Basketball

valacirca

Trooper
There's an official Football, American Football, Baseball and Hockey thread...

...anyone interested in Basketball? The new season of the NBA is coming up and I thought there might be some fans here.

Yes please? lol I for one am a VERY casual observer, but even I am excited to see what the Heat are going to do with James, Wade and Bosch. They average 27, 26 and 24 points a game respectively. That's 77 points in a game just between those players! I think they are young enough to do what Chicago did in the early 90s

TFF said:
LAKERS!!!!!!!  :yey:

Yep.  I've become a big Lakers fan since moving to L.A. fourteen years ago.  Kobe owns this city more than any movie star.  For all the talk of the Lakers and the Heat, though, the real story of this season will (hopefully) be Kevin Durant.  He is already one of the top five players in the league, and this may be an MVP year for him, given that LeBron's scoring numbers will be down now that he's playing with Wade. 

Now that LeBron took the easy way out teaming up with Wade and Bosh in Miami, Durant is the clear MVP frontrunner in my eyes.

I'm doubtful about the chemistry that the Big 3 will have in Miami... not to mention what sort of quality they have on their team outside those three players.

Having said that, I've been a Laker fan since the early 90's so... three-peat!

Easy way? What the fuck ever! He spent SEVEN years in Cleveland where management failed to build a decent team around him. More like getting what he's due. Remember he was drafted out of highschool (like Kobe) and is already 25.... he honestly doesn't have much left (Kobe is in his early 30s and showing signs of aging usually seen in 34-36 year old players). There are only so many games the body can take regardless of when you start playing pro-ball. James did the right thing.

As for the Lakers... The Heat may have "The Big Three," But the Lakers have THE BEST duo in the league in Kobe and Gasol. The best American player and the best European player on the same team. In last year's playoffs these two single handedly won games on more than one ocassion, specially int he clutch.

Outside of these to teams I expect more of the same. An incredibly weak East and the usual suspects of Mavericks, Spurs, Lakers and Heat in the West. 

Like what Michael Jordan said about Lebron's move:
There's no way, with hindsight, I would've ever called up Larry, called up Magic and said, 'Hey, look, let's get together and play on one team but that's ... things are different. I can't say that's a bad thing. It's an opportunity these kids have today. In all honesty, I was trying to beat those guys.

Another one, this time by Bill Simmons:
In May, after the Cavs were ousted in the conference semifinals, I wrote that LeBron was facing one of the greatest sports decisions ever: "winning (Chicago), loyalty (Cleveland) or a chance at immortality (New York)."

I never thought he would pick "HELP!"

That pretty much sums up what I feel about Lebron's move to Miami. Sure, the goal is to win a championship, but if you want to be the best you have to beat the best... not team up with them. Lebron... Kobe... Wade... Durant... Howard... these are players that franchises are built around on. One marquee player going to another marquee player's team just to get that elusive ring seems like a cop-out. It's what separates Lebron from players like Jordan, Kobe - and with what he's been showing lately - Durant as well. These are players with the leadership, drive and attitude that separates great players from those who are simply skilled and talented.

I'm not saying he should have stayed with the Cavs though. His best move was if had gone to Chicago where they already had the pieces to build a solid team around him that would have had a good shot at the title. I mean come on... adding him to a lineup that has Rose, Boozer, Noah and Deng... now that would slay. As it is right now, Lebron will be playing Pippen to Wade's Jordan, and we don't even know the quality of players they have coming off the bench.

My interest in Pro Basketball has really declined over the years (I enjoyed the Bulls runs in the 90s), but since then it is such a one on one game, it has gotten boring.  I enjoy college much more.  I'll watch the pros when the playoffs roll around and people decide to play defense and pass the ball on occasion.

Miami Heat, New York Knicks, Boston Celtics and Dallas Mavericks have amazing winning streaks right now.

The Heat destroyed the Knicks 113-91 and extended their winning streak to 11 games. LeBron James had a triple double (32-11-10), Dwyane Wade 26-8-5, Chris Bosh 26-7-1.

GO HEAT !

The Xmas day games were interesting to say the least. I'm pleased to see the magic are getting back to their old status, although Boston is my favourite team :p

maidenhead1996 said:
We (Miami Heat) destroyed the Lakers on the Xmas day  :yey:

Pretty much how the Cavs destroyed the Lakers on Xmas day last year. Unfortunately, the Cavs were nowhere to be found come June. :bigsmile:

valacirca said:
Pretty much how the Cavs destroyed the Lakers on Xmas day last year. Unfortunately, the Cavs were nowhere to be found come June. :bigsmile:

Cavs = LeBron, Mo Williams, Antawn Jamison
Heat = LeBron, D-Wade, Chris Bosh

Isn't there a "little" difference  :p

Heat defeated the Knicks today ! Dwyane Wade was amazing with 40 points (season high) and 9 rebounds.

Ok lets have some early predictions for the NBA finals IMO if the celtics are all healthy come playoff time they will advance to the NBA finals for the last time with their current team, and IMO they will win it this time. If they have key injuries then the Heat will advance, but the lakers will beat them.

An interesting stat I saw however, was that if a team has a 10 game or more winning streak broken by the bucks, they have always gone on to win the championship. This happened to the mavs this year :eek:

Why on earth would the Celtics trade Kendrick Perkins?  I think the Thunder just got a LOT better.  Most interesting series of mid-season trades I can ever recall. 

cornfedhick said:
Why on earth would the Celtics trade Kendrick Perkins?  I think the Thunder just got a LOT better.  Most interesting series of mid-season trades I can ever recall. 

I agree. And they traded Semih Erden too, they trust O'Neals on the championship road that's really interesting.

Back