Anybody up for a forum collaboration?

I think an instrumental would be best, unless someone volunteers to do vocals. I vote Losfer Words.

Or, a different song? Why Alexander?
Alexander would be fun, plus I'd like to make the production as polished and good sounding as I can, which is what enjoyment I'll get out of it foremost, aside from the fun of a collab, (and a chance to use my beloved Kemper Profiler on something else than my shitty guitar playing). In lack of Overheads and/or multichannel recording into a DAW, programming is the safest bet in that department. (My route is really doing mix after mix until I'm happy. This one turned out pretty decent from where I'm sitting. I have a dodgy bass response at home though, which is really fuckin annoying: https://www.dropbox.com/s/edjohuere5ctdq4/I don't wanna know.wav?dl=0)

Losfer Words would be cool too.

Edit: Actually, it's Maiden's best instrumental.

In lack of Overheads and/or multichannel recording into a DAW, programming is the safest bet in that department.

Well fuck you too Yax.

I'm terribly fucking sorry that due to missing one microphone, my equipment doesn't match your precious fucking standards. I deeply apologize for not knowing how to record with my own setup, which you apparently assume. I have no idea why you start a "collaboration" thread if you're going to decide by yourself that my contribution can't possibly any good. Have fun with your fucking computer.

Well fuck you too Yax.

I'm terribly fucking sorry that due to missing one microphone, my equipment doesn't match your precious fucking standards. I deeply apologize for not knowing how to record with my own setup, which you apparently assume. I have no idea why you start a "collaboration" thread if you're going to decide by yourself that my contribution can't possibly any good. Have fun with your fucking computer.
I am sorry. It was not my intention. I sincerely apologize. I did not say that though, but I can see how one easily could interpret it that way. I'm sorry.

Thank you. For your information, those mics go into a Korg D888, and you get the same raw digital files as any DAW. My experience shows that my current setup gives you the same data as if you simply had overheads instead of tom mics. The same sound is picked up, just under the cymbal instead of over. I also have plenty of mic stands and can thus position the mics elsewhere, of course.

Regarding the song choice: I am not good with triple meter* nor solos, thus all Maiden instrumentals are out. Duple meter and something slower than 160bpm, and I can drum it.

Regarding the performance: I am not a trained monkey. I will keep the spirit of whatever song we do, but I'm not learning Nicko's fills note for note. Nor can I match his right foot speed, so I will likely simplify the drums. And as a musician, if I feel I have a good idea to insert, I will do so, without blind obedience to the original. Naturally, any significant new ideas to be discussed here first.

* Again, look at that Infinite Dreams vid, especially the fast triple meter section in the middle. Losfer Words? Losfer drums. :confused:

Reactions: Yax
Can do guitar parts if spot is still open, I have digital uplink from G-Major to DAW so clean line recording is not a problem.

I can work with that. I want to add though that I'm not talking out of my ass, and drum sound is to me, more important than vocal, bass and sometimes even guitar sound, so I am a bit touchy, can't help it - I'm a sound nerd, always trying to improve. I have tried an approach similar to what you're doing now as an experiment to hear for myself how a dynamic mic would react to cymbals rather than just imagining- You get less top end, by the nature of the dynamic's mic design. I didn't mean to slam you and I think we can make it work satisfactory for whatever standards I might have, or how one should put it (as I said, I'm a nerd), especially since you get a multi track recording out of it. So hope there's no animosity, I'm just looking out for my passion: Sound. We can talk specifics later on how to do it.:)

Mr Knickerbocker's also interested but highlighted limited recording capabilities - But if he can muster a clean signal too then there's no issue whatsoever, and if not then maybe we can work around it too. If nothing else, I'm sure we can do a three guitar approach.

SMX, do you take bass duties as well?

Edit: I would suggest songs where Bruce's isolated track is available. Hallowed, Wasted Years, NOTB, 2 Minutes, The Trooper, The Clarirvoyant, The Evil That Men Do are examples.

Last edited:
If we have 3 guitars, lets do a reunion era song. I also think we should consider alternatives to using Bruce's vocal tracks. We could play the vocal melody on a different instrument, or rearrange the song as a sort of instrumental. Like SMX, I like to insert a bit of musicality into what I do and I'm not a fan of simply replicating an existing tune. So the vocal parts might be a good vehicle to do something creative.

Starblind would be awesome. I was thinking something that highlights all three guitarists so we can capture that ourselves, like Wild Wind for example.

Wild Wind would be great to play with, but how much of that nice, natural bluesy sound can we achieve?

Here's another idea I had: What if we did an instrumental medley? We could each choose some of our favorite Maiden moments and mesh them together somehow.

Wild Wind would be great to play with, but how much of that nice, natural bluesy sound can we achieve?
It'd take some playing around but I'm sure we could nail that tone!

Here's another idea I had: What if we did an instrumental medley? We could each choose some of our favorite Maiden moments and mesh them together somehow.

Was thinking the same thing...
It's actually possible to try out different combintations by merging various songs in MIDI format and having fun with that first.

Yea exactly, I was thinking we could make guitar pro files of it beforehand.

Well Mosh, if you have access to real studio, then sure. I can imitate something akin to that on my home setup, accent on imitate.

Yea exactly, I was thinking we could make guitar pro files of it beforehand.
Ok,

I'm good with that stuff (MIDI, seqeuencing and so on...), throw some ideas (songs to mix) and I'll work on it.

I'd take main riff of Sea Of Madness for sure.

I'm down for whatever means I'll get to bring out my Kemper for guitar sound.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ultwb0gmmnyk19s/Wild winds.wav?dl=0

I think one can get quite close to the Wild Winds guitars if one should choose to imitate it, but to get it identical that would require a lot of tweaking. That quick sample right there is just a profiled JCM 800 with some reverb, random delay (minor EQ), followed by an AC30 profile with reverb and delay (minor EQ). Think there's some chorus on the original though, and it's definitely Marshall. Similar is no problem, but identical will take work... :p

Last edited:
Back