Adrian Smith

I hear his contribution on those too. Man on the edge's riffs are more powerful, there's a great rhythm section behind Murray/Gers solo in Futureal and on Lord of The Flies he adds some great precise chug on the intro.

Today I've listened to the A.S.A.P. album Silver and Gold '89 and I easily can say that it is one of the best hard rock albums. All the songs are very good and Adrian has a fantastic warm voice ideal for hard rock. My favorite song from this album is actually a bonus song - ''When She's Gone'', fantastic song that I consider to be the best song of Adrian (with him on vocals). ''The Lion'' is another amazing song.

He is the secret weapon of Iron Maiden ! Such a talented musician. :)

Adrian is very precise, his solos are always melodic and he likes to spend some time on them before start recording. All his solos on TBOS album are top-notch.... on DOD album too. Dave and Janick prefers to improvise (especially Janick), but not Adrian - that's what I call intelligent musician.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jer
No. That's not the point here.

Every solo was "improvised" somewhere down the line. It's whether you're developing it further by actually thinking about the parts and notes and changing and improving stuff, or leaving it as is.

But again I don't think that Murray and Gers solos are bad. Dave Murray ffs. Smith likes to put a lot of styles in and that's why he probably develops an initially improvised melodic pattern into something else. There's nothing wrong about this if the end products are of the same calibre. Sometimes during these last 20 years, Murray or Gers solos would sound really uninteresting compared to preceding or following Smith solo. That's why maybe it would be good if they would sometimes leave an extra afternoon in studios and work around solos that didn't exactly explode on the first take.

Some people like to listen to improvised music. That's called different tastes.

^True. I just wanted to note that Adrian's solos always sounds (to me at least) very precise.
Every solo was "improvised" somewhere down the line. It's whether you're developing it further by actually thinking about the parts and notes and changing and improving stuff, or leaving it as is.

That's also true.
But again I don't think that Murray and Gers solos are bad. Dave Murray ffs.

I never have say such thing. :huh:

Yeah I just wanted to point out that so people wouldn't get something wrong. Personally, Murray is as much as a soloist as Smith, without the studious approach to solo composition.

Yeah I just wanted to point out that so people wouldn't get something wrong. Personally, Murray is as much as a soloist as Smith, without the studious approach to solo composition.
I rate & enjoy spontaneity, even in the studio. That's really all I wanted to say.

View attachment 8189

H & Rob (photo from his wife’s Instagram).
Oh hell. I read this, went "cool" then went "wait, Rob Trujillo?" and got momentarily excited. I'd love to see and hear whatever that particular jam session produced.

e: I assume it's an old pic given the guitar, so I wouldn't get too excited over it.

Back