Are you pleased with Maiden's direction?

Crimson Mask said:
  I'd be interested to hear what you feel is intricate on any of TFF's long songs.

Take Starblind for exemple. There so much going on beneath the verses, the guitars play different things, one waves in an out, the other play a little melody or a small lead, not to mention the rhythm one. On top of it all, at 5:06 begins one of the most memorable instrumental passages ever put out by anyone: I'd venture saying that this magnificent 7/8 riff and related harmonization, in fact, the whole song, structure and lyric wise, is worthy of the immortal legacy of the Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. A piece of music on the same league as Infinite Dreams or Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son.

Starblind is in many ways a counterpart to Infinite Dreams plus, the song changes keys all the time - E, Eb, D, F. It's not difficult or intricated, but it's an album made with dexterity and with the skill only musicians of this caliber can do. It really impresses me how can Maiden still entice us with their music using the same regions and harmony sequences. It's really phenomenal!!!

Jeffmetal said:
Starblind is in many ways a counterpart to Infinite Dreams plus, the song changes keys all the time - E, Eb, D, F. It's difficult or intricated, but it's an album made wityh dexterity and with the skill only musicians of this caliber can do. It really impresses me how can Maiden still entice us with their music using the same regions and harmony sequences. It's really phenomenal!!!

At what points does the song change keys Jeff?

The main riff is E, then modulates to C, then A; the first chorus is E, G, C, D; the second chorus is E, C, D, G then G, Eb, F, G; the 7/8 breakdown is in E, then on Dave's solos is C, G ,D, then modulates to Eb, Bb, F. The other breakdown with that single melody after Janick's solo is is Dm, Bb, C (like in FOTD). I only overlooked about the songs so there are inaccuracies and also, Mother Of Mercy and The Alchemist are in drop D tuning, and I think The Talisman, too.

Jeffmetal said:
The main riff is E, then modulates to C, then A; the first chorus is E, G, C, D; the second chorus is E, C, D, G then G, Eb, F; the 7/8 breakdown is in E, the on Dave's solos is C,G,D, then modulates to Eb, Bb, F. The other breakdown with that single melody after Janick's solo is is Dm, Bb, C (like in FOTD). I only overlooked about the songs and also, Mother Of Mercy and The Alchemist are in drop D tuning, and I think The Talisman, too.

You freak!

Awesome, gonna listen for that next time.

Ahahahahahahahah... it's not that difficult, dude. Also on Starblind, there are a lot of single meoldies flowing in and out that gives some incredible colouring to the song. There's a 3rd interval with the main riff on the left channel on the first chorus that really makes difference and Dave plays a little solo underneath the second chorus.

Jeffmetal said:
Ahahahahahahahah... it's not that difficult, dude. Also on Starblind, there are a lot of single meoldies flowing in and out Starblind that gives some incredible colouring to the song. There's a 3rd interval with the main riff on the left channel on the first chorus that really makes difference and Dave plays a little solo underneath the second chorus.
Can you provide time signatures for the 3rd interval and for Dave's solo? I always kind get lost in the song's structure... I'm literally mesmerized listening to this one!

I'd also be curious to know what time signatures Starblind is played in. It's very hard for me to follow, and seems almost jazzy in it's complexity.

I love it. I think it's amazing, and the last 4 albums prove it.

Chaos, I think that the middle part with the unique solo is 7/8. The other parts feel like common time.

lightintheblack said:
To be honest i have loved all the post reunion albums and the slightly more prog direction up to and including AMOLAD but in all honesty i think TFF has taken it just a bit too far almost(but not quite) to the extent of becoming boring!!I just think some of the tracks are overly long especially the intros i think AMOLAD got it just about spot on whereas this album is i feel a wee step too far.Dont get me wrong i do like the album and the musicianship is of the highest level but it doesnt excite me as much as some previous albums, there is a distinct heard it all before(though not necessarily from Maiden) feel to it for me.Someone posted that they felt there was bit of a Rush feel to the album at times and i agree to a certain extent and dont feel i need Maiden to sound Rush like we already have Rush to do that and they do it far better IMHO.I would like a change in direction for the next album if there is one as i feel this has been taken far enough now though i do appreciate that the band are older and have changed and developed over the years and have earned the right to do whatever they feel they want to do i dont want another Powerslave ,NOTB or SIT but something a bit more exciting than TFF would do nicely

Totally agree.

