Floyd, don't care for Nightwish covering Floyd.

The Gamma Ray cover rules. Great riffing, enthusiastic performance. I don't know the original but I don't mind.

Last edited:
Back