Adrian Smith

Thanks! Exactly what I was wondering about. I’ll check it out for sure, just want to set expectations. It’s cool that they’re writing about the things that interest them, even if it’s not just music. They’re probably more interesting people for it.
Yes it is a fishing book, and I certainly would not have minded more Maiden anekdotes, but still a pleasant read!

Not a big fan of continuous tambourine playing, and the super sweet high backing vocals in the chorus. I read in a YouTube comment that this style sounds like Kotzen solo work.

Nice to see someone from Maiden being creative again. Looking forward to more.

Nice song. I really like the groove. :edmetal:

Happy to see a member of the band release new music.

More news about the Smith/Kotzen project coming in 2021:

Last edited:
"Adrian Smith and I discussing the magic of writing songs in C-sharp minor."

The positions of the usual rock/blues boxes when soloing over C# min are great. You have complete fretboard as you can incorporate stuff between open 6th string down to the 21st fret of the 1st. These positions become B minor in standard D tuning, so it can be used nicely to put some blues in the downtuned metal sound.

I don't know anything of Kotzen or his work. The song - well I played it and wandered off, and then I did it again. It's quite boring, the heaviness of the beginning gets lost and song gets stale and soft, the solos are good I presume the second one is Smith.

I don't know anything of Kotzen or his work. The song - well I played it and wandered off, and then I did it again. It's quite boring, the heaviness of the beginning gets lost and song gets stale and soft, the solos are good I presume the second one is Smith.
I have tried to give him a listen a few times, his solo stuff and the Winery Dogs albums .... they sound pretty similar to this song to me. I'll listen to more when they release the album, I am hoping other songs will sound more like Adrian and less like Kotzen, who I do think has a good voice.

Yeah the guy seems pretty talented at both vocals and guitar, I hope some great stuff comes out on this album.

I'd put money that second is Smith. Then again I don't know Kotzen's playstyle, then again so many signature Smith moments are in that second one.

Back