American and European Metal

[!--QuoteBegin-Eddie-the-Killer+Apr 8 2004, 06:20 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Eddie-the-Killer @ Apr 8 2004, 06:20 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] i take it you dont like slayer to [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
Nope

Reading this stuf is really painful. So much has been written and i have been away... well time to cach up! I tend to listen to 'europe' metal more. I dislike all death and blackmetal, because i just dont like all that doom and destruction. Maybe im a bit of a hippie. About the language barrier, im from finland (incase you dont know), and i would say that 2 languages might be the norm. I dont actually speak/understand english that well, and sometimes its hard to keep up here on this forum, so dont kick in the head if i say something weird. About the beginnings of heavy metal... well i read in some interview that Sabbath was started as a "progressive blues" band. And doesn't blues come from America? I might be veery wrong, and please do correct me if i am. I'm just getting in to metallica. For couple of years i tought they had some pretty good songs, but now that my friends asked me to play Metallica with them in a band and gave me Master of Puppets and ride the lightning, ive been getting into them a bit more. Aside from that the only american band i listen to is Dio. Or is he from America? Im not too familiar with this stuf. And Dio has VERY fantasy based songs.

Sorry if this was a bit of useless post, but i had to post something to such an interesting topic... [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Ronnie James Dio is indeed American. He spent a few years in Black Sabbath though... [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I knew that he was in sabbath... and rainbow for that matter. And the firdt band he was in was called ronnie and the red caps, i belive, and if im correct, it became later the elf... bit of off topic stuf, but am i right about the blues/sabbath thing? And is Dio an american band or european? In every review i have seen the band is stated as american. And if it's producing Dio's solo stuff doesn't that say, as Dio being american, that the band is american, even if it had been formed in moon? [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Hello all, I´ve been absent for a few days (almost 10) because I'm in Mexico visiting family and my dad had a very crappy computer until I got here and basically made him take it to a technician for an update. ANYWAY.... It's good to see you post Indiana, however this wasn't so much about the beginings of heavy metal (europe or U.S) as a whole but more their subject matter and why. But usually Black Sabath and Led Zepplin are credited with being the Fathers of heavy metal. Blues is from the U.S and Rock and Roll is based (or was anyway) on Blues and of course heavy metal evolved from ¨hard rock¨. There is a great thread in this forum about how to define heavy metal... you'll find it very helpful, at least i did.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jul 29 2004, 10:18 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jul 29 2004, 10:18 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Hello all, I´ve been absent for a few days (almost 10) because I'm in Mexico visiting family and my dad had a very crappy computer until I got here and basically made him take it to a technician for an update. ANYWAY.... It's good to see you post Indiana, however this wasn't so much about the beginings of heavy metal (europe or U.S) as a whole but more their subject matter and why. But usually Black Sabath and Led Zepplin are credited with being the Fathers of heavy metal. Blues is from the U.S and Rock and Roll is based (or was anyway) on Blues and of course heavy metal evolved from ¨hard rock¨. There is a great thread in this forum about how to define heavy metal... you'll find it very helpful, at least i did. [/quote]
Jeah. I know it was a bit off topic but i just had to post something. Are there more american bands that play the "european" style or vice versa (is that how you say it, when you mean opposite but like... uhm youll get it [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ). Anyone know such cases? And whats with the kings x, or was it king diamond? I cant seem to find their records anywhere and i really would like to listen to them, if they are so historically remarkable. Or am i now posting on the wrong thread? Did someone actually talk something about this band? [!--emo&:duckie:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/duckie.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'duckie.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

If you want to know ANYTHING about ANY BAND, I suggest you have a look at the following website:
  • [a href=\'http://www.bnrmetal.com/\' target=\'_blank\'][img src=\'http://www.bnrmetal.com/images/bnrlink.gif\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /][/a][/li]
It is the most complete encyclopaedia on Metal on the Net! [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-IndianaJones+Jul 29 2004, 09:57 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IndianaJones @ Jul 29 2004, 09:57 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] And if it's producing Dio's solo stuff doesn't that say, as Dio being american, that the band is american, even if it had been formed in moon? [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] [/quote]
I would say it depends on how much of the songs Dio himself writes. And I always percieved his songs as having a definative "British" feel to it. Don't ask how I determine that, it's just a feeling I get. I would say it seems he's been playing with British bands his whole career, or for a good deal of it, so perhaps he's "crossed the (proverbial) line", so to speak, mmmkay?

