Are you pleased with Maiden's direction?

Sure, man. I have no intention to make enemies, anywhere, virtually or in real world. It's just that I speak my mind instantly about things. Maybe I do it because I'm pretty much a man of my own making, but it's good to know there's a co-existing experience, not just an existing one. :) :ok:

Jeffmetal said:
That's kinda contradictory from you as AMOLAD is worse than VXI and neither Bruce could save that uninspired record with some of the most crap chorus ever written by the band, plus they're overkiller with those endless repetitions. VXI has a lot to do with BNW specially because DOM, The Mercenary, BB and The Nomad (apart from the Beckett rip off/tribute) are leftovers from those sessions. VXI repetition is less dense and forcefed and it only happens to the point of bothering on TAATG (which is still a lot better than FTGGOG) and TEF (which is a brilliant song, anyway).
AMOLAD is almost as good as their eighties albums.

chaosapiant said:
Holy crap, my wife would be apalled!  That's her favorite album.  But no worries, to each their own.  I think DOD is my least favorite of the reunion albums, but still a really strong album for me.

I agree with your wife. I like all songs except Wildest Dreams and the title track (which has lyrics that don't seem to fit in very well). My favourites are Paschendale, Montsegur and New Frontier. My favourite album since the 80's.

Jonszat said:
Far away from the land of our birth,
We fly a flag in some foreign earth,
We sail away like our Fathers before,
These colours don't run from cold bloody war!

I don't see the repetition? And that chorus is awesome anyway, so it makes it even less of a problem.

You're right. I think I put it wrong. I find the chorus a bit long when it's repeated, at the end. I actually have more problems with The Longest Day chorus.

Jeff, I can imagine that some people did not like what you said but since you got so trashed for what you said, I'd like to support you a bit (and give some advice from someone who experienced the same).

Jeffmetal said:
Also, everyone knows that generally these kind of complaints comes from there.

Statistically you're probably right. If we would count the people on this forum, most people who behave like this, come from there. The problem is, that other people who come from there don't like to see it mentioned. So we better not mention it too often.

It's like *Don't mention the war!*

Let's not be bothered about it and try to take account with the Americans who don't want to be associated with ignorance. The release of this new album actually brought a lot of new nice intelligent and open minded people from the USA, and I'm grateful for that.

Wow, LC. Plain Wow.

Foro, as much as I appreciate your musical taste (hint: Talescape :)), I am sharing an almost completely different opinion than yours on DOD. I think its thanks to the fact I am not a native English speaker and sometimes my judgment over lyrics being weird, silly, out of place or plain dumb is not functioning as good as a native speaker's. Moreover, I was always more of the indulge-myself-in-the-music kind of person than lyrics-inspecting kind of person. But don't get me wrong, I do find lyrics very interesting - They are just seconds for me. I dig the music, then I dig the lyrics.

That's first thing. Secondly - and with that said - I agree with you solemnly about everything you said about songs being repetitive. It's there on VXI up to AMOLAD. But that thing has been discussed to dust already. I don't think nobody likes it - not me anyway.

Okay now to the music. VXI - On some songs Blaze hits the spot and really delivers the music. It's like these songs were written especially for him - Futureal, The Clansman and CEA. These songs are plain AWESOME. These are the top 3 of the album to my taste. But that's it really. Blaze fails to amaze me on LST which is boring, WTWC is terrible, what was Steve thinking putting that on album? TAATG could've been a great song minus the neverending chorus. That is as far as the album goes really and it's no wonder it's not popular regardless of fanboys dissing Blaze all day long.

After what Jeff and chaosapiant said, I am starting to see how BNW is related to VXI musically. GOTN and DOM stand out in this relation. Now let's focus on BNW - Plenty of epic atmosphere! Even the rockers have an epic scale to them. Amazing songwriting (minus DOM which is boring me), with the connections between the tracks which are fantastic. Unbelievable energies in the music! Nicko's part of this of course - you can really feel him in there after TXF and VXI where he was practically sleeping. One final word about this album: It's coherent! A big difference from VXI.

