Are you pleased with Maiden's direction?

That doesn't make him reaching the high notes.  :innocent:
Live he's way worse. Circumstances was horrible, last time they did that.

Speaking of direction:

Here's Nicko on it:
-------
interview

As I mentioned, there are definite progressive rock elements on the record. Do you listen to prog rock, whether it's new or old?

"Oh, without a doubt. I grew up with bands like Love Unlimited, Hawkwind, Golden Earring, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple - although Purple aren't really progressive; they were in their earlier days. And then, of course, there was Pink Floyd, one of my all-time favorite bands from that period - very progressive.

"With The Final Frontier, it wasn't as if we regressed. We took a lot of our history and revisited it in certain ways. Take our album A Matter Of Life And Death, for example: that's a very adventurous record that uses elements from late '60s and early '70s underground progressive rock. So now we kind of stepped back into that territory and carried if further, way beyond anything we've ever done before. The segues, the song structures, the time signatures - we placed no restrictions on ourselves."

Forostar said:
That doesn't make him reaching the high notes.  :innocent:
Live he's way worse. Circumstances was horrible, last time they did that.

The set had more than 30 songs and you judge his voice for one song, only?

Let me first say that I became a Maiden fan around 2 or 3 years ago and avoided the modern material for quite a while - not because I heard samples and didn't care for it, but because a 45 year old guy who got me into them told me those albums were no good.  But I finally took the plunge and bought Brave New World --- and was blown away.  I love all of the reunion records, like most of the Blaze stuff, etc.  (By the way, my pal who got me into Maiden?  Loves all four modern albums now, thanks to me  :D )

To the point - I love the direction Maiden is going.  Do you know why I have so much trouble getting into a lot of metal bands?  Because every record/song etc. sounds the same to me. I love that with Maiden each album has a sound, a motif, a theme, a special something that sets it apart.  Some are better than others - but all are worth something because it's all Maiden, it's all done passionately and skillfully.

If the next record is Powerslave II, I will be stoked.  If it's longer songs, proggier songs, if we get a 20 minute epic that would make Rush blush, I will be ecstatic. Most of all, I want the boys to do what feels right - otherwise they're just faking it.

The Iron Maiden Forum is closed for a [glow=red,2,300]bit[/glow] to take the heat off the server - sorry for the inconvenience.

What means "a bit" for them?

It's 5-6 months and still counting.  :p
I gave up hoping it will reopen.They do need a new server, I guess?

Jeffmetal said:
The set had more than 30 songs and you judge his voice for one song, only?

That song features high vocals and is a great example to see he fucks it up. So, I am talking about high notes. HIGH notes. HIGH notes.  :)

For the rest he's still good of course!

Forostar said:
That song features high vocals and is a great example to see he fucks it up. So, I am talking about high notes. HIGH notes. HIGH notes.  :)

For the rest he's still good of course!

It's glaring on the Snakes and Arrows DVD during Freewill, as well.

Yes, for sure. I really think they've brought a more artistic touch to their music. Their past 4 albums are my faves for that, and they've gotten much deeper and more emotional.

I'm a big fan of all the albums personally, and Maiden is the only band I can think of that has never dissapointed me.  But I gotta say, every since Bruce and Adrian came back, they have gone from strength to strength, and really showing not only themselves, but all metal in general "how it's done son." 

I love the change of direction-- Brave New World is a masterpiece.  I really enjoy these epic songs they are now known for; For The Greater Good of God, The Longest Day; The Nomad, etc.  Iron Maiden has two diffferent sides which fans can enjoy or choose from-- how many other groups can  make that kind of change and be successful?

I think people who are expecting the old IM to come back and put out fast material like Aces High and The Trooper were probably disappointed with the last four studio cd's they released...which might be understandable in a way since I didn't like alot of the songs from those 4 until after listening them many times and realizing their were alot of gems there!!

To be honest i have loved all the post reunion albums and the slightly more prog direction up to and including AMOLAD but in all honesty i think TFF has taken it just a bit too far almost(but not quite) to the extent of becoming boring!!I just think some of the tracks are overly long especially the intros i think AMOLAD got it just about spot on whereas this album is i feel a wee step too far.Dont get me wrong i do like the album and the musicianship is of the highest level but it doesnt excite me as much as some previous albums, there is a distinct heard it all before(though not necessarily from Maiden) feel to it for me.Someone posted that they felt there was bit of a Rush feel to the album at times and i agree to a certain extent and dont feel i need Maiden to sound Rush like we already have Rush to do that and they do it far better IMHO.I would like a change in direction for the next album if there is one as i feel this has been taken far enough now though i do appreciate that the band are older and have changed and developed over the years and have earned the right to do whatever they feel they want to do i dont want another Powerslave ,NOTB or SIT but something a bit more exciting than TFF would do nicely

I can understand why you feel that way, I felt that with AMOLAD for some time, but for me the new album is more exiting. Probobly because I don't listen to other bands like Rush or such wich makes it sounds a bit more fresh to my ears =)

Yes I am.  The reunion albums have all been better than the 1990s albums and even stand up to 1980s Maiden.  The new albums aren't as consistent as POM, PS, and SSOASS, but they're also much longer.  Drop the weaker songs and you still have a normal album's worth of great music.

Nothing on TFF blew me away the first few listens, but after a week of absorbing it, I'm giving it a big thumbs up.  Comparing it to their last few albums: The slow and mellow song introductions aren't too annoying this time out.  There are no awkward choruses or singing (I love Nomad, Paschendale, and The Longest Day, but something about some of the vocal arrangements in each didn't quite come off).  There's nothing annoyingly repetitive (I'm looking at you Dream of Mirrors and No More Lies).  Dickinson's voice strains, but he still sounds good.

There are only two tracks I dislike enough to skip: Mother of Mercy and Coming Home.  Tracks 1, 2, and 5 are good and tracks 6-10 are excellent.  Overall, I think TFF is on par with their best work.

Maiden are definitely going from strength to strength, I'm really enjoying TFF, It's a great album.  I thought it'd be pretty hard to top AMOLAD, but I reckon they've done it with this. When The Wild Wind Blows is a beautiful song, definitely my fave out of them all!

I'm a huge fan of the progressive direction they're taking.  I personally prefer longer, more intricate songs so naturally I'm very pleased with TFF.

Prowler_108 said:
I'm a huge fan of the progressive direction they're taking.  I personally prefer longer, more intricate songs so naturally I'm very pleased with TFF.

There are countless other people on this board that have explained it better than I could, but longer songs does not equal more intricate.  I'd be interested to hear what you feel is intricate on any of TFF's long songs.

I'd consider Isle of Avalon, Starblind, The Talisman, and The Man Who Would Be King the most intricate.  i understand how long songs aren't necessarily more intricate, but I feel they've really done a good job of making the long songs on TFF interesting.

Back