The band got the balance spot on with AMOLAD (my personal fave alongside BNW).  However, I too feel the band have taken it a bit too far with the 'prog' element on TFF and lost too much of the guts and aggression that I loved with the 80s classics.  Also, with the exception of Where The Wild Wind Blows, so much of the album was very preictable.  I mean, The Talisman seems like a blatant rewrite of The Legacy and Coming Home, as much as I like it, seems very similar (and possibly inferior) version of Blood Brothers. -_-

That said, I' m getting a 15th album from my favourite band 30 years into their recording career!  Everything is a bonus at this stage and with tracks like Where The Wild Winds Blows, I'm a very happy and grateful fan! :p

nibblet said:
Totally agree.

The band got the balance spot on with AMOLAD (my personal fave alongside BNW).  However, I too feel the band have taken it a bit too far with the 'prog' element on TFF and lost too much of the guts and aggression that I loved with the 80s classics.  Also, with the exception of Where The Wild Wind Blows, so much of the album was very preictable.  I mean, The Talisman seems like a blatant rewrite of The Legacy and Coming Home, as much as I like it, seems very similar (and possibly inferior) version of Blood Brothers. -_-

That said, I' m getting a 15th album from my favourite band 30 years into their recording career!  Everything is a bonus at this stage and with tracks like Where The Wild Winds Blows, I'm a very happy and grateful fan! :p

I too hold AMOLAD as my person favorite.  But TFF is gaining fast.  After listening to TFF for a while, AMOLAD (as well as their other works) seem almost predictable in comparison...

I respectfully disagree that TFF is just a bonus... I feel it's a crowning achievement, and one that's going to be tough to top (hopefully) in 2013.

With all due respect to your folks opinion, as I really love AMOLAD, I really see TFF as just the next bigger and better step.

But I love proggy stuff.

Can't understand what people see on AMOLAD, and to say The Talisman is a rehash of The Legacy and Coming Home a rehash of Blood Brothers shows pure lack of knowledge on the subject. Sorry.

Jeffmetal said:
Can't understand what people see on AMOLAD, and to say The Talisman is a rehash of The Legacy and Coming Home a rehash of Blood Brothers shows pure lack of knowledge on the subject. Sorry.

Can't understand what you Mr. Jeffmetal DON'T see in AMOLAD!  We'll convert you one day blast it all...

I'll tell you what! I don't see on AMOLAD what I see on every other Maiden album - musical colouring, takings risks and it has the worst production alongside the debut album. It's monotonous, it's lack lustre. TLD and FTGGOG are worse than TAATG by very, very, very, very far. TAATG gets a lot better editing it, both TLD and FTGGOG have to be rewritten and rearranged.

Jeffmetal said:
I'll tell you what! I don't see on AMOLAD what I see on every other Maiden album - musical colouring, takings risks and it has the worst production alongside the debut album. It's monotonous, it's lack lustre. TLD and FTGGOG are worse than TAATG by very, very, very, very far. TAATG gets a lot better editing it, both TLD and FTGGOG have to be rewritten and rearranged.

I understand where you're coming from.  I love The Longest Day; Greater Good, less so.  So would it be the song structures you don't like, or more of the repetitive choruses like Invader said?

I don't get the hate for TLD and FTGGOG over repetition. BTaTS has as much repetition as those 2 (Out of the darkness, brighter than a thousand suns) and is universally loved which just seems unfair.

I don't get what the deal about being pissed off about repetitive choruses is at all.

It's not the repetitve chorus as Maiden always had it, it's that most of the songs are boring and uninspired and TLD and FTGGOG are some of Maiden's worse.

Back