Anybody up for a forum collaboration?

Why exactly do you want to get an identical sound? No offense, but we already have an album with Wild Wind and that guitar sound. Why sound like Maiden instead of yourself?

Why exactly do you want to get an identical sound? No offense, but we already have an album with Wild Wind and that guitar sound. Why sound like Maiden instead of yourself?

Yeah, we shouldn't try to imitate everything. I just said I'm skeptical of getting such a sound out of DI processing. But I'm by no means an expert on the topic :)

Yeah, we shouldn't try to imitate everything. I just said I'm skeptical of getting such a sound out of DI processing. But I'm by no means an expert on the topic :)
I read it as if you explicitly wanted to copy that guitar sound. :D

The DI aspect in itself is a non issue. Hardware amp processing has exploded, with the Axe FX and Kemper (I favor the Kemper, obviously) at the helm. Axe FX is component modelling, while Kemper is most comparable to impulses, which in essence takes a snapshot of a miked amp - If you tweak it carefully during the snapshot/modelling you end up with an impulse that's almost indistinguishable from the original. Accept's Stalingrad record is done on a Kemper, and one track from Testament's latest is also a Kemper snapshot of the recording rig. But it's work too to get it to sound just like one specific record, just as well as if you had the same gear and mic. Would still take tweaking and placement and whatnot.

Never tried a match EQ plugin, but that could help if one actually wanted to copy a sound too (some use it while modelling as well, if they're actively trying to copy a sound).

I haven't gotten to use my toy on much other than my own crippled guitar playing though, which is why I'm rather stoked to put it to use.

Last edited:
So far we've got in terms of musicians:

Most: Guitar
Mr Knickerbocker: Guitar (and can also do vocals)
Zare: Guitar
SMX: Drums
Bass (SMX?).

There are already plenty of guitars, but Saap might fit in there somewhere, guys?

So far we've got in terms of musicians:

Most: Guitar
Mr Knickerbocker: Guitar (and can also do vocals)
Zare: Guitar
SMX: Drums
Bass (SMX?).

There are already plenty of guitars, but Saap might fit in there somewhere, guys?

I'll take vocals, unless we're doing an instrumental or incredibly high Bruce covers, then I'll sound like a squeaky pre-teen.

Check with @Detective Beauregard about bass if SMX isn't interested.

Back