American and European Metal

Who here thinks the original Keepers line-up of Helloween should reunite?

I'd like to see it done as a one of live show. I'm a bigger fan of Deris-era Helloween, and reuniting that line-up would require Deris to leave. I also don't see it happening. But maybe, just maybe, that line-up will reunite for an album, and release it under a band name like 'Keepers' or something...

Kiske already said he's not going to do it. I don't know if you read the article that someone posted on the Helloween thread, but he is 100% against the idea. he felt wronged by the band when they kicked him out and using him as a scapegoat for the direction that they went on after the Keeper albums. He said it is a current campaign that the current band is on and he doesn't understand why. He doesn't understand why people are obssessed with two albums with him on it when Deris has been with the band over 20 years. Reminded me of the hate Janick has gotten on Maiden, when he two has been with them for a while.

I didn't know there was much hate for Janick. Huh.

Kai Hansen seems to be very friendly with the current Helloween. I have a feeling he isn't too opposed to the idea. Maybe, just maybe, he'll end up getting Kiske to do the reunion with him. It would be cool if Kai rejoined the current Helloween, and we could have a guitar trio like Maiden!

I'm curious why Deris really wants to do the reunion. What would his part be in the whole thing? Whether it was a new album or a reunion tour, what role would he play? Possibly a songwriter? Maybe what he wants to do is have a new Keepers album with both him AND Kiske doing the vocals. Cuz I can't see him just leaving so Kiske can rejoin. I wonder what his idea is. Either way though, it'll never happen.

I didn't know there was much hate for Janick. Huh.

Yeah, I think there still is

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1034692

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f14/should-janick-gers-be-in-iron-maiden-97330.html

And Michi has as far as I know caught a lot of flak for Pink Bubbles and Chameleon and their "poppy" approach.
Silly, because on Keepers Kiske's contribution are quite inoffensive (A Little Time, You Always Walk Alone, We Got the Right) and it's actually Weikath who infuses the bubblegum feeling in the group (Dr. Stein? Rise and Fall? A Tale That Wasn't Right?), so I don't think Kiske's really to blame.

I don't pine for the "Keepers" lineup myself. I like the albums as they are, there are wonderful compositions within and the band works splendidly. But I have never been a great fan of Kiske in the first place, as he is a bit obnoxious (his wailing on "Keeper of the Seven Keys" - the song - gets on my nerves every time, to name an example) and to me much better lineup would be the original one - with Kai as a singer. In fact, the combination of singer/guitarist Kai and Grosskopf on base are the thing that makes Walls of Jericho so amazing.

So - as NotePad has proposed above - let's combine Kai and Helloween and let's create another guitar trio!

I'm very late to the party, and I'm not sure what has been said in this discussion besides Onhell's 10 year old post.

Living in Sweden however, no-one alive has known war. Sure, there was WWII and the Cold War, but Sweden itself hasn't been at war since 1814. Current political issues in Sweden are rising nationalism, high immigration and poor integration causing mistrust against immigrants, education system struggling with falling results and privatisation of schools, healthcare, farmacies leading to poorer service due to being ruled by profits that are then moved out of the country etc. Can't really say that this shows in the music, especially not metal which isn't usually political in the slightest.

But my point is that living in misery isn't the reason for Swedish metal being escapist in nature (a point I do agree with). We're one of the most privilegied countries in the world, based on economics (what financial crisis are you talking about? when? we didn't notice), healthcare, education (you are even paid to study at university level) and equality among many other areas.

On the point of American vs European metal, I tend to be extremely euro-centric when it comes to my music taste. The music I listen to tends to be Swedish, British, German or Finnish, and that's it. I actually can't name one American band that I know the whole discography of. I don't know why that is.

Wow, thank you for that. Indeed Sweden (Scandinavia in general) is very stable and privileged financially, but they worked very hard to do that. We all gripe according to our situation. I love making fun of people here (in the U.S) when they complain about the drive-thru line at Starbucks is taking too long, or the girl at the window got their order wrong. When their smartphones don't load something within seconds or the water in the water fountain tastes, "funny." My response is usually, "oh good lord, first world problems, yo," and continue to point out that I'm sure the boy-soldier in Congo or the child factory worker in Malaysia can totally relate to their issue. But when it comes to the quality of healthcare or education, I think there is nothing wrong with wanting better regardless of how well it already functions.

Bringing all this back to the original thesis, a lot of metal has come out of political/social complacency. Rage Against the Machine is a great example. While not Metal, Bad Religion has extensive material dealing with social/political issues (on of my favorites is I love my Computer). So even in a comfortable society There will always be the prophets to speak of the error of their ways, however true, dramatic, or uncalled for that is.

European metal is: Power Metal (Speed metal, or "melodic speed metal), bands like Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Helloween, etc. And also traditional metal like Maiden and Priest can be called European metal

American metal: Nu metal, Thrash, Speed, and wannabe Thrash metal bands like Iced Earth and Nevermore that for some reason people like to call Power Metal. ( BTW I love Nevermore, Iced Earth on the other hand is repetitive)

But that's just me.

https://jakubmarian.com/number-of-metal-bands-per-capita-in-europe/

A map showing the “density” of metal bands in European countries. The following map shows the number of entries (which represent both active and inactive metal bands) in Encyclopaedia Metallum, divided by the country’s population in millions.
For comparison: The number for the United States is 72.

metal-bands.jpg

Still a high 'density', but since Iceland has a population of less than a million, that's either the total number of bands to have come out of Iceland, not divided by population, or else they've multiplied the number of bands to estimate the density for a population of 1 million. The US metal bands total must be huge if 72 is number of bands per 1 million people.

The US metal bands total must be huge if 72 is number of bands per 1 million people.

About 25 000 if my secondary school information regarding US population is correct.

Also, the Finland/Sweden density is still insane, if not surprising.

Back