American and European Metal

[!--quoteo(post=135146:date=Apr 19 2006, 02:05 AM:name=Onhell)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Apr 19 2006, 02:05 AM) [snapback]135146[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The labeling of American metal as "low" and European as "high" or "classical". While I tend to agree, I don't do it because it is subjective.
[/quote]

I didn't mean to say it like that-what I was trying to say is that (and this is a generalisation, with quite a few exceptions), American metal tends to be more straightforward and easier to digest, while European metal often takes a little bit longer to set in and get used to. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to your personal tastes, but I personally prefer music that takes a little while to set in, and so I prefer European bands (home of power and melodeth....and Maiden). Now don't get me wrong, I do love American metal, as I stated in the post, but when looking at the scenes I always think of European metal as being more varied, perhaps because I am looking at the scenes and thinking what bands I like are present there. Thinking of Europe, I call to mind bands as different as Judas Priest, Dark Tranquillity and Nightwish, whereas my American bands are mostly Thrash, with Iced Earth and Dream Theater being the exceptions (for now). But when my metal collection has grown, I may well re-evaluate my attitudes and opinions.

[!--quoteo(post=59737:date=Apr 1 2004, 09:45 AM:name=tabor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(tabor @ Apr 1 2004, 09:45 AM) [snapback]59737[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

sorry guys im Australian what can i say our music Industry sucks the bands are ok but they are all Slayer and Metallica wanna be's and the Canadians well listen to groups like Nickleback enough to make you not listen at all....

Cheers
[/quote]

Our Australian metal bands are pretty good, Alot of good power metal and some good extreme metal comes from downunder...But yeah, Our music industry is really pathetic, It's always been to interested on immitating the American scene.

As for our metal style,I think We're kind of in the middle, We're half European and half American?

On to the topic at hand...

One thing I think you have to take in account, Is that even though Europe is one continent, There's quite a few cultures to pick from...A Nordic band might sing about Odin?, A Greek band might sing about Zeus?..Of course, That is generalising that all European metal bands sing about ancient mythology? and of course aggressive political bands can also be found in Europe!, But having that variation between the nations gives European metal a unique flavour......I think?

North America on the other hand is one culture, One Nation, So creating unique variations is alot harder....Of course there's those who set out to be different?, But generally being too different is shuned by the singluar culture, So the bands try to conform to a set standard, Which happens to be Angst-Ridden Aggressive Political Metal.

I may be wrong (it's been known to happen ^_^) but when I first got into metal in the early 80s, American bands were more commercial and mainstream (metal wise) i.e they sounded quite similar to each other. The European scene was much more diverse and you had some really great British, German and Swiss bands that all had their own particular sound and/or style. I mean, compare Priest to Saxon and Maiden and you'll get three very different bands that were big during the same years in the mid-80s.

I think it was a bit similar with the British punk wave during the 70s. The early punk bands en Britain was anti-establishment and often political in some sense; the American bands that followed a few years later only seemed to "ride the wave". I don't mean that American music is uninventional or anything like that, but when these music styles grew big in the 70s and 80s, Europe was first and better. Except, of course, Metallica (but their drummer is Danish - European ;) ^_^ )

As I said, I may very well be wrong here, but that's how I viewed it then and still do. When the Americans had had a few years things changed, but at the start it was a kind of "riding the wave" as I said earlier.

(Btw, is this mainly an American or European forum? :eek: :uhm: :innocent: )
Onhell said:
The Italian Girl Speaks Italian (duh), English and is currently taking Spanish (of her own free will) and told me that in ELEMENTARY school and basically all throughout until highschool they have the OPTION to take a history of religion class IN PUBLIC SCHOOL. Something I feel is horribly lacking in the U.S. A classmate of mine who is originally from California told me they offered the same thing at his high school so it is probably a state thing. She also told me that American movies in southern Europe get dubbed (no subtitles like in Latin America) no matter what movie, while in Nothern Europe (Norway, Denmark etc) Movies don't get dubbed or subtitled so Children That grow up watching American cinema speak English very well.

