Are you pleased with Maiden's direction?

nibblet said:
Yes. of course, you're right!  My apologies clearly you know what I think and you are certainly right that no-ones view but your own are correct.  Really, its a wonder why anyone would think you were mispalced with your arrogance.

If I agree that an opinion which is the very opposite of my own opinion is right, too, for whom then I freaking think for? :huh:

I can only think for myself and defend my opinon, and surely expose why I have such opinion and why I disagree with someone else. That's a debate, then a discussion. Now, leave me in peace. Thanks very much.

nibblet said:
Yes. of course, you're right!  My apologies clearly you know what I think and you are certainly right that no-ones view but your own are correct.  Really, its a wonder why anyone would think you were mispalced with your arrogance.
Relax.

Most of Maiden's repetative chorus's work really well. The only real over the top one is The Angel and The Gambler, but I think Steve was just mucking around when he wrote that, I mean it doesn't even have a guitar solo. The funny thing is, it's still an ok track.

Jeffmetal said:
TAATG has 2 guitar solos and loads of licks in the end by Davey.

Sorry I posted this in the wrong thread but anyways.
What version are you listening to Man? TAATG has no guitar solos.

I found a 10 year old interview from Roy Z that sums what is wrong with Maiden in the 2000s.

http://www.royzmusic.com/2000/02/roy-z- ... -well.html

If you got the chance to produce it what would you be focusing on? That you feel have been lacking on the latest albums?

Well without saying anything I think the songs are too long. The arrangements needs to be looked at. They try to have too many epics on one album, every song has to be like a grandiose movie. I think its more effective if you have maybe two on the album instead of maybe six. I did like parts of the last album but I like early Maiden. I like two or three albums with Bruce and the first two are incredible. I like more of the punkier stuff. Its heavy but it has got speed, it's fast and the songs are short.

When I grew up I always liked the long songs like Rime of the Ancient Mariner, To tame a land or Hallowed be thy name. But when they started to make albums that were more or less all in that vein I felt that something was not right. Songs were not epics but just too long, too repetitive.

If I got to work with Maiden I wouldn't change anything, except I would just look at the arrangements and try out different sounds for the guitars. I wouldn't change the drum sound or the bass sound I wouldn't change Bruce but I would update the guitar sound. I would have used those three guitars. I would have turned them into an orchestra.

10 years later and it's still true.

I think what we saw with Motorhead or Judas Priest in the 90s and 2000s that they looked around what's happening and updated their sound, without losing their essence.
Then you have people like Malmsteen that always do the same thing and don't realize what's going on on the outside world.

Maiden's albums since the reunion are like classic Maiden meets 70s Prog, ignoring what's going on around them.
I think every album they did since the reunion is great on it's own, but too close to the others.

Forostar said:
Nothing wrong with black and white movies.
:ok: Psycho may be the best movie ever made.

AMOLAD is probably my favourite album, but allow me to qualify that statement. I enjoy every song on the record (some more than others obviously) but none of them are as good as Isle of Avalon IMO. So, my point is this AMOLAD is Maiden's most consistent album, it never dips for me. I like Jeff's black and white description because even though he means it as a negative  understand what he means, I just happen to like it :) The other records have dips for me albeit it slight ones. The very songs that others seem to enjoy a great deal are songs that I tend to skip (mostly on DOD) but ultimately it doesn't matter. These last four albums have been a joy to listen to.

If you got the chance to produce it what would you be focusing on? That you feel have been lacking on the latest albums?

Well without saying anything I think the songs are too long. The arrangements needs to be looked at. They try to have too many epics on one album, every song has to be like a grandiose movie. I think its more effective if you have maybe two on the album instead of maybe six. I did like parts of the last album but I like early Maiden. I like two or three albums with Bruce and the first two are incredible. I like more of the punkier stuff. Its heavy but it has got speed, it's fast and the songs are short.

When I grew up I always liked the long songs like Rime of the Ancient Mariner, To tame a land or Hallowed be thy name. But when they started to make albums that were more or less all in that vein I felt that something was not right. Songs were not epics but just too long, too repetitive.

If I got to work with Maiden I wouldn't change anything, except I would just look at the arrangements and try out different sounds for the guitars. I wouldn't change the drum sound or the bass sound I wouldn't change Bruce but I would update the guitar sound. I would have used those three guitars. I would have turned them into an orchestra.

Maiden's albums since the reunion are like classic Maiden meets 70s Prog, ignoring what's going on around them.
I think every album they did since the reunion is great on it's own, but too close to the others.

I completely agree, except that on SIT and SSOASS Maiden was still on the top of the world as it seems Roy Z started to find something was wrong at that point, already.

BruceZ said:

If you're saying Brave New World, Dance of Death, AMOLAD, and The Final Frontier are too similar to each other, I have to disagree completely.  I feel Maiden has evolved and grown with each record they've released since 2000, every one of them bringing something new to the table. 

And I'm totally thankful that Maiden does not check which way the wind is blowing before recording new material.  Relevant music tends to become outdated; in contrast, I think we'll find this reunion material will have quite a long shelf life.

Back