Adrian Smith

It doesn’t specify that he was actually playing drums. He might be using a laptop or better, a phone with Garage Band.
Honestly, if he actually did it on his phone with GarageBand, that'd be far more impressive than him doing it on real drums that are then quantized in ProTools and sample-replaced.

This reminds me of Bruce’s solo band when Adrian was technically a bit behind what Roy Z was doing. It was a contrast from Maiden where Adrian was the technically more proficient player and was being challenged more. He started to do some more stuff and really pushed some boundaries with his playing. Seems like some similar stuff is happening on this track, hope there’s more of that. Kotzen is a monster player.

Production is bad, sounds like an early mix though and maybe the final album will be a bit clearer?

Here's TAB for Adrian's solo. I'll do Kotzen this weekend.

Attachments

• Smith:Kotzen - Taking My Chances (Adrian Solo).pdf
    101.2 KB · Views: 9
I would have like Adrian to do a solo album in the vein of A.S.A.P.'s Silver And Gold again - I really like this album, but I guess the late 80's was a perfect moment in time for releasing such a album...

Dave's legato is absolutely legendary so I think that it's pretty hard to argue against his guitar-playing prowess.

Some of the solos Dave threw out on NPFTD are straight Smith style, effortlessly.

How the hell could Smith be considered a better player than Murray? He certainly has improved a lot since the early days, while Murray isn't the hardest working musician, but Murray's playing flows so naturally. And, as far as I can remember, we never heard a bad performance from him, nothing comparable to H in RiR. The man has always been the best guitar player in Maiden.

Last edited:
"Technically proficient" ? If technique is everything, then Steve Vai, Malmsteen and all those super fast players are the best. No contest. I put fluidity over everything and in this respect, Dave is fantastic.

"Technically proficient" ? If technique is everything, then Steve Vai, Malmsteen and all those super fast players are the best. No contest. I put fluidity over everything and in this respect, Dave is fantastic.
Dave’s a great guitar player and very fluid, but yes, both of the people you mentioned are vastly superior players. Fluidity means little if you only have one trick. Adrian continued to evolve and learn new tricks, Dave didn’t.

Not trying to shit on Dave, but Adrian is far better and has better technique.

Back