Sorry for the long post but It has been too long since I followed up on my crazy claims. Please let me know, specially the Europeans reading this, if the information given to me by these European ladies is wrong, partially true, or right on the bullseye. Thanks.

Well, as I am Swedish I can vouch for a few things at least, Onhell.
Language training. When I was 10 I started studying English at school. Compulsory (sp?). That was late 70s (1977). Today, the start English at 8 years old. When the kids are 11-12, they choose a 3d language - usually the choices are between German, French and Spanish but the choices differ some between different schools. This continues until at 19 school's are ready (the last three years are voluntary but you'd never get a job without the so...). This means that when a Swedish young adult is 19, they have studied Swedish for 12 years, English for 10-11 years and a 3d language for 7 years. Mainly this is due to Swedish being a very small language and we have to learn some other languages in order to handle the world around us, but still it serves us well. Also, we don't have dubbed tv, we have subtitles which lets us hear the melody in all kinds of languages and that helps in learning it better.

When it comes to music, apart from music lessons in school which differ very much in quality and contents between teachers, we have in Sweden something called Municipal music schools (kommunala musikskolor, for the Swedish speakers). They used to be more or less completely free of charge (maybe you'd have to pay $100-$150 a year) and today they cost maybe another $100 more. It runs parallell to the school year and is completely voluntary to attend, but you can learn to play any instrument you could think of, almost, at a very low cost. You can even rent instruments, since all that have children know that they sometimes tend to "change" their minds ;) Another thing that was great in Sweden in the 80s and 90s (I really don't know how it is today) was that if you formed a band with some friends, you could get money from different places ("study circles") - not a lot, but it could pay for sheet music and some equipment - and you could borrow a place to rehearse in. All you had to do was meet at least once a week for a minimum amount of weeks (can't remember how many) and all this contributed to build the Swedish music industry that we've had the last 15 or so years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Sweden was or is unique in this, are we?
Onhell said:
I do agree that European metal can be cracked down even further, but I'll get to that later. Something I want to ask the Europeans who see this thread is, is there such a thing as language barriers in Europe? The reason I ask is Because N.I.B perceives that there are and I perceive there are none, or it's not that big of an issue. From what I know most Europeans speak at LEAST three languages (some European friends told me 3 is what the town idiot speaks, as a joke of course), that 4 or 5 is the norm. If this is the case language barriers are non-existant or not that big of an issue. Also most European Metal bands that want to make it in the International  Market sing in English.

You have that right, Onhell. Not that the norm may be 4-5 languages, but 2-3 anyway, and English is almost always one of them. I believe the differences in Eurometal is more one of cultural/social background because that's where we differ the most.

Anomica said:
You have that right, Onhell. Not that the norm may be 4-5 languages, but 2-3 anyway, and English is almost always one of them. I believe the differences in Eurometal is more one of cultural/social background because that's where we differ the most.
The only buggers who don't speak more than one language in Europe is us Brits. Two things hold us back - just about everyone in Europe speaks English and (it's been a while since I was at school, but I don't think it has changed much since then) learning a different language is only an option.

Albie said:
learning a different language is only an option.
FOr Silky and I, learning a secondary language was mandatory up untill the end of our 5th year (age 16 ;))
By "secondary" language, I do not necessarily mean foreign because Irish is an option.

Thanks for the post Anomica! not only did it revive this topic (very dear to me), but clarified quite a lot. Personally I feel I can add much more as I've pretty much said it all in the last four pages, but it's great to see new members be able to contribute!

Conor said:
FOr Silky and I, learning a secondary language was mandatory up untill the end of our 5th year (age 16 ;))
By "secondary" language, I do not necessarily mean foreign because Irish is an option.

