Basketball

Although I don't post about basketball here because there's next to none interest in it here, there's some cool news regarding basketball. In women's basketball's Champions League (called Euroleague) the final will be played between Galatasaray and Fenerbahçe. Seeing the Turkish derby in the biggest club game of a sport field is exciting.

I like basketball, but i have a problem, since most sports went into private networks several years ago i don't want (and i can't right now, even if i wanted it) to pay for them.

That Sterling tape.. now I am not sure who recorded it and who brought it out in the open but:
Did anyone else think about a certain b-side on the 2 Minutes to Midnight single? The girlfriend being in the role of Bruce: record, and keep stirring the pot.

It was his ex-girlfriend who happened to be black. I've discussed the matter extensively on a basketball forum, Sterling is banned from basketball courts for life, he's due to pay 2,5 million dollars in suspension and will be forced to sell his team by the owners' organization and NBA. Now, Clippers were the laughing stock of the league when Sterling bought the team (around 150 million dollars) but they now are one of the best teams in their conference and one of the most marketable teams in the league and value around 1,5 billion dollars so Sterling is going to make a huge profit off of Clippers regardless. But it's better to keep him out of the league.

He actually was a cancerous owner whose employees did not like anyway, so Clippers fans will celebrate his expulsion.

Sterling isn't being forced to sell the Clippers. He is being urged to do so, but the NBA isn't forcing him to. I guess there's a difference.

Zach Lowe of Grantland says that NBA will control the sale of the Clippers in the event they get the required 3/4 required owner vote to force it.

I'm going by what the NBA president or commissioner or whatever says. I guess the owners commission can probably force a sale.

Sterling literally got a lot of Black and Mexicans kicked out of their apartments and said that they smell and drink all day and don't work. The people sued and Sterling decided to settle for I forgot how many millions. He's been sued twice by two women. He's a racist, sexist, slum lord. The NBA knew but nobody cared. Now because of Twitter and all of social media(even those bastards at tmz) he finally is getting whats coming to him better late than never.

Avoid pictures and videos of Paul George's injury at all costs. Horrifying :confused:

I won't.

Watched it. Horrible, horrible stuff. He's an up and coming star in the league and one of my favorite players to watch as well, hopefully he bounces back. But his athleticism is a key component to his game, it might have a long term effect on it.

That was really bad. I was in Vegas a few weeks ago, caught some NBA Summer League games. Was kinda cool, saw the Bulls game in it's entirety and parts of 4 other games (there are 2 going on at a time).

Anyone watching the World Cup? Looking forward to tomorrow's game, I think we have a chance against France :) Either way, whoever wins will be smashed by USA in the final :p

I pretty much ignore international basketball unless there is a particular player I want to see. The Yugoslavian teams (Kukoc, Drazen, etc) and some Lithuanian teams were the last ones that could really field a competitive team against the US IMO

Anyone watching the World Cup? Looking forward to tomorrow's game, I think we have a chance against France :) Either way, whoever wins will be smashed by USA in the final :p

I obviously am watching it (Basketball is my favorite sport to watch and I'm quite passionate about it, as I mentioned here before). Serbia is a worse matchup for the US, I hope they advance to the final to keep it competitive. France's main weapon is their athleticism (combined with Boris Diaw's basketball IQ) which wouldn't work against the US.

I pretty much ignore international basketball unless there is a particular player I want to see. The Yugoslavian teams (Kukoc, Drazen, etc) and some Lithuanian teams were the last ones that could really field a competitive team against the US IMO

That really isn't true. Argentina, Spain and Greece have beaten the US since the start of the 21st century as well. And Spain kept it very competitive in the finals of 2008 and 2012 Olympics.

Last edited:
USA's destroying us in World Cup final, but that was to be expected. Still a great success for us even if we lose +60. USA is just on another level.

@The Flash:

Interested to hear how your media is treating this scandal with murdered Red Star fan in Istanbul. Really a scumbag move by Galatasaray fans to boo the minute of silence for the guy who died.

@The Flash:

Interested to hear how your media is treating this scandal with murdered Red Star fan in Istanbul. Really a scumbag move by Galatasaray fans to boo the minute of silence for the guy who died.

The media doesn't really seem to have a grasp on the event. Apparently (according to a friend of mine who attended the game) Red Star fans attacked people on the streets who had nothing to do with the game in the hours leading to the game, which caused some tension between the two sets of fans, who then led swearing chants against each other during the game. Turkish police reports that the murder happened during a clash between Red Star fans but I'm not quite sure. Both Serbs and Turks are known to be quite nationalist peoples, might have turned into something completely about national tension there.

Last edited:
Back