I wasn't aware of that The Nomad Becket rip-off, what song did they plagiarize?

Now to DOD. My favorite song of this album are Dance of Death. Paschendale comes second, but not the other way around. Blasphemy you say. Okay, so yes it has funny lyrics but it actually brings tears to my eyes. This song has one of the best melodies ever written by Maiden (the fast one right when it starts to pick up) which is so out of this world! So fitting to the song setting...
About the rest of the album - If we ignore the lyrics on some of the songs, (in some cases, it's just too much or sometimes the lyrics don't fit the music (or you could say vice-versa), the album has some very strong music and very strong collaborations, which only lose credit because of repetition. If you look beyond that, it's a magnificent album which has it's own moments. Also, New Frontier is a fun song. Yes! I like it! So what!

But I see what you actually mean Foro. It's a lot, or should I say too much to ignore to feel the strong parts of DOD. Good for me I'm not too picky about my Iron Maiden :)

I'm still not sure if TFF is better than AMOLAD.For the time being I think AMOLAD is better but it's too early to take such a decision.
I just wish some - at least one- of the longer songs were as heavy as BTATS or FTGGOG.Long songs on TFF are most of the time too calm - almost sound like ballads.
I wish these songs had a bit more of heaviness.

pilau said:
Read: better than their eighties albums.

I don't want to say better, but definitely just as good.  Sometimes I don't want to contemplate anything, and just want to rock out.  Early albums give me that alongside a healthy dose of intelligence.  And sometimes I want to "immerse" myself in their music, and their later albums are a bit better in that for me. 

If VXI had the production and sound of TFF it would have been a near classic album. Alas the sound on VXI is very two dimensional and I just don't believe Nico is drumming. There are some great songs on it.

Now to answer the post topic...I love Maidens direction. As a lover of prog I have always enjoyed their lengthy numbers and I like the new heaviness of Maiden...its not so much in TFF but I feel that AMOLAD and TXF are their two heaviest releases - although the production of TXF seems to have completed removed any trace of Daves and Janicks distortion pedals.

I much prefer the proggier and heavier Maiden of the last 14 years than the rocker Maiden of the first 5 albums...a maiden release of 8 epics is worth an album of a thousand rockers, IMO of course. 

Until last week AMOLAD was my fave Maiden alongside SIT. TFF now completes my holy Maiden triumvirate. 

pilau said:
Well I was actually being sarcastic ;)

Sarcasm never carries in text form without a bit more obvious indicators. What you read in your words, someone else might not and vice versa. I always wonder why people expect others to "get" sarcasm like that - the whole point of sarcasm is the facial expression or delivery of the sarcasm, i.e. how you say it like exaggerating words and so on. Text on the internet carries none of this - so the words seem literal.

LOOSE Cannon..thanks for swatting that disease ridden housefly.
    One more  thing, troll, if you're not squashed  against the bathroom wall with your inner stupidity oozing out of your otherwise empty skull; It's cool to like the GAGA LADY or whatever, if people have been pointing that out to you, come out of the closet and embrace it.  You won't find us real music fans on your GAGA lady sight putting you or your horrendous taste down.
    If that is more YOUR style, more power to you!!  We are good over here enjoying the Final Frontier, one of the finest collection of Heavy Metal  songs ever released!!  UP THE IRONS 'BONGER'!!

I'd say that the direction the band has taken is really impressive. Still trying to add some new touches to their music, despite having a very long and successful career. Brave New World was really it, but a little foreshadow for the things to come, and although Dance of Death seemed a little awkward at times, A Matter Of was definately one of the highlights of Maiden's career. I was really blown away when I listened to it and never thought that they could top it with the newest record. And yet, it happened. I guess that it's the final step with their proggy records though, the second half of TFF is the peak of their skills. Now I think that the logical next step would be a sort of return to faster and simpler songs, which Harris & Co. can still create with great effects, as shown by The Alchemist.

Back