Hey, you're on your own up near the border, Conor.  I go to a methodist school, so the language of the 'enemy' is outlawed ;)

I learnt French up to 5th year, as well as Latin and Greek for 2 years (2nd and 3rd years, but I've forgotten most of it).  In my recent trip to the south of France, I found what little French I had learnt seriously helped me in a region where it is not only polite to attempt to communicate in the native 'lingo', but in fact many working in the tourist sector don't speak english!  On a side note, my Latin education has probably helped me more than any other foreign language I could have chosen, so if any of you have the oppurtunity to learn it, do so! :ok:

Anomica, that is quite a brilliant post, and like Onhell said, it's great to see someone new to this forum going out of their way to revive old topics as well as you have.  As Albie said, it is us Brits (well, english speakers) who are linguistically challenged, due to the widespread nature of english.  As such, it always impresses me when europeans speak such fluent english, considering that it is not their native tongue.

Silky said:
  As such, it always impresses me when europeans speak such fluent english, considering that it is not their native tongue.

That is what surprises me the most about non-brit European metal! The mastery these guys have over the language is amazing! If only American bands (british bands usually don't have this problem) expressed themselves in a vast and rich vocabulary

Silky said:
Anomica, that is quite a brilliant post, and like Onhell said, it's great to see someone new to this forum going out of their way to revive old topics as well as you have.  As Albie said, it is us Brits (well, english speakers) who are linguistically challenged, due to the widespread nature of english.  As such, it always impresses me when europeans speak such fluent english, considering that it is not their native tongue.

Thanks, Silky. The thing is that I am new here and so haven't had the chance to participate in some discussions which I find really interesting. Luckily for me, this doesn't seem to be the kind of forum where you'll get flamed for posting in old posts  ^_^

The thing you say about Brits is interesting. My brother-in-law is English and tries to learn Swedish desperately to impress his wife (my sister) but everybody keeps talking to him in English so he won't get a chance. Also, there're quite a few British guys in my hometown that have been here for 5-15 years and they say that as soon as someone finds out they're English, they can't practice their Swedish anymore. I guess there's a drawback to learning a second language from so early years - you get proud of your skills and you want to keep them active in order to keep them :-[

Anomica said:
Thanks, Silky. The thing is that I am new here and so haven't had the chance to participate in some discussions which I find really interesting. Luckily for me, this doesn't seem to be the kind of forum where you'll get flamed for posting in old posts  ^_^
Reviving old topics with garbage is rightly scorned upon. Reviving old topics with something people would be interested to read, is a different matter.

Anomica said:
The thing you say about Brits is interesting. My brother-in-law is English and tries to learn Swedish desperately to impress his wife (my sister) but everybody keeps talking to him in English so he won't get a chance. Also, there're quite a few British guys in my hometown that have been here for 5-15 years and they say that as soon as someone finds out they're English, they can't practice their Swedish anymore. I guess there's a drawback to learning a second language from so early years - you get proud of your skills and you want to keep them active in order to keep them :-[
I do remember speaking to a stubborn Greek in Corfu a few years back, that refused to speak Greek to tourists. Reason been that he wanted to practice his English - on Brits. If these Brits in your hometown can stop been polite and speak only in Swedish, surely the Swedes response will be to eventually participate?

This has gone way off-topic, but the laziness of nearly all people with English as their first language, is an interesting subject.

Albie said:
This has gone way off-topic, but the laziness of nearly all people with English as their first language, is an interesting subject.
I wouldn't necessarily call it laziness Albie.  The fact is that most native English speakers don't need to learn a second language.  Is it lazy for a person to walk when they could be running?

I haven't read the whole topic yet, but I have always been very clear about this subject on other forums, so why not here:

These days, American metal bands (with the exception of a few) hardly bring anything interesting after having heard their European colleagues.

Why?

