Adrian, Janick and Dave's guitars and Steve's basses

Thank you for this.

On a side note, I just found out a photo on a Facebook page dedicated to H where he plays a Sunburst Strat during TFF tour. Is this from a concert or just rehearsals? I see that this axe has a rosewood fingerboard, while H's strats are all maple, as far I as know.

View attachment 6801
This Strat is constantly in Florida at Nicko's and is used by H when they jam. See Nicko's 60th birthday jam.

Ok, the last 2 guitars of H's worth mentioning

Gibson Slash Signature Model, Rosso Corsa
-Seymour Duncan Alnico II pickups
-Slash logo taped over
-Used on FOTD and IM until the 2nd LA show in 2016
-Now owned by The Wild Lies's guitarist

*Can't find a photo currently

*Here is a photo of Adrian's red Gibson ;) it's really suits him.

imfotd16.jpg

FYI. This Gibson isn't H's anymore. He sold? it to Zak Mueller of The Wild Lies.

Wow, I already know that ! In fact, you've mentioned that he sold it to a guitarist of The Wild Lies.

I just share a picture of that guitar because Adrian used it on TBOS tour 2016 leg for the FOTD and IM songs. And TBOS: LC contains footage with this guitar for the two songs that I mentioned.
You have write the following thing: *Can't find a photo currently - and I just posted the picture of the red Gibson !!!

Wow, I already know that ! In fact, you've mentioned that he sold it to a guitarist of The Wild Lies.

I just share a picture of that guitar because Adrian used it on TBOS tour 2016 leg for the FOTD and IM songs. And TBOS: LC contains footage with this guitar for the two songs that I mentioned.
You have write the following thing: *Can't find a photo currently - and I just posted the picture of the red Gibson !!!

Relax, it was just an FYI ... :blink:

122(2).jpg

What a great picture ! These guitars are so typical for a glam/hair metal band... :D I must say that this guitar on the picture really suits Adrian :)

Hey @matic22 do we know anything about preferred string action by each of the Amigos? I know it's a crazy detail, but well, it does factor in. ;)

I can't iamgine anything has changed much, but I recall an article where all three discussed this. Dave stated his action is pretty high. Probably those glorious bends of his. H low.

Hey @matic22 do we know anything about preferred string action by each of the Amigos? I know it's a crazy detail, but well, it does factor in. ;)
Ufff... I think H is pretty low, Davey a bit higher, because of his legato playing (it's lowe now, Colin said that he lowered the action on his main strat during ME tour), Janick is a bit higher, I guess.

Ah, found it: circa 2007
https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/backstage-pass/iron-maiden

JG: I have a black Fender Custom Shop Strat that’s a copy of my original ’66 Strat. It was the main guitar I used on the album and I also have a white ’70s model, too. I like the action pretty high because I don’t want any fret buzz. I use .010-.046-gauge strings and heavy picks.

DM:
I’ve been playing Fender guitars for years and my main one is a Strat with Hot Rails and a Floyd Rose tremolo. The newer Fenders are real workhorse guitars that can take the strain of the road and they sound great for what we’re doing. I use a Les Paul, too, which I played on some of the solos on the record. The Les Paul adds more variety to all the Strat sounds. I like to get underneath the strings so I can bend, so I don’t like the action too low I prefer it sort of high. I’m using .009s and heavy picks.

AS:
I’ve got a Strat with a maple neck and Floyd Rose bridge. It’s just one in a hundred guitars, but it’s a bit special. I don’t really use the single-coils, but use the bridge-position humbucker most of the time. I’ve also got a goldtop Les Paul that I used on Bloodbrothers, but most of the time I use my Strat. I have the action set up quite high these days. I used to set it really low, but I think that it sounds better with higher action, because you get more vibration and sustain. I have the pickups set up as high as they can go without getting caught in the strings. I think that if you can get the guitar as loud as it can go acoustically, when you plug in an amp you’re going to be ahead of the game. I use custom-gauge strings (.009, .011, .016. .024, .036, .046) and heavy picks.

Oh, wow. Thanks, Cried! Ha, didn't expect to find such exact info. ;)

Interesting that they set it high, because you hear so much about how low action is the default "good" setup. I was interested mainly in Janick, because I'm trying to figure out what creates that cool "dirtiness" of his tone. It must come from beyond the amp. Maybe even that heavy pick has an effect.

Low action - easier playing, especially things like sweeping. Higher action increases the physical length of effective hypotenuses which vibrates, e.g. a part of the string between a pressed fret and the bridge, and extends the distance to the woodwork that as far as all things concerned, is actually dampening most of the harmonics.

because I'm trying to figure out what creates that cool "dirtiness" of his tone. It must come from beyond the amp. Maybe even that heavy pick has an effect.

Distortion and equalization that favours harmonics, scooped mid range or something alike, playing fast and sloppy enough to hit a note with variable force due to heavy pick and his style of picking (check how he pivots around the low palm, especially the offset between up-down in alt pick, it's not economic at all), partially fretting notes (temple not fully exerting the force needed for the high action) at the time of pick making all sorts of note artifacts (harmonics of variable volume) spawning around.

I'm a fan of this style bar the sloppiness and unwanted artifacts creating dirtiness. I despise guitarists that play 300 bpm solos on nanometer action with pick movements so tiny they barely touch the string. The said style requires highly amplified presets to get the big sound out of small physical force and it's basically limited to that shit only. Try to do a simple blues lick that needs real sustain and variety in picking force translated to the sound and you're fucked.

Oh, wow. Thanks, Cried! Ha, didn't expect to find such exact info. ;)

Interesting that they set it high, because you hear so much about how low action is the default "good" setup. I was interested mainly in Janick, because I'm trying to figure out what creates that cool "dirtiness" of his tone. It must come from beyond the amp. Maybe even that heavy pick has an effect.
Can ask him next time if I spot him in a local discount hardware store. I have been told he often goes to small gigs locally too, because he likes to hear what young bands are up to.

Does anyone know if H's green Jackson is still loaded with a Seymour Duncan pickup in the bridge?

Back