American and European Metal

GodBeWithYou, I already answered this point on my earlier post. American society tends to strip immigrants of their homeland's histories. And very few Americans (that I have met, anyway) have extensive knowledge of Europe except for between the years 1917-18 and 1941-45.

[!--QuoteBegin-$yk0_H+Mar 26 2004, 08:22 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE($yk0_H @ Mar 26 2004, 08:22 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I don't know why, but I'm getting a strong urge to promote [a href=\'http://www.dreamevil.se/\' target=\'_blank\']Dream Evil[/a]  [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
I picked up this band's album purely on a whim- because of the name. They are pretty good and have fantasy themes. I really liked them too.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Mar 27 2004, 11:00 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Mar 27 2004, 11:00 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] ...very few Americans (that I have met, anyway) have extensive knowledge of Europe except for between the years 1917-18 and 1941-45. [/quote]
That's true. But the history is still there. It's just people don't take the time to learn it. American metal could be fantasy-themed, but most of it (With a few exceptions) is not, due to the fact that most Americans don't know that part of their people's history.

[!--QuoteBegin-GodBeWithYou+Mar 28 2004, 08:19 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(GodBeWithYou @ Mar 28 2004, 08:19 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] That's true. But the history is still there. It's just people don't take the time to learn it. American metal could be fantasy-themed, but most of it (With a few exceptions) is not, due to the fact that most Americans don't know that part of their people's history. [/quote]
Now I feel an urge to promote Shaman. They are a Brazilian Metal band formed by former members of Angra (some of the best metal ever). Their first cd as Shaman is called ritual and the entire lyrical content is fantasy. They write specifically about Incan and Mayan cultures and omens and so and so forth. If U.S bands were to be fantasy based they would have to write about native american religion and tradition. It is VERY feesable.

If people forget their history, it dies. And he who forgets the lessons of the past is doomed to repeat the mistakes of his ancestors.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Mar 28 2004, 10:48 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Mar 28 2004, 10:48 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] If people forget their history, it dies.  And he who forgets the lessons of the past is doomed to repeat the mistakes of his ancestors. [/quote]
What do you think has been happening for the past 5,000 years or so? [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Mar 28 2004, 09:59 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Mar 28 2004, 09:59 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] What do you think has been happening for the past 5,000 years or so?  [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
Uh Uh! I know! people forgeting their history and repeating the mistakes of their ancestors?

I've been away for a few days. Altough, I'm not going to reply right now to the great comments, I have a gift for .... well seven of you. I just received a lot of metal/enamel IM Donington pins/ badges. Onhell and Loose Cannon get first dibs. The other five go to the first five to message me. I have to go to the post office tomorrow, so the quicker the better.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[!--QuoteBegin-maiden_detroit+Mar 29 2004, 10:13 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(maiden_detroit @ Mar 29 2004, 10:13 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I've been away for a few days. Altough, I'm not going to reply right now to the great comments, I have a gift for .... well seven of you. I just received a lot of metal/enamel IM Donington pins/ badges. Onhell and Loose Cannon get first dibs. The other five go to the first five to message me. I have to go to the post office tomorrow, so the quicker the better. [/quote]
Shouldn't this post be in the trade forum? [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

If it was, then I'd never have seen it, Mav. And quite frankly, I want the damn pin!

The diffrence is, most European metal bands are good whilst....

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Mar 30 2004, 01:51 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Mar 30 2004, 01:51 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] And quite frankly, I want the damn pin! [/quote]
Topic pinned. [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Americans and Europeans can now rip bits out of each other in a pinned topic (although I'd like to see some sensible and argumented discussion here...) [!--emo&:angel:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrinangelA.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrinangelA.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

And the Canadian will sit back and monitor the thread. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

And the citizen of Planet Earth will wait for the Canadian to join the chatroom [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

God ! What a big thread ! I hope that my english make it enough for what I want to say. If I don´t get clear please let me know

My humble opinion is that : Metal and rock and roll started as the same thing. It was just to have fun and make some noise. Then some bands started to get closer to a more artistic sound. They didn´t want to just make some noise, but to make people listen and understand them. They wanted to transmit a message. And it grew from there to what we are now. There were lots of "let´s make some noise" bands, the "sex, drugs and rock and roll" was the way they wanted to live and sound. And that´s when rock was split into hard rock, heavy metal, and later thrash metal and all that categories.

As for the Heavy Metal, the need to transmit a message was the most important thing. It doesn´t matter if its a political, fantastic, historical or any other theme. But there must BE A THEME AND IT MUST BE TRANSMITED.

And here we came to the differences between american themes and european themes...

First, I would like to refeer to the americans as NORTH-AMERICANS. I live in Brazil, which is SOUTH AMERICA AND ITS DIFFERENT FROM THE REST. People tend to think that america is a whole, but its divided into north, central and south america (I´m not saying that YOU GUYS tend to think that way).

So in general. In a VERY GENERIC WAY...

The North American bands (special the bands from today) are more fond on social questions. They say "look this world is crap"

The European bands are more fond on historical and fantasy themes. This doesn´t mean that the are outside the reallity. They tell a history and make you think, they make YOU REALIZE that this world is crap.

So, north american bands are raw, the say it with all the letters, they say the naked truth with bleeding lyrics. I think this is very good.

European bands makes you think. You have to see the whole process of the songs and then you must make your own conclusions. And this is good too !

AGAIN, I SAY THIS A VERY GENERIC WAY !!!

I prefer the european bands because FOR ME they sound more artistical. The north american bands are also good, but, FOR ME AGAIN, they are to simple. Its to easy to say your life is crap. Realizing it and seeing in which ways you could make it diferrent is more enjoyable.

AS FOR MAIDEN, WHICH I THINK WAS ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS OF THE THREAD.

I agree with Onhell, Maiden can be "european way" and "north-american way" without loosing the artistical sense. Just see Paschendale (european way) and Age of Innocence (north american way).

Again, this is my humble opinion. You may disagree and dislike it but dont "bitch" me...

Sorry to interrupt, but I think 'Age Of Innocence' is about the British legal system (even if it applies to other countries too)... That makes it Steve's go at his own country's judicial system.

But yes, it can be applied to any industrial country too.

And thanks MigDaimon for a very nice post [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

MigDaimon, you claim you're english is not very proficient but you understood the thread perfectly. You make another great point that I was talking about North American (U.S) and Europe. South America's bands (which are great) like Argentina's Rata Blanca, Brazil's Angra (Now Shaman) and the rest are actually very European in Sound and Style. I also agree that it is more CREATIVE to create a fantasy world (like Rhapsody's Enchanted Lands) and have people relate to them, rather than spelling it out.

Back