This is what Mikael Åkerfeldt (guitarist/vocalist from Opeth) said:
-------
OPETH Frontman Says 'Manufactured' American Groups Are Like 'Boy Bands With Guitars' - Apr. 25, 2006 

Most of the bands today, I don't really like them. When I grew up it was like heresy to compare KILLSWITCH ENGAGE and whatever you got going with MAIDEN and PRIEST. Especially in America, it seems to be a little trend goin'... it's corporate business. The bands feel manufactured, almost like boy bands with guitars. I don't want my bands to be fucking pretty.
---------

and:
--------
OPETH Frontman Defends His Anti-'Metalcore' Comments - Apr. 26, 2006

OPETH frontman Mikael Åkerfeldt has commented on the negative reaction to the remarks he made to Australia's Time Off magazine about the state of today's metal scene.:

I was saying that I don't see the same quality in them as I do in PRIEST or MAIDEN. Partly because they were innovators and [KILLSWITCH ENGAGE] to me sounds like a rehashed version of what's been going on in Sweden for 16 years or more. Had you lived in Sweden, you'd share my opinion on that I'm pretty sure.

-------------

Probably Opeth won't be welcome anymore at Ozzfest just for being honest, like Bruce  ;-)

Forostar said:
Probably Opeth won't be welcome anymore at Ozzfest just for being honest, like Bruce  ;-)

Pfft...like they need that emo-infested pile of shit.  They're an ever-present force at the European festivals like Wacken, and they're the only Swedish metal band to recieve funding from the government-I think Akerfeldt knows what he's talking about, and he's perfectly right.  It seems that as long as Metal Hammer or Kerrang compare the latest metalcore band to Maiden or Priest, the band's sales will shoot up.  I once heard Mendeed being described as 'Melodic Death metal with enough Maiden solos for anyone'.  They're from Glasgow (I believe).  When their singer switches from shitty hardcore screams to clean vocals, he sings IN A FUCKING AMERICAN ACCENT. Proof positive, if proof be needed, that the metalcore scene is completely stagnant and lacking in creativity.

Silky said:
They're from Glasgow (I believe).  When their singer switches from shitty hardcore screams to clean vocals, he sings IN A FUCKING AMERICAN ACCENT. Proof positive, if proof be needed, that the metalcore scene is completely stagnant and lacking in creativity.

I think they're from Dumbarton to be exact, but the main reason as to why they flaunt their nationality is to have a unique selling point. After all, in such an overcrowded market as metalcore, there has to be something to distinguish one from the other. There's piles of generic metalcore from America but how much generic metalcore is there from Scotland and Wales? Not a lot, but it doesn't do anything to alter the quality of their music. Mendeed could be from the deepest realms of Mokljarg and it wouldn't change a thing.

Silky... people were slagging off Maiden when they came out as being "stagnant" and ripping off Judas Priest.

It is very easy to hate metalcore.  It is difficult to like it despite the preconceptions.  open your mind.

Conor said:
Silky... people were slagging off Maiden when they came out as being "stagnant" and ripping off Judas Priest.

It is very easy to hate metalcore.  It is difficult to like it despite the preconceptions.  open your mind.

You mistake me.  This is not claiming one band to be 'stagnant'; this is an entire scene.  I very much doubt that there were many metalheads who claimed that the NWOBHM genre was stagnant and unoriginal, when it first emerged.  Perhaps some of the more commercial bands got a bit of flak, and Priest may have got some for Point of Entry, but there are vast differences between NWOBHM and metalcore.  NWOBHM was media driven, it is true, but not in the same way that metalcore is.  Metalcore entirely depends on the media for any kind of success-Maiden have always made it clear that they could not give two shits about the critics and nay-sayers.

Conor said:

This is speculation or wishful thinking? Maiden have never sounded a bit like Judas Priest and I don't remember having heard about people slagging Maiden off, while comparing to Priest. And if people think Maiden did sound like Priest (apart from the opening riff of "The Wicker Man"), then they don't know what they are talking about.

Conor said:
Trivium say the same thing :rolleyes:

Yes, but Maiden's naysayers said 'You should do some more commercial material'

Trivium's naysayers say 'Can you please try and write your own music?' and 'In Flames would like their riff back'

Back