Adrian Smith

I agree that the three styles compliment each other very well. They're similar enough to work together but different enough to add variety. That being said, Janick and Dave have more in common as players, while Adrian offers a very different voice. One of the things I really like about Adrian is how he is constantly evolving as a player. He is completely different to the player who first appeared on 'Killers', having added loads of techniques to his repertoire. More than any other guitarist, he brings melody to his solos, which I think is why his solos tend to stay in your mind more than the other two. The way he's been able to fuse so much Blues playing into a traditional Metal style of playing is incredible. His solo on TWOTW is simply stunning. I find Janick's more chaotic style more forgettable, yet ironically, I think he's a superb song writer and his inclusion in the band injected some much needed energy.

At the same time, Janick's early solos were way more melodic. "Wasting Love" you can sing, as well as "Tattooed Millionaire" and even some off The X Factor". I'd guess it's a choice because of how the band dynamics have been since Adrian rejoined. Someone needs to go crazy, and Adrian's not at it...

At the same time, Janick's early solos were way more melodic. "Wasting Love" you can sing, as well as "Tattooed Millionaire" and even some off The X Factor". I'd guess it's a choice because of how the band dynamics have been since Adrian rejoined. Someone needs to go crazy, and Adrian's not at it...

I think Janick’s best guitar work can be found on Tattooed Millionaire. Some great stuff there.

I can't say I'm that familiar with the early albums involving Janick. NPFTD and FOTD are my least favourite Maiden albums and I haven't listened to them in years now. I did like X-Factor and there was some good material on VXI too but nothing stood out as having Adrian's magic. I think it's because Dave and Janick are very definitely lead players, whereas Adrian seems to have come to lead guitar very much from the perspective of a rhythm player and singer. This means that he solos always have strong melody and groove. Listening to Adrian has completely changed the way I approach playing lead guitar.

Adrian's solo in ''Trumpets Of Jericho'' (from The Chemical Wedding) will fit perfectly in ''The Parchment'' (from Senjutsu) imo - great solo..., it has that ancient feel to it.

Adrian's solo in ''Trumpets Of Jericho'' (from The Chemical Wedding) will fit perfectly in ''The Parchment'' (from Senjutsu) imo - great solo..., it has that ancient feel to it.

His Book of Thel solo fit real well in Senjutsu too!

3 Including himself, I suppose? Janick (only 1 solo), Roy and Adrian.
He did not do the Dave Murray solos, that was the other guy. And there were no Alex Dickson solos in this tour.

Last edited:
I stand up corrected.

I vaguely remember that but I just checked an audio concert on YouTube and could not hear it well. It is not easy with that constant effect over it.
But after checking some other bootlegs (especially Paris which has the guitars panned) it is easier indeed. And here is a video of it.

So, 1 Dave solo indeed.

In other news... Ade is in Paris with Nathalie...

It could be just a trip eith his wife, however, if there are other band members sightings (minus Bruce ofc, since his partner is from Paris), there could be something brewing.

In other news... Ade is in Paris with Nathalie...

It could be just a trip eith his wife, however, if there are other band members sightings (minus Bruce ofc, since his partner is from Paris), there could be something brewing.

It might be too tight to record a Maiden album there when Steve has a pub tour starting in less than two weeks. ;)

3 Including himself, I suppose? Janick (only 1 solo), Roy and Adrian.
He did not do the Dave Murray solos, that was the other guy. And there were no Alex Dickson solos in this tour.
1st solo of Powerslave on the Euro leg of the tour was done by H.

Two Murray solos have been taken by H. Powerslave, ocassionaly. The first one, present on almost every gig 1997-99. It was one of the staples of the live set. Does it ring a bell? ;)

Back