Adrian Smith

^ But isn't that what they did with TXF album. They changed the musical style to fit Blaze's vocals - a song like ''2 A.M.'' is a good example for that (or even ''Judgement Of Heaven''). These two songs will not fit Bruce's vocals.

I think he meant playing the songs in a lower key, Blaze struggled with Sign of the Cross etc.

Bruce struggled with The Clansman in 2019 though, Blaze-era material is challenging for even him these days...

I’ve had this bootleg for ages! Nice to hear it again. The encores with the whole of Iron Maiden on stage are really nice.
The setlist for The Entire Population Of Hackney shows was fun:

1.Juanita (Marshall Fury cover)
2.See Me Through (Urchin song)
3.Reach Out
4.Chevrolet (ZZ Top cover)
5.My Lady (Urchin song)
6.Silver And Gold (preceeded by an early version of "Walking On Glass")
7.That Girl (FM cover)
8.Fighting Man (A.S.A.P. song)
9.School Days (A.S.A.P. song)
10.When She's Gone (A.S.A.P. song)
11.Try
12.Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) - Steve and Dave arrive on stage.
13.2 Minutes To Midnight - Bruce arrives on stage.
14.Rosalie (Bob Seger cover)
15.Tush (ZZ Top cover)

Adrian Smith is my favourite guitarist and he has the biggest influence on my own guitar playing. I've really liked most of what he's done as a side project, but especially ASAP and the latest Smith/Kotzen album. Maiden went seriously downhill after Adrian left and were right back on form when he rejoined. That isn't coincidence.

Thanks! How did I miss youtube?
Good question!

If you’re interested in B-sides and Urchin tracks and Primal Rock Rebellion and the like, you can check out the Adrian solo discography ranking thread from 2018, which has links for all of this stuff. It’s possible some of the links are broken now since it’s been a few years, but that should at least try to point you at everything other than Smith/Kotzen.

Maiden went seriously downhill after Adrian left and were right back on form when he rejoined. That isn't coincidence.

I admit this is obviously the wrong thread to argue about that - I like Adrian as a guitarplayer, but his playing injects a lot of standard rock/blues playing whereas especially Janick is more chaos / unique. It's the way all three guitarplayers complement each other that makes Maiden so good post reunion. 80's Maiden is good. Post reunion is out of this world.

Adrian being a little too spot on and by-the-book is my only criticism of him, even if he sounds great. I do like the wildly different approach of Janick and some of Dave's sweeter sound when he's on form. That said, I really like what Adrian's done in Senjutsu, he's stretched out a bit and it's really paid off. Mind you, Janick has had a great run for his money in the new material too.

I admit this is obviously the wrong thread to argue about that - I like Adrian as a guitarplayer, but his playing injects a lot of standard rock/blues playing whereas especially Janick is more chaos / unique. It's the way all three guitarplayers complement each other that makes Maiden so good post reunion. 80's Maiden is good. Post reunion is out of this world.
I agree that the three styles compliment each other very well. They're similar enough to work together but different enough to add variety. That being said, Janick and Dave have more in common as players, while Adrian offers a very different voice. One of the things I really like about Adrian is how he is constantly evolving as a player. He is completely different to the player who first appeared on 'Killers', having added loads of techniques to his repertoire. More than any other guitarist, he brings melody to his solos, which I think is why his solos tend to stay in your mind more than the other two. The way he's been able to fuse so much Blues playing into a traditional Metal style of playing is incredible. His solo on TWOTW is simply stunning. I find Janick's more chaotic style more forgettable, yet ironically, I think he's a superb song writer and his inclusion in the band injected some much needed energy.

Adrian's and Dave's solos in Psycho Motel song ''With You Again'' are great - classic sounding and trademark... the twin-lead guitar harmony too.

This is the only song released in the 90's with the dual solos of Adrian and Dave (thank you for that, Adrian) and one of the few things Dave has done outside of Maiden. The title of the song is really appropriate.

Reactions: AWM
Back