Mav, do you know [a href=\'http://www.metal-archives.com\' target=\'_blank\']http://www.metal-archives.com[/a] ?

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jul 30 2004, 01:40 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jul 30 2004, 01:40 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I would say it depends on how much of the songs Dio himself writes.  And I always percieved his songs as having a definative "British" feel to it.  Don't ask how I determine that, it's just a feeling I get.  I would say it seems he's been playing with British bands his whole career, or for a good deal of it, so perhaps he's "crossed the (proverbial) line", so to speak, mmmkay? [/quote]
Well he is credited in every dio song I have heard... or as far as i know. Anyone knows from where are the other members?

This is getting bit off topic stuff. Thanks to Perun and Mav for the sites! [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Jul 30 2004, 02:50 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Jul 30 2004, 02:50 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Mav, do you know [a href=\'http://www.metal-archives.com\' target=\'_blank\']http://www.metal-archives.com[/a] ? [/quote]
Indeed I do. Brilliant site! [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I will take a look at that [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Iron Maiden çok iyi değil mi! [!--emo&:bow:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/bowdown.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'bowdown.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:bow:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/bowdown.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'bowdown.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:bow:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/bowdown.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'bowdown.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Well, anyone heard Kamelot? I understand that its from America. That would be another one. Have i killed the conversation here?

Apart from Dio, Metallica and Kamelot, i havn't heard too much american metal. Well maybe some trash bands (are they all from America?) like Megadeth and Overkill, but there arent that many bands in America In my opinion. Maybe some of those Doom/Death bands but i dont mind for that kind of music. How is it possible that the American (well north American if it matters) movies are most about how great it is to be an American, but metal is totally different? Is the movie industry there trying to be friends with the goverment? I seriously think this is a little bit of weird... [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Or maybe its just that the musicians are from amongst the normal people and movie makers are super rich...?

I would have to say that Maiden is from Europe so European metal is the best, because MAIDEN IS THE BEST and NONE OTHER WILL DO!!!! Bluntly speaking. Americans can run for the hills.....for all I care!!!! I am not to fond of the american blokes. I know they are my neighbors, but there is too much
ignorance in that country and Canada better watch it because they are
somewhat following the same American way. [!--emo&:cussing:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cussing[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cussing[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[attachment deleted by admin]

You know, blanket statements really aren't a good idea there, MaidenCanada. Sure, Maiden's the best, but there's lots of other great bands out there. I listen to four, five artists from the USA regularly (in that I have more than one or two songs by them on the comp, and CDs in the stash).

OK.this might have been posted before,but still i'll post it.It's my oppinion and i want to make it heard.The starter of the topic(sory,mate,don't remember your name [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ) was really inspired to post that.Before i read this i didn't think much about this kind of things.

But now i have my own oppinion.

The reason (or maybe one of them) why european metal is fantasy based is because Europe(god bless it) hosts a multitude of cultures. And today,european rockers,take this folkloric roots,as their own(as they should) and exploit them,and bind them with the best music artsits ever could offer us:rock.This is avalable here in Romania,as the greates romanian band ever to have lived have based their entire career on bindimg and reviving the romanian archaic spirit.And the musci they created is one of the best.The band is called phoenix.Some of you might have heard about them

LEt's go to America now.What folklore is there to exploit? Urban legends?
Well,there are the native americans,but an indian rocker is something i still have to see

That's about it.Cheers.people [!--emo&:chug:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/beerchug.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'beerchug.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-IndianaJones+Jul 31 2004, 04:09 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IndianaJones @ Jul 31 2004, 04:09 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] How is it possible that the American (well north American if it matters) movies are most about how great it is to be an American, but metal is totally different? Is the movie industry there trying to be friends with the goverment? I seriously think this is a little bit of weird... [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Or maybe its just that the musicians are from amongst the normal people and movie makers are super rich...?[/quote]
Well, its well known that the media is controlled by the government. If it wasnt, we would here alot different things than we do now. They have to try to preserve the idea that America is the greatest country on earth, and is second to no one. The news controls us with fear, while the movie industry seems to do it with false hope and cheerfulness(not that cheerfulness is bad). The music industry however(at least metal) is unafraid of the government, and tells it how they see it, which is mostly negative. They want to show society how fucked up our government is, and how arrogant our country can be, etc. Hopefully i answered your question dude.

What the fuck!!!! Blanket Statements????? I am not the only one in the world that only thinks this way. Only the people that are not American will agree with me!!!!

Like my house???? I just inherited it!!!! Fuck I hope it's haunted!!!!! [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back