Adrian Smith

Decent song, but the drums are definitely programmed or at the very least almost entirely sample replaced. I would have preferred a more subtle, realistic sounding approach.

but the drums are definitely programmed or at the very least almost entirely sample replaced. I would have preferred a more subtle, realistic sounding approach.
I thought so as well. Although I do not hear that much more "inhumanity" in it than in Primal Rock Rebellion's drums.

Okay song (not fond of the Kotzen vocals), but at the moment I'm more excited about that Gangland vid.

Last edited:
I'd put money that second is Smith. Then again I don't know Kotzen's playstyle, then again so many signature Smith moments are in that second one.

Yeah I don't know Kotzen's style either which is why I couldn't say for certain, but the fast runs around 3.40 and towards the end of that phrase, seem faster than H's usual. I take @mihai's point that the wah in the second sounds much more like H than the wah in the first.

Not trying to defend it too much, but I think this kind of production may have fitted best to their working method. Which was probably quick, and without a drummer present. Main emphasis -focus- was their guitar and vocal interaction, and these ingredients (well, main dishes) might have been recorded the Buckethead way (I think Buckethead worked often likes this): making music over a computer (programmed) rhythm, probably something (even less produced and way more simple), and then instead of using a real drummer afterwards (which is no chickenshit) they had someone, or even Kotzen himself, to expand on the rhythm, or completely replace it with another programmed track, which naturally had to have the same speed and follow/complement the action/accents in the music.

Last edited:
The second is Kotzen, because it's audible that it's fingerpicked.

It says on wiki that he plays fingerstlye since 2007 but you can see recent(ish) pictures of him playing with a pick on google images.

Back