American and European Metal

Yea, I dunno, I had a lot of problems with it. I really don't like when bands purposely dumb down their sound. A lot of things that have become part of their signature aren't even there anymore. Barely the same band. Chorus is fucking annoying too.

Agreed, and I see your point. Specifically dumbing down the music on purpose is shameful, but I'll reserve judgment 'til I hear the whole album. The new song seems similar to "Clairvoyant Disease" and "And All Things Will End" off Waking the Fallen, so I can't say as though it's a complete change for them.

My biggest issue with City of Evil, Nightmare, and the self-titled was not really the songwriting (other than the occasionally cringe-worthy tough guy lyrics and ridiculous cursing), but the shift in Shadows' voice to a more nasally, whiney, and thin texture. He sounds better on the new song, IMO, so I'm eager to hear more.

Funnily enough, those are my two least favorite songs on an otherwise great album.

I don't have much of a problem with the voice, the cursing is a bit much. Especially on City of Evil there are some tracks that make me go, "really?"

Either way, despite the fact that I don't listen to this band much anymore, the self titled remains to be one of my favorite albums of all time. As close as they'll ever get to perfection, IMO

I LOVE City of Evil, every track. I don't like cursing in general, but meh, it works. Waking the Fallen is great too, but everything post City of Evil is very hit and miss.

I think the songs on City of Evil are actually quite good, but the vocals drive me nuts. There were rumors that Shadows went through vocal surgery around that time, and judging by the oddness of his voice on that record (and the next two, for that matter), I'd believe it.

Just listen to some of the clean vocals on Waking the Fallen VS. COE, his voice is fuller, less grating, and, to my ears, is incredibly more listenable.

I noticed, but it doesn't bother me as much as Bruces wailing in early Maiden CDs, particularly on Powerslave lol

You mean the shriek thing he does occasionally, or just that the songs are very high? I don't notice any difference. His voice has changed a lot, but I think he wails more nowadays than he used to because he's stretching to hit so many notes he sang in his 20s and 30s.

I like Bruce on the earlier albums. It's less grit but more operatic.

The difference between the clean vocals in CoE and WTF is that he took vocal lessons in between. For CoE he was trying to capture a mix between Chris Cornell and Axl Rose. WTF is, as you point out, fuller. I also get a Hetfield vibe sometimes. I like both styles, they fit their albums well.

I dunno, I can't get into City Of Evil. It's been a very long time since I listened to it though. Even when I was really into this band it was the album I spun the least (not counting the debut). I'll have to put it on later; listened to the s/t the other day and still loved it. Dunno why I see it panned so often, maybe I like this band for different reasons than others.

The difference between the clean vocals in CoE and WTF is that he took vocal lessons in between. For CoE he was trying to capture a mix between Chris Cornell and Axl Rose. WTF is, as you point out, fuller. I also get a Hetfield vibe sometimes. I like both styles, they fit their albums well.

I dunno, I can't get into City Of Evil. It's been a very long time since I listened to it though. Even when I was really into this band it was the album I spun the least (not counting the debut). I'll have to put it on later; listened to the s/t the other day and still loved it. Dunno why I see it panned so often, maybe I like this band for different reasons than others.

Seems that way, I think. I prefer the more Hetfield-esque approach, as I've never been an Axl Rose fan. I worship at the altar of Chris Cornell, but his power lies in only using that screamy-scratchy tone when necessary. If he sang like that all the time (see Audioslave's "Cochise"), I wouldn't listen.

The new track sounds like a return to the WTF-era vocal style, so I hope that pans out (for my preferences, at least). What would you say is their best track from the s/t? Maybe I'll give it another try.

I don't particularly love any of those vocalists, but their voices fit the music that they're singing over. That goes for Shadows too.

As for the S/T, the best track is by far A Little Piece Of Heaven, which used to be my favorite A7X song until Save Me. But every track is great really. I've been really into each one at some point.

You mean the shriek thing he does occasionally, or just that the songs are very high? I don't notice any difference. His voice has changed a lot, but I think he wails more nowadays than he used to because he's stretching to hit so many notes he sang in his 20s and 30s.

Aces High is the specific song I have in mind. I like his voice now a days, I believe he has become a better singer throughout the years. When he was young he was channeling raw talent, now he has technique on top of that.

Aces High is the specific song I have in mind. I like his voice now a days, I believe he has become a better singer throughout the years. When he was young he was channeling raw talent, now he has technique on top of that.

I agree to a certain extent, though some of his high notes nowadays sound like he's really stretching the hell out of his voice. That said, he hits them better than he used to. For evidence just look at the difference in his performance of the bridge of "Heaven Can Wait" from Maiden England and Flight 666. He's got it much better now.

I like Bruce's voice on those first three albums with Maiden. So much power and personality. Though I'd say that his best moments, vocally, are on Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding.

I think Bruce hit is peak in terms of still having his full range/power and having the experience on how to best use them on his solo stuff. He still sounds great, but has lost some of his voice ... but he has adjusted really well.

He sounded really great on BNW and DOD but has been straining more since. That said, his performance on The Talisman is mind blowing, especially given his age.

Yeah, I'm very impressed by Talisman, and in particular, the live performances. It not only tests his range but it's a lengthy song too, with some intensive sections where he hardly gets a chance to rest his voice. It's demanding but he still makes it sound polished. That's probably why it's in my top ten.

Talisman is insane, I don't know how he does it. The quality of his voice has certainly changed and you can hear the strain, but he still hits everything. Like I said with "Heaven Can Wait", he has learned to use his voice much better and has incredible control, especially when compared to the early years. So, in essence, he has traded a bit of his register for better control and understanding of his voice, which still allows him to hit the notes. It's pretty astounding, really.

I do think part of the chorus to BNW sounds strained, as does Mother of Mercy (which is a shame cos the rest of the song is awesome imo). But I think the most strained I can hear these days is actually The Trooper. Perhaps it's just me but he really does sound like he's struggling with it.

However, in general his voice is still in incredibly good shape. There are a few other singers I can think of that have managed to keep an extraordinary voice despite age but many begin to show a lot earlier.

Talisman is insane, I don't know how he does it. The quality of his voice has certainly changed and you can hear the strain, but he still hits everything. Like I said with "Heaven Can Wait", he has learned to use his voice much better and has incredible control, especially when compared to the early years. So, in essence, he has traded a bit of his register for better control and understanding of his voice, which still allows him to hit the notes. It's pretty astounding, really.

Another artist that has done that is Simon Simons from Epica. Design Your Own Universe is hands down her best